PDA

View Full Version : I went a-sketchin

Axl
05-18-2003, 01:53 PM
ha ha this post was ment for yesterday, but WC went down in the middle of posting so just copy and pasted from yesterday...

I usually dont post much in this forum - i'm more of a browser and just peak in once every day or so :D I use to work in ink all the time, but now i hardly do it at all. Anyways, today we had a LOVELY day here. The warmest it's been here sinse winter - it hit 20 degrees! wow!! It was beautiful and sunny out - not a cloud in the sky! And the blackflies and tourists were at a minimum lol the PERFECT day to get out and sketch :D

So i decided to walk in town, down by the waterfront, and parked my butt on one of the warfs. I started to draw in pencil, but today wasnt a pencil day for me - i couldnt get anything to work right! So I got out a pen, after 2 quick pencil sketches, and got to work :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2003/7231-boatsketch.jpg
this would be my fav of them all i think lol. its the... rigging on a scallop dragger.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2003/7231-boatsketch2.jpg
this one is of one of the masts of the Bluenose, from the same warf which was next to the scooner. those masts are TALL!!!! This ship boats of the tallest masts in the world, and you really get an appreciation for them when you're trying to fit them on an 8x11 sletchbook sheet LOL I think i'm still missing about 10 feet of mast!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2003/7231-boatsketch3.jpg
This would be part of the bow of the bluenose. There is some nice detailing around the.... "anchor hole" (lol for living around the water my entire life and for having family that have built, sailed, and owned boats i curtainly know DICK ALL about em! lol)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2003/7231-boat4.jpg
Another one, from the same warf, of the bow of the bluenose, and all the fancy rigging they had on it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2003/7231-scribblepage.jpg
My page of sketches I did over my ice frappe sitting on the deck of the coffee shop overlooking the harbour. The girl working there was amused at me calling all my sketches "scribblies" lol *shrugs*

So as you can see, a fabulous and most (un)productive day! Infact, we are having another warm sunny day here today, i don't even know why i'm sitting here writting this now!!!

Happy sketching!

MonicaB
05-18-2003, 03:48 PM
Wow, I'd say this was a very productive day for you. Awesome "scribbles". :D

Where are you that it's actually warm? I'm in Atlanta, and I'm actually cold today! Of course, everything's relative. . . .

Axl
05-18-2003, 06:14 PM
Ahh i'm in nova scotia canada. And beleive me, it wasnt warm 3 days ago LOL. We have gone from really chilly get your scarf & mittens to outside in your shorts and bare feet in a matter of days, its been insane!

MonicaB
05-18-2003, 06:24 PM
Oh but it's so beautiful in nova scotia. I honeymooned there, believe it or not. :D In July, we were wearing jackets.

Axl
05-18-2003, 06:37 PM
lol really?? Thats funny and i cant wait to get outta here :D LOL I'm stationed in Lunenburg, maybe you came down this way to visit? It's a big tourist trap - i mean area lol

kare
05-18-2003, 06:44 PM
FANTASTIC SKETCHES!! you're amazing!! i'm still 'trying' to sketch lol... but your sketches- they're really great! and as for being scribbles.. she obviously doesn't have a clue! lol

ciarrai

artdude
05-18-2003, 08:24 PM
GREAT sketches Axl!!! Sketching is probably the most productive thing you can do to further your drawing skills. Not that you need any more practice, because your drawings are always AMAZING!! :D Some really good ship studies you have :) Thanks for giving us a peek at your "scribblies"!! :D:) Would LOVE to see MORE INK art works from you!! ;)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Axl
05-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by artdude
GREAT sketches Axl!!! Sketching is probably the most productive thing you can do to further your drawing skills.

lol YEAH but try telling that to someone who doesnt draw, like my mom! LOL

thanx y'all :D

kare
05-18-2003, 08:59 PM
what kind of pen did you use axl? a fountain pen with nib? or standard writing pen?

Axl
05-18-2003, 09:08 PM
They were just black, waterproof Pilot drawing pens, .05 and .08 nibs for the most part. I'm considering going off and experimenting with washes as of late! I miss working in ink it is a lot of fun. I like the challenge of fixing mistakes LOL :evil:

What have you been doing your feeties with??

