PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastels 18th May - 24th May

Dark_Shades
05-18-2003, 04:38 PM
ok the flood gates are open again ......... this is erm...... think 14th Week :D

the idea is to paint quick n loose ..... in a set time of ..... 30 mins-45- 60mins and post the results at the point you are at (so we can all have a giggle :) ) ...... <<<< only joking!!
its open to all and any that want to participate, no matter what your skill level is..... to the humble newbie, to experienced pastellists ......
You can always carry on working on your piece later ...... its all about having fun and joining in ....... there really has been some great paintings through this weekly thread ....... lots of encouragement, support, advise and critique if you want it .... questions answered ..... there is a link back on each previous week ....... or just pop in for a natter :D

see you all later ........ have fun

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106799

flower
05-19-2003, 11:53 AM
Hi everyone,

Just been working on a photo i took in west kirby in the wirral it was on new years day this year, and was really warm, i thought it might be a good exercise in reflections, i would welcome any help on how you go about doing something like this, do you sketch it out first, or is it experience?
It was done on daler-rowney, 150 gm, beige col. paper, 12x9". I am including the photo, it took me an hour but theres lots more to do to it.
Thanks for viewing

flower
05-19-2003, 11:55 AM
Hereīs the photo,

Dark_Shades
05-19-2003, 01:41 PM
lovely photo flower...... can see why you wanted to paint it ...... beautiful colours.... looks peaceful and calming...... looking at the photo, that could be a space ship ..... and the dark shadows, little people going off into it lolol... and theres me thinking I dont have an imagination :)

..... if you could try and use the uploader for posting your photos and paintings....... (top right of screen) it would help, as when people comment, they get a view of the work and is easier to comment on .....
So Im using my memory now of your painting :) ..... I loved how you got the sky ..... has set the mood, and will love looking at this when you have finished....... as for your question, well I dont think there is an awful lot to sketch, but I would of perhaps just put a few lines for the horizon/land and moon something like that ..... the horizon not being dead centre on the page

flower
05-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Hi Dawn,

I think i must be computer thick, i use the uploader button at the top and then i copy the thread number, then i minimise it, and then i write my post and then i go to the bottom of the page, attach file and i thought that was it.............................LOL HELP will i ever learn the computer LOL

Thanks for your comments, its actually amazing but the people you see in the distance look as though there walking on water, theres a kind of road built through the water, i have more pics from here i will post in the ref. lib. i thought it was a good practice photo,..........................and ty for taking the time

Dark_Shades
05-19-2003, 05:41 PM
No worries flower :) (In her best Charlie Williams Voice) ..... I have just sent a long pm to someone about how to use the uploader..... it seemed to work for them so I will forward it onto you.... so hope it helps

keep pastelling ..... you are doing good
by the way...... congrats on your Merit :clap:

flower
05-19-2003, 05:44 PM
Hi Dawn,

Glad that you live in my computer cos when iīm not sure about something you are there..............LOL would welcome any computer help as well as pastel help........................and on my Merit iīm over the moon, donīt know what i did to deserve it but its nice to have, ty those in WC that gave it to me

Dark_Shades
05-19-2003, 05:51 PM
well for what its worth and for what I know, am glad to share - I received so much encouragement and support on going WC, the least I can do is reply in 'kind' :) and Im more than happy to.

..... I sent you a pm flower in regards to details on the uploader

flower
05-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Hi Dawn,

Got it going to translate it LOL ty so much, hope i can get it to work , the old motto "try and try again and if you donīt succeed try and try again" ............LOL

doe
05-19-2003, 06:08 PM
Patricia - that is a stunning scene and as far as sketching in first there's very little to do, as Dawn said. Now you might want to straighten out the horizon line and also move it if possible. Even though the photo is evenly divided, the painting will look better if it is not evenly divided. My approach would be to see which looked better, less sky or less water then place the horizon accordingly. Look forward to seeing the next phase.

By the way Dawn I meant to tell you that I went to buy some black paper the other day and the stores (two art supply stores) didn't have any - is it all at your house? I wanted to paint the oak in a larger format and the only piece I have left is 9 x 12ish, so I'll either have to order or take a longer trip to Jerry's.:(

Dark_Shades
05-19-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by doe

By the way Dawn I meant to tell you that I went to buy some black paper the other day and the stores (two art supply stores) didn't have any - is it all at your house? I wanted to paint the oak in a larger format and the only piece I have left is 9 x 12ish, so I'll either have to order or take a longer trip to Jerry's.:(

lolol doe :D ..... sowey hee hee ...... well I ordered it from Dick Blick... have you tried there?

oramasha
05-19-2003, 06:19 PM
patricia-- i can't help you technically; but i think this is coming along beautifully. nice choice of subtle, but dramatic colors.

dark shades-- can you please forward that upload e-mail to me too? i had troubles, last time, too.. .lol.

Dark_Shades
05-19-2003, 06:21 PM
well I did this for the weekly pastel thread in mind, though I have now posted it out into the forum.

It took just over an hour and a half..... on art spectrum colour fix card.... 9 x 12 Blue

I am really quite pleased with the two Ive painted this weekend on this paper..... and am definately going to order more

Never done a seascape or anything like this before... boats, sky ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2003/12116-Escape.jpg

Dark_Shades
05-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by oramasha
patricia-- i can't help you technically; but i think this is coming along beautifully. nice choice of subtle, but dramatic colors.

dark shades-- can you please forward that upload e-mail to me too? i had troubles, last time, too.. .lol.

all done Oramasha...... sent it to your pm box

flower
05-19-2003, 07:01 PM
Hey Dawn,

I think its great for your not experience in boats and sea its come out great, i just think maybe in the foreground it should be beach or maybe the waves should come a bit more to the foreground, only a personal opinion but from one who loves the sea and beaches...........LOL

flower
05-19-2003, 07:04 PM
Hi Oramasha

Thanks for your comments and taking the time to look

Mo.
05-19-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by flower
Hi everyone,

Just been working on a photo i took in west kirby in the wirral it was on new years day this year, and was really warm, i thought it might be a good exercise in reflections, i would welcome any help on how you go about doing something like this, do you sketch it out first, or is it experience?
It was done on daler-rowney, 150 gm, beige col. paper, 12x9". I am including the photo, it took me an hour but theres lots more to do to it.
Thanks for viewing

Patricia.. You are doing great work with this...not an easy subject you have chosen either, what I would do with this sort of thing would be to look for shapes, if you feel you want to sketch a rough outline then fine, and yes be careful of where you place your horizon, also make sure it's straight.. this ref pic is all about colour and shapes, the pic is obviously a mirror image, if you squint your eyes when looking at the ref pic, it will blot out major details, then you will see your darks, lights, midtones more clearly, paint these as you see them, just go straight in with the colours and don't be afraid to use artistic license, you are an artist experiment and do your own thing, don't follow everything that is in a photo, look and interpret it your way,add things, subtract things... I think you know what I mean.... have fun! :)

Cheers,
Mo.

doe
05-19-2003, 10:56 PM
Dawn - great seascape - no land in sight! Well, except for some rocks, with no green moss on them! Nice job!

Since EJ is off doing figure work, we haven't had any apples here lately so here's some apples, on my traditional blue napkin, not EJ's slip. On white paper, because Dawn owns all the black paper, 9 x 12 about an hour.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2003/12181-apples.jpg

Dark_Shades
05-20-2003, 04:08 AM
Lol Flower...... well I did so much with my imagination..... erm, I think an imaginary beach would stretch it to far lolol

Craig Houghton
05-20-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by doe
On white paper, because Dawn owns all the black paper,

not all of it! ;)

rembrandt and sennelier on 9x12 black mis-tientes - 1 hour and a half (all the little spots of fruit took much longer than I thought they would :P ) it's a bit of a rush-job.

-Craig

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2003/21273-fruitbowlJPG.jpg

E-J
05-20-2003, 06:52 AM
Patricia ~ what a nice sketch :) I would just make sure the horizon line isn't sloping down on the left. Look forward to seeing you get as comfortable with the Uploader as you're getting with the pastels :D

Cute apples, doe. I wish I had more time to sketch lately ... Mon and Tues are non-pastelling days now :crying: On the bright side, I've got 6 lovely new sheets of Somerset Velvet ... also intend to try the Starcke Ersta [sp?] that came in my Dakota sample pack ... so tomorrow my pastels are definitely coming out to play. A couple of friends have expressed an interest in buying my greetings cards so that's something else I'm working on :)

Craig, your fruits are yummy looking ~ dramatic shadows, too. I still like that black!

doe
05-20-2003, 08:28 AM
Craig - glad you managed to snag a piece of black paper, your still life looks wonderful on it!

