PDA

View Full Version : Which one to buy???

Artbynan
05-19-2003, 07:08 AM
Hi, you all:
I'm going back to the States soon for Summer and I'd love to buy a set of Professional Soft Pastels!!!
Can all the knowledgeable people, please, guide me thru this one and tell me which one to get???
Greeting from Oman!!!
:angel:

christmascarolnz
05-19-2003, 07:41 AM
Hi Oman. I use Derwent pastel pencils. They are very nice to work with and softish. Faber Castell ones are quite hard and good for detail, and the Othello pencils are soft as well.
Sharpening the things can be a bother with the pastel tips breaking off, so I use a knife rather than a pencil sharpener.
All the best,
Carol

christmascarolnz
05-19-2003, 07:43 AM
oops, my apology Artbynan - I thought your name was Oman! How 'duh' is that?
All the best,
Carol

soap
05-19-2003, 08:01 AM
Hi there - oooh, so much to choose from.......I like Rembrandts very much. Unisons are good too! Or Schmincke....but they might be a bit too soft for a starter set. Not sure if you already have some pastels.....

jackiesimmonds
05-19-2003, 12:21 PM
the best quality SOFT PASTELS (I assume this is what you want, not pastel pencils?) are:

SCHMINKE (extremely soft and buttery in consistency)
UNISON (still soft, but slightly "drier" than Schminke)
ROWNEY (Soft and creamy, but the sticks are thinner than the other two)

Up there in the publicity stakes is SENNELIER, but they have a nasty tendency to break inside their wrappers, which is a real waste of money. A good, unbroken one, is nice and soft tho.

In my opinion, further down the softness range are REMBRANDT and WINSOR AND NEWTON.

None of the other makes here in the UK fall into the category of "best quality soft pastels", but there might be some of the US makes in your area. You can get extremely good soft pastels in the States, those made by Terry Ludwig are very good indeed.

Jackie

bnoonan
05-19-2003, 12:27 PM
Schmincke! Schmincke! Schmincke!

It's the soft pastel of choice - but to be used over the rembrandts so can you buy both???

If not... Schmincke!

(Can you tell I have a definite opinion on this?)

Barb

Koert
05-19-2003, 12:38 PM
tried shminckes the other day...
they're still to soft for me though, need more experience and skills first...

christmascarolnz
05-19-2003, 06:31 PM
ohhh - I must have been up too late last night! I could have sworn the message read 'professional soft pencils' and I thought pastel pencils. My apologies. However, the pencils are good too.
As for pastels - I like Windsor & Newton for price and general use
but the 3 Schminke pastels I own are lovely. Daler Rowney are lovely to use as well.
Cheers,
Carol

Bobbie
05-24-2003, 01:44 AM
There are 2 more buttery, delicious brands: Mt. Vision & Great American. I think they are of equal softness to Schminke. Check them out at www.dakotapastels.com. They also give a softness rating that I find quite useful. I think my most favorite pastel, though, is Unison. Their colors are so incredible. For pencils the new Faber " Pitt" pencils are terrific. I think the 2nd in softness is Carbothello.

djstar
05-24-2003, 02:02 AM
If you will be in New York, go find the amazing art stores like PEARL and touch them yourself.
I will still promote Terry Ludwig, He is onlline at terryludwig.com and lives in Denver. He is a real person and has the butteriest (I liked Diane Townsend but they literally dissolved in my hands.
Quantity will be a problem.
What sort of collection do you want and what is your price range?
I like Terry's low tech foam in cardboard packaging. There are like 50 is in a box, so if you wanted a lot, it would be a lot of packing, but I have yet to destroy them.
Rembrandts and such come in nice starter boxes going all the way up to cases...
Most of the commercial ones have their goods and bads. The trick would be as to whether you want to pick your own colors or take them pre-packed.
WE are not helping. WE need more input as to what YOU expect from your sticks!
dj*