BTDogMom
05-18-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Axl_Happy_Goth
Ahh i'm in nova scotia canada. And beleive me, it wasnt warm 3 days ago LOL. We have gone from really chilly get your scarf & mittens to outside in your shorts and bare feet in a matter of days, its been insane!
Hey sounds like a typical 10 minutes here in Colorado - in fact 1 of folks' favorite sayings here is "If u don't like the weather , just wait 5 minutes." It's soooo true! Axl - these r some of the most gorgeous "scribbles" I've ever seen!:clap: :clap:

kare
05-18-2003, 09:18 PM
Axl,
i did the 'feeties' as you call it (lol) with a normal black writing pen.. though over the last few weeks i've been using fountain pens with nibs (where you dip the pen tip in ink every few seconds).. lots of fun! oh.. messy fun, i should say LOL

Axl
05-18-2003, 09:25 PM
Ahhh that's what I need a dip pen! lol. I have bottles of india ink here, I didn have any nibs or a dip pen so I went and cut me some bamboo of different sizes. It almost does the job, 'cept the dogs like to snatch them away from me and use them as chew toys lol

kare
05-18-2003, 09:31 PM
LOL you have a dog that chews your bamboo sticks and i have a cat that bits the end of my fountain/dip pens when i use them!
but you have to love them!! :cat:

seejay
05-18-2003, 10:55 PM
Fantastic sketches!!! Glad the pens worked for you. Thanks for posting these.

Cheers

Petdevils
05-18-2003, 11:49 PM
Hi axl,

Im always overjoyed to see ur new works, i really should start going to the fantasy forum cause im missing most ur new stuff there.... i really do hope this days work will encourage you to become more regular at p&i cause they have such class and technical prowess its a shame not to make more. I particularly like the hatchin on the glass... how do u know so much about boats?

Thanks for the eye candy ;)

jjsangel
05-18-2003, 11:50 PM
Great sketches Axl. Even your sketches are great. Love how you threw the dragon in on your sketch page. It's kind of like your trademark.hehehe.. Love the boat details especially the bow one and the very tall masts.

MonicaB
05-19-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Axl_Happy_Goth
lol really?? Thats funny and i cant wait to get outta here :D LOL I'm stationed in Lunenburg, maybe you came down this way to visit? It's a big tourist trap - i mean area lol

LOL. I know what you mean -- I couldn't wait to leave the place I grew up in. Don't miss it a bit, either! We went to Cape Breton, mostly. Is that close to you?

drwells
05-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Oh Axl! I want to be able to "sqribble" like you. :) Funny, at the place where I sketch on the lunch bags, just Friday the girl asked me what I was doing...Said, just sqribbling.. :D

Danny

Oldthumbs
05-19-2003, 12:47 PM
I hope that those sketches took you all day, because if you say you only did them in a couple of hours, I think I'm gonna . . well, something. Really great sketches - thanks for posting.

els
05-19-2003, 01:52 PM
Fantastic sketched Axl... Love all of them...

TigerEye
05-19-2003, 02:24 PM
Wonderful sketchs axl!! :-], I love the sailing ships alot, and I really like that little dragon head, sooooo cute!! keep up the good work

Axl
05-19-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by MonicaB

LOL. I know what you mean -- I couldn't wait to leave the place I grew up in. Don't miss it a bit, either! We went to Cape Breton, mostly. Is that close to you?

Ahhh noo I'm on the Mainland :D But Cape Breton is BEAUTIFUL so i'm told! I'm going up towards that way this weekend!!

A new ship came in today! This really old one, shot off canons full of gunpowder to announce its arrival, made the dogs bark and WOKE ME UP! LOL Either way, it's docked down by the waterfront, and so tommorow I might skip on down to check it out if I can get in close enough. I will be sure to take the pen!

mel-ink
05-19-2003, 10:07 PM
Beautiful work, Axl! I hope you do more pen & ink work (and if so, be sure to post it for us to drool over!)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jakeally
05-20-2003, 10:21 AM
Marvelous sketches Axl... I especially like the ships mast...wow what a size.
We visited Lunenburg the last time we were in Nova Scotia...... yes it is a tourist trap....but a very nice one:D

Dave.t
05-20-2003, 05:50 PM
Delightful work axl...bet you have a load of interesting sketch books...puts me to shame...must must must do more sketching:)