EJ - Oh, too bad about Mon. & Tues. I tend to not get to anything until the end of the week too. Forced myself to sketch something last night before I ate the apples. Is the Somerset black? and I've never heard of the other one, dying to see how they work out.

P.S. to Craig - I just noticed you live in Cheshire, CT - I lived in CT for a long time - outside of Norwich, Lebanon, Tolland, Rocky Hill, Hartford, Bloomfield, and Old Wethersfield mostly.

E-J
05-20-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by doe
Is the Somerset black? and I've never heard of the other one, dying to see how they work out.

doe, my Somerset Pastel pack has one sheet of black, one of white, one newsprint grey and three other eggshell/oatmeal type colours whose names escape me. The Ersta paper is German, I think, and is like sandpaper. Another of the yummy things about being pastellists is the variety of surface colours and textures we have to choose from ... aren't we lucky? :)

doe
05-20-2003, 08:55 AM
EJ - that sample pack sounds better all the time! I'll have to get it some day - after we move - if we ever move and I'm working really hard on that. Yes we are lucky to have so much to choose from and experiment with!:)

flower
05-20-2003, 09:05 AM
Hi everyone,

Doe, lovely apples
Craig, love the composition of your fruit

Thanks to everyone on the advice, much appreciated does artistic licence stretch to a lobsided horizont line..LOL,

Dark_Shades
05-20-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by doe
Dawn - great seascape - no land in sight! Well, except for some rocks, with no green moss on them! Nice job!

Since EJ is off doing figure work, we haven't had any apples here lately so here's some apples, on my traditional blue napkin, not EJ's slip. On white paper, because Dawn owns all the black paper, 9 x 12 about an hour.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2003/12181-apples.jpg

lol doe...... I always like seeing apples.... they make for such lovely paintings ....... love the colours of the background on this..... great choice against the reds

Dark_Shades
05-20-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Craig Houghton

not all of it! ;)

rembrandt and sennelier on 9x12 black mis-tientes - 1 hour and a half (all the little spots of fruit took much longer than I thought they would :P ) it's a bit of a rush-job.

-Craig

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2003/21273-fruitbowlJPG.jpg

I really like this Craig, and glad you are joining in ........ was this photo from the ref library..... think I had my eye on this one too ;) ..... great job on this....... lush colours...... you got alot done in the time..... well done...... as for the bits of black showing through you can always use one of those paint shapers to fill in the spaces

..... like this one alot.....

more please :)

Craig Houghton
05-20-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Doe, it's fun to see someone thinking of Cheshire in the context of CT and not the UK :)

Originally posted by Dark_Shades

I really like this Craig, and glad you are joining in ........ was this photo from the ref library..... think I had my eye on this one too ;) ..... great job on this....... lush colours...... you got alot done in the time..... well done...... as for the bits of black showing through you can always use one of those paint shapers to fill in the spaces

..... like this one alot.....

more please :)

Yep, that's from the ref library :) I figured there were lots of fruit to practice on in that bowl - though I turned the metallic bowl into an earthy one.. it seems to fit. I used a color shaper on the fruits here and there, but I kinda liked the texturing of the spots on the cloth. There probably would have been more texture, but I used the smooth side - something I don't normally do. I'm not sure how I feel about the smooth side though.. I kept losing my tooth - I longed for my colourfix! And, thank you for the comments!

-Craig

sundiver
05-20-2003, 07:27 PM
Lovely waterscapes, Dawn and flower! And the still lifes fron Craig and doe are also excellent- that fruit looks so crunchy and juicy.
We went over to Prince Edward Island to open up the cottage on the long weekend (thank you Queen Victoria, for having a birthday), and between dusting and dead-fly-patrol I dug out some photos I took last summer and fall, and went at them with my oil pastels. No igloos this time, I hope! :)
5x7 on yellow tag
I thought this would be an interesting challenge because, except for the bit of river behind it all, it's entirely yellow and green.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2003/6393-sunnygreenbyriver.jpg

Dark_Shades
05-20-2003, 07:36 PM
nice to see you posting Wendy....... and lovely to see the seasons change...... from you wonderful snow picw to the lush green grasses ....... Ha! had to laugh at your dead fly patrol :D

flower
05-20-2003, 07:36 PM
Hi Sundiver,

These are the kind of trees i dream about painting, would you mind telling me what colours you used, mine are always too dark, loveīthe sunlight coming through, it looks so relaxing.

sundiver
05-20-2003, 07:51 PM
Wow, two replies just while I was getting the second picture ready to upload! Thanks for your comments!
flower, these are Holbein o.p.s and don't have wrappers, so if I don't write down the name and number when I buy them I can't remember what they are called. I used 45E-3 and 45E-1, which are 2 values of olive, 45F oxide of olive...if you don't have Holbeins I doubt if this means much, maybe I could just scan the pastels themselves..........

