PDA

View Full Version : Some OP sketches

Dima
05-18-2003, 07:17 AM
This week I bought a pad of Schoellershammer no.2.
Is a pad of 50 umberbrown recycled papersheets with protective glassine sheets between them.
Was not too sure if I would like it, the paper looks very cheap (and it is) and I didn't feel too much tooth.
But now that I have tried it, I am rather enthousiastic about it.
I like the colour, it has a good tooth for OP and I like the protective sheets; a pity they only have this paper in studyquality!
There are also bigger ones but the size of this pad was 24x32cm.
A great sketchpad for OP-ers!

No.1 just a fantasy:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2003/2034-Opschets1.jpg

Dick

Dima
05-18-2003, 07:19 AM
No.2 a nude from the big book of painting the nude:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2003/2034-Opschets2.jpg

Dick

Dima
05-18-2003, 07:21 AM
No.3 a nude from the latest issue of international artist:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2003/2034-Opschets3.jpg

Dick

Dima
05-18-2003, 07:26 AM
No.4 from the cover of a book about dutch painter Cornelis Vreedenburgh:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2003/2034-Opschets4.jpg

Hope you liked them.
And what to look for if you are in want of a cheap pastel sketchpad.

Dick

doe
05-18-2003, 07:36 AM
The textures are really nice, looks like the paper works well - is it for soft pastels as well?

Dima
05-18-2003, 07:43 AM
Doe, I think it was actually meant for soft pastels and I just happened to find that it also works fine for OP.

Dick

E-J
05-18-2003, 07:55 AM
Dick, I'm enjoying the lovely looseness of your op sketches. Recognise that third one :D You say the landscape came out of your head? Excellent. It's my favourite of these four :clap:

Sueb
05-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Hi Dick, Love what you are doing with the OP's, especially the landscape. I also love the scumbly effects you are getting. Your new sketchbook sounds really cool. Keep an eye on your paintings though. I just removed all of the pages I had used my oil pastels on and have stored them in acid free clear envelopes. I love the conveinence of the sketchbooks but my completed work was getting banged around a bit when I folded the pages back and bore down again for a new painting. But then I am hard on stuff. And I am very heavy handed with the pastels.

You asked in another thread about my OP classes. I am currently taking a break and devoting my time to my oil painting class. Last session I had to much going with 3 classes at once, so now I am only doing one at a time. It will be late summer befire I will have time for more op sessions. I do hope to have some time to do some more plein air oil pastels though..... if the sun will ever shine here on the east coast! I think the medium is a great one for outdoors as long as your can keep the pastels cool.

Meanwhile keep posting. I'm following your progress with envy and wishing there were more hours to the day.

Sue

Mo.
05-18-2003, 07:06 PM
Dick you are really flying with your OP's, these are super sketches,
I like them all, especially the last one...

This week I bought a pad of Schoellershammer no.2.
Is a pad of 50 umberbrown recycled papersheets with protective glassine sheets between them.
Was not too sure if I would like it, the paper looks very cheap (and it is) and I didn't feel too much tooth.

Dick I think I have some of this paper...does it look a bit like brown wrapping paper? As I boughta couple of full size sheets a while ago was only about 60p a sheet from Heaton Coooper, but as yet have not used it. Must give it a try.

Cheers,
Mo.

flower
05-18-2003, 07:27 PM
Hi Dick,

I went to a week-end course for figure painting last October, our teacher sold great big pieces of brown paper, they use it for wrapping parcels, and we did acryl, pastel etc on this paper, this could be what you have, a great idea im going to try with the OP, i bought extra sheets to take home and they are just lying around so ill give it a try, love the Pictures you have done.

bnoonan
05-18-2003, 08:22 PM
Dick - I love #1 - and think you did a wonderful job on just creating this scene, colors and mood. It's very atmospheric and beