PDA

View Full Version : call it what you will...

']['REMBLE
05-19-2003, 12:42 AM
another like the other...

surreal
05-19-2003, 01:02 AM
Looks like a very intricate wrought iron design.

I like it!

']['REMBLE
05-19-2003, 01:17 AM
thanx Nina! love your trees btw...:D
']['

Koert
05-19-2003, 04:11 AM
This is great
only thing i don't like are the big highlights in the four corners

']['REMBLE
05-19-2003, 11:56 AM
yeah, probably should've cropped that... ah, well...:rolleyes:
glad you like it otherwise.
']['

marc
05-19-2003, 12:34 PM
Is this another of your intricate pen and ink drawings that's been photoshopped? I think the drawing looks like it's worthy of much better digital treatment than this, as it's another cool design.. it's easy to slap on a few filters, but with all the attention to detail you put into the original drawing I feel it's a shame not to give equal thought to the digital side.

I think especially the blending of the edges and the background could be done better.

On the other hand, I think it's a very cool original design, with lots of neat ideas.

I don't know if this comes across as stupid critique, if so, just ignore me. ;) I just think that your pen and ink drawings have so much attention to detail that your digital post processing should match that. I also know about playing around though, so don't take it as a criticism of your work. My favourite pen and ink of yours is the one you called 'metallic thingy', it's got a whole life of its own :)

']['REMBLE
05-19-2003, 12:44 PM
thanx for your input marc. The whole idea of this manipulation kick that i've been on lately, is to teach myself photoshop. (i have a digital mental block,lol) believe me, i am not offended in any way:D i prefer the original p&i abstracts myself..
']['

marc
05-19-2003, 01:01 PM
A digital mental block? That ought to be impossible! :D With digital you can always scrap whatever you just tried and do something completely different instead... ahh, if only traditional media was that easy ;) (says I, who is trying to learn this)..

Btw, if you want to learn basic photoshop skills, I recommend 'photoshop classroom in a book' by adobe press; there are many good, useful tutorials in a sober step-by-step form. Of course there's a whole universe of photoshop books, many filled with cool tips and tricks, but I like the above as a guide to understanding how to get to grips with important tools - when you know how they work you can do anything.

']['REMBLE
05-19-2003, 03:20 PM
marc, i've got one of those "Adobe Photoshop, Classroom in a Book", but it's for p-shop 5 and i'm running p-shop 7... guess that won't matter for the basics...started that once, but got bored cuz the first stuff you do is SO basic, i already knew what it was trying to tell me. i was impatient. i will try it again, and just skip over the simple stuff... thanx for reminding me:D
']['

marc
05-19-2003, 04:17 PM
Hey, if the book bores you, don't use it ;)

There'll be stuff that's different or not included since it's been several major revisions.. but I found my version (which corresponded to what I used then) to be helpful in teaching the nuances of the tools.. it's such a huge program and there are boatloads of shortcuts and extra little features that are hard to come by.. but a good foundation makes it easier to figure things out anyway until you know more about clever tricks.. the whole layers/channels/masks bit provides immense control when you feel familiar with it.

The cool thing about photoshop is also that you don't need to know everything, you can develop your own style.. for instance, some people paint almost exclusively using dodge and burn and others control all their colour needs exclusively with layer blending.

Don't forget that there are loads of excellent tutorials online that will often function like missing pieces of a puzzle.