Here's the second one, also o.p. 5x7, on gessoed watercolor paper. It was a warm hazy Indian-summer day in October, and I took a bunch of pictures; I liked the long shadows contrasting with the golden haze.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2003/6393-autumn_potato_field.jpg

Dark_Shades
05-21-2003, 04:13 AM
ohhhh thats nice with the Red Wendy ........ the blue of the water sort of looks 3D ...... love the purple shadows

doe
05-21-2003, 08:57 AM
Very nice sunny landscapes Wendy! With the ops do use use fewer sticks? Seems like a general set would be adequate, unlike the 5 shades per hue of soft pastels. Just wondering.

Having the den painted today, not doing it myself because now I just want to paint loosely. (laughing at myself) We found a house we like but haven't sold ours yet. My husband can't believe how fast I'm getting things done(???) but geesh he'd be waiting 'til August. Literally kicked him out of his office, hired a painter, bought the paint and cleaned the room yesterday. He's been telling me for months not to worry about his office, he'll handle it. Finally just had to ignore him! :) So - gotta go, painter arriving momentarily!

flower
05-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Hi everyone,

hereīs a quickie i did today, i was practicing my figure drawing in pastel, i find it much nicer than pencil, i know its not in proportion but i kind of liked it, itīs on 14 x 18 " paper.

Wendy love the second pic too, that red and purple looks nice

flower
05-21-2003, 01:01 PM
sorry hereīs the pic,

E-J
05-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Wendy There's a lovely warmth to that second landscape. The second one isn't too shabby either! :D I love seeing your little 5x7s crop up in this thread :clap:

Concentration is becoming a problem for me ... in the early part of the week I now seem to be stupidly busy, so when Wednesday comes around I just want to crash out with a glass of wine. Tomorrow I plan to devote the whole evening to a painting. In the meantime, tonight's is a littl'un. It took 1 hr from a photo and is on Starcke Ersta sandpaper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2003/13865-stanley1.jpg

mhimeswc
05-22-2003, 10:39 AM
Sundiver, I love your October landscape. It's so pretty. It reminds me of the blueberry fields in Maine.

Michelle

doe
05-23-2003, 08:21 AM
Patricia - nice figure practice!

EJ - landscape is well composed, especially like the rocks! Did you like that paper?

Hoping to paint tonight, been too busy with other crap!:)

E-J
05-23-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by doe
EJ - landscape is well composed, especially like the rocks! Did you like that paper?

Thanks doe. The paper was fun ... got a few other sanded papers to try, not sure if or how they'll differ from this one. It seemed to hold plenty of pastel.

Can relate to the problem of 'other crap' intruding on painting time :) Hope you manage to fit in a sketch tonight!

doe
05-23-2003, 09:45 PM
A short story for you, then I have to get to work! I had been going to a figure drawing thing at the community center, then did some portraits, then when nobody signed up for the next session, the facilitator said to come there Friday mornings and use the students as models. So, I've been doing that and then for the last couple of weeks I've been doing still lifes due to running out of people. Today a newspaper reporter/photographer came in and started getting closer and closer until he was up on the table next to me to get good shots of me painting from above, to the side, behind and just everywhere! It was disconcerting. Then he briefly interviewed me and told me he was putting a piece in the paper next week. Just hope it doesn't come out too horrible.:( All in all though, considering the fact that I also sold one of my portraits, this silly community center thing has turned out ok! But how weird of an experience is that!!!???

Roni Anderson
05-24-2003, 04:20 AM
Hey folks - just want to check in with y'all and let you know I am still alive. Been pretty busy closing out our house in Turkey and moving to Iraq. We are in northern Iraq now and have just found a house in the town of Dohuk. We will be working here for quite a while and I look forward to joining you on next week's pastel project.

I haven't had a chance to go through the weeks I've missed here in the forum and comment on everyone's work, but overall I must say you guys have put out some wonderful stuff. I see lots and lots of growth!

