PDA

View Full Version : Ink - "Sole of Foot"

kare
05-18-2003, 04:41 PM
My first sketch of a foot.. My boyfriend was reading a book on the bed lastnight and i took the chance of sketching his foot, which was originally proped up on his other foot, though he moved so much that the other foot then became the sheet lol

all comments welcome.
ciarrai

"Sole of Foot" ink (29.7x21.1cm) May 18, 2003.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2003/18486-foot1.jpg

close up of the toes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2003/18486-foot2.jpg

another image of the whole drawing:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2003/18486-foot3.jpg

beatle_john
05-18-2003, 06:58 PM
Vrey nice! :)

What do you feel different about working from images and working from life?

You have a very good sense of observation and that's very important when working as you're doing in this one, looking at every detail and putting it on the draw...

This one could have some stronger shadows or maybe some mid-values between lights and shadows to be improved, but is really no necesary, it looks very good to me what you've done here...

Working with pen, from a point of view, could mean working with lines, lines produce everything on the drawing, such as forms and shadows, the direction You use on lines changes the perception on the drawing, on this work You're doing most of the shadows with crossed lines, it looks very good, as a suggestion experiment with other directions of lines in order to see how a similar drawing changes when done with diferent directions of lines, an interesting way to do shadows with pen is to trace lines following the form and there are others...

Hope to see more of your sketching :)

Regards...

artdude
05-18-2003, 08:32 PM
I'm not much of an anotomy expert, but I think you did a SPLENDID job with this!! :D:)

beatle_john has a great idea of trying different line techniques to see how the same drawing would look :) Try some contour lines that follow the curve of the foot :D

:clap: :cat: :clap:

kare
05-18-2003, 08:52 PM
Hallo Edgar-
thankyou for the reply!! i bought my sketchpad into work with me today.. i'm hoping to sit at this big window near my deks and sketch some of the trees outside.. at the moment (apart from this weekend just gone) i'm trying to sketch something each day..
I see what you mean about contours.. and i will try adding a thicker contour to balance the drawing out.

Thankyou :)
by te way.. i'm wondering if anyone actually bids on sketches on ebay... ??? lol

Artdude..
may i tell you something? i hope you don't get offended, but being a huge beatles fan.. you remind me alot of Ringo Starr!! if thats bad on your part, please don't hold that against me.. but really, Ringo and John were the best of them if you ask me.. so please take it as a compliment!! :)

ciarrai

BTDogMom
05-18-2003, 09:10 PM
Ciarri - this is the best ink that u have done 2 date!!!:clap: :clap: Wonderful job!

kare
05-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Oh...

now i'm flattered.. i could become a foot-portraitor!! :D
thankyou for looking BT!! i want to keep improving!

seejay
05-18-2003, 10:57 PM
You've done a great job - feet are so bloody difficult to draw!;)

Thanks for the reminder - I have to add "feet" to my evergrowing list of things to practice drawing - so little time, so much to do!

kare
05-18-2003, 11:18 PM
seejay;
no worries :) today is such a bright sunny day here in Qld, Australia.. i wish i were outside sketching the trees and people about their daily adventures *SIGH*

i must say.. i am in a very good mood and i cannot wait to get home this evening to get started on a few sketches.
i wish i had a fantastic imagination and could draw dragons and sorts.. but for now, maybe for ever (?) i have to keep trying new things! if you ever get around to drawing 'that foot' seejay.. let me know!!! :)

jjsangel
05-18-2003, 11:43 PM
Hey Ciarrai, I think you did a pretty darn good job on this foot. If you throw in some of the contour lines it will really be great.:D

kare
05-19-2003, 12:43 AM
thanks jj!
i'm going to try my hand at some more sketches similar to this.. so i'm aiming to improve!! :s

seejay
05-19-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by ciarrai
today is such a bright sunny day here in Qld, Australia.. i wish i were outside sketching the trees and ...

Tell me about it!;) I'm stuck at work myself, looking out the window....

I'll try to remember to do a foot sometime...

Cheers

Petdevils
05-19-2003, 02:33 AM
so draw the view including the view.. or make one up you'd rather see :)

artdude
05-19-2003, 10:59 AM

Artdude..
may i tell you something? i hope you don't get offended, but being a huge beatles fan.. you remind me alot of Ringo Starr!! if thats bad on your part, please don't hold that against me.. but really, Ringo and John were the best of them if you ask me.. so please take it as a compliment!! :)

ciarrai

LOL...nope, not offended :D I think maybe it's the sunglasses and beard? Now that you have pointed that out I can see the resemblance too :D:) Used to play guitar in a band but not drums :)

els
05-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Great sketch... Just a small nit: his heel seem to be a bit small compared to his fingers... Great drawing anyway...

kare
05-19-2003, 04:14 PM
LOL he has been told that his feet looks like a niandathol's feet (caveman)...

kare
05-19-2003, 06:40 PM
I've a question..

Where did you all start out when you first started ink (if you use ink, that is)..

what other techniques are there in ink also.. if there are others... LOL

;)

MonicaB
05-19-2003, 08:29 PM
I've a question..

Where did you all start out when you first started ink (if you use ink, that is)..

what other techniques are there in ink also.. if there are others... LOL

;)

So, you're not asking for much, are you? :D LOL I haven't taken any classes - got all my ink larnin' from books. In addition to the wonderful articles here, these are my favs:

1. Anything by Claudia Nice. I started with her "First Steps: Drawing in Pen and Ink" book by Northlight Books. She has at least 3 others, probably more, and some videos. Here's her website:

http://www.brightwoodstudio.com/

2. Gary Simmons - The Technical Pen. I've about memorized this one, i think. Even though it's got a lot about technical pens in it, you can use all the same techniques with any kind of pen.

3. Some older books on pen and ink by Arthur Guptill. I believe he's dead but publishers are still reprinting his books.

Any of these you can find cheap on eBay or thru Amazon's used book stores.

HTH! :D

MonicaB
05-19-2003, 08:30 PM
Oh yes, and if you don't want to buy books to see samples, just browse the archive here and look for threads with the paper clip on the title. . .

Wait, I guess that only shows up if you upload an image a certain way. . . Never mind!