Just before we departed from Turkey for Iraq, an 'angel' from the US came to visit and brought in a box of Terry Ludwig's yummy pastel samples that I had ordered....I can't wait to get moved into the house here and get settled so I can try 'em out!! The colors are FANTASTIC!!!!

See y'all next week!

E-J
05-24-2003, 04:29 AM
Roni, welcome back :) We will expect to see some masterpieces now you've got your TL's :D

Dark_Shades
05-24-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by doe
A short story for you, then I have to get to work! I had been going to a figure drawing thing at the community center, then did some portraits, then when nobody signed up for the next session, the facilitator said to come there Friday mornings and use the students as models. So, I've been doing that and then for the last couple of weeks I've been doing still lifes due to running out of people. Today a newspaper reporter/photographer came in and started getting closer and closer until he was up on the table next to me to get good shots of me painting from above, to the side, behind and just everywhere! It was disconcerting. Then he briefly interviewed me and told me he was putting a piece in the paper next week. Just hope it doesn't come out too horrible.:( All in all though, considering the fact that I also sold one of my portraits, this silly community center thing has turned out ok! But how weird of an experience is that!!!???

well I hope you are going to show us the article when its printed....... fame at last lol! :)

angeline
05-24-2003, 06:05 AM
Wow some fab work going on here!
I have just not had time to do sketches at all!
My head has got lost somewhere..........now where did i put it?!........lol

doe
05-24-2003, 08:03 AM
Roni - you've been missed! So happy you're back now and looking forward to your sketches. Which set of TL's did you invest in?

Well, I did manage to sketch last night but the scanner is disconnected, so it'll have to wait until Sun..Everything should be put back together in this room by then.

That article should be out next week, will share if and when it comes out! The pictures were of my drawing and hand only though, but I felt like a super model with the camera constantly going off!

E-J
05-24-2003, 08:06 AM
doe ... from now on you'll have an extra selling point for your paintings. 'AS SEEN IN...' :D

louiethe_cat
05-24-2003, 09:09 AM
Hi Dawn,
I've been trying to get my email/computer going right, I'm going to work on something right now, hope I'm not too late. :(

Dark_Shades
05-24-2003, 09:42 AM
Hi Alan.......... never too late....... can always post into next weeks thread

.......... just done this for Flowers Pastel Riot....... 30 mins of scribble.... on Canson

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2003/12116-Scribble.jpg

Dark_Shades
05-24-2003, 01:40 PM
........ I had a sheet ....... of ........... BLACK!!!..... Art Spectrum :D

.... for Flowers Project... and Sundivers photo

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2003/12116-mfruit.jpg

...... still working on this

E-J
05-24-2003, 02:28 PM
Fruits on black paper ... classic Dawn stuff :D But it looks somehow more assured than the ones you used to do ... they were always good, but these look so solid! That green apple on the left is a real beauty. How long have you spent on them so far?

louiethe_cat
05-24-2003, 07:50 PM
Those are so nice Dawn, the sunset and the fruit, 30 minutes, and getting something looking like that, not exactly scribble, and the fruit is looking really good.
I was working on an Iris this morning, 2 hours! It was finally coming out so bad, I threw it. And started another, then had to leave, and now going to finish the new one. I hope this comes out good, if not Im posting it anyway, :D . Back in a while.

doe
05-25-2003, 09:37 AM
Dawn those are great sketches, your work is becoming more solid, yet loose and not overworked. I especially like the application style of the fruit on black paper.

When I reconnected the computer last night my scanner went nuts, making a really loud noise and flashing red lights! So I looked in the troubleshooting guide and it said "If there are flashing red lights there is a malfunction." Couldn't you just wring their necks! What help is that? So I'm not able to scan anything in right now.:mad: I'll have to figure this one out later. If anyone has a clue please tell me!

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 09:50 AM
thanks EJ, Alan, Doe...... perhaps lolol something is actually sinking in after all this time :)

oh eck, Doe,........ yup that is soooooooo annoying, yeah, as if you didnt know that right.. grrrrrrrrr
Ive just had to delete all my cookies and internet files so can view again in here..... that keeps happening :p

doe
05-25-2003, 10:05 AM
thanks EJ, Alan, Doe...... perhaps lolol something is actually sinking in after all this time :)

oh eck, Doe,........ yup that is soooooooo annoying, yeah, as if you didnt know that right.. grrrrrrrrr
Ive just had to delete all my cookies and internet files so can view again in here..... that keeps happening :p

Oh no - that's a good one too Dawn! I'll bet your problem has to do with how much memory is assigned to your internet activities. I saw that somewhere once on my computer and have had a similar problem in adobe photoshop, again related to the scanner that I resolved somehow. Computers have come a long way but can still be less than user friendly at times!

doe
05-25-2003, 11:14 AM
Well I can't believe it but the problem was caused by the template for slides being positioned incorrectly when I plugged the scanner in. I feel so stupid yet happy at the same time!

So, I worked on the cloth more in the apple sketch and it looks less stiff. Also here is what I worked on Fri night, it needs more work but this is an hour's worth of artichokes and a red onion:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2003/12181-apples.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2003/12181-artichokes.jpg

Whew just made it in for this week!

E-J
05-25-2003, 11:52 AM
I like the way you've rendered the artichokes, doe ... don't think we've had any of those in the thread before :) Can see the improvement in that fabric, too.

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 12:52 PM
well done Doe, all accounts lol ........ apples look wonderful ...... love them with that colour cloth

..... artichokes look great too ..... was thinking, I dont think Ive ever eaten one........ what are they like, what do they compare to (if anything)

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 12:58 PM
....... I was just trying out one of Smudge's photos ...... why is it, that as soon as its 'green' as in leaves, foliage...... by brain starts to freeeeeeze over, and I get incredibly bored!!!

I see all the wonderful landscapes people do, and want to do it myself........ I start and then go ..... zzzzzzzzzzzz !!!!

there has to be a reason behind this ....... as I was attempting this last........ I was thinking now is it, because its sort of abstract

..... would like to hear if anyone has thoughts on this........ its becoming a bit of a bug bear with me :p

guilliame
05-25-2003, 02:19 PM
Snhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2003/6932-going.gifeaking this one quickly 1 hour soft pastel:D

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by guilliame
Snhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2003/6932-going.gifeaking this one quickly 1 hour soft pastel:D

wot u say guilly lol ........ better read the pm again about uploading..... u've posted the image through your words

oramasha
05-25-2003, 03:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2003/16183-straw_hat.jpg

Guillame-- I love this one! A total goner in about 2 secs. You captured the spirit of the moment and movement.

There are so many wonderful sketches on here. Ya'll said this thread was okay for the humble newbie, so I"m sticking my straw hat sketch on here. It's okay to laugh! I'm taking a drawing class in about 2 weeks-- can't come soon enough!
Any suggestions on anything I do for improvements is always welcomed by the way.

-Dark Shades-- What if you pretended the trees were people, with a couple arms, who were having really bad Hair days.. and make them whatever color you feel like? Just a crazy idea. ;)

Have fun everyone-- lisa

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 03:19 PM
welcome Orama ...... yes thats right its open to all at all levels ......... and dont worry, nobody would dare laugh ...... Id smack 'em one ;) :D :evil: lolol
I bet you will enjoy those drawing classes immensely dont forget to come back and tell and show us what you have learned

the purple/lilac is really pretty against that wonderful blue ..... is this from real life?

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 03:22 PM
Guilly ........ watersport painting, seems to be your forte .... really have got the movement and power in this one

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by oramasha

-Dark Shades-- What if you pretended the trees were people, with a couple arms, who were having really bad Hair days.. and make them whatever color you feel like? Just a crazy idea. ;)

Have fun everyone-- lisa

hmmmmm thanks for the thought Orama ...... I think I could do a tree, its them dang bushes lolol ..... unless I think of them as being a crowd hee hee

oramasha
05-25-2003, 03:27 PM
hat's from life, i made up the background color

guilliame
05-25-2003, 05:35 PM

wot u say guilly lol ........ better read the pm again about uploading..... u've posted the image through your words I'm getting there,sides it's cool to be different,i walk backwards sometimes too:D

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 06:08 PM
Lolol Guilly ........ n just 2b awkward I bet :D

doe
05-25-2003, 06:26 PM
Guilly - what a great sketch, love everything about it, the colors, the lines and the action!

Lisa - good job on your straw hat, working from life is the best thing for you, keep it up!

Dawn - hmmm, what is an artichoke like? Um sorry to say its unique, with sort of a slight pickled taste, or maybe sort of like brussle sprouts. They're also green, so maybe if you try one you'll be more comfortable with greens. I've heard that alot of people have issues with landscapes and greens, so you're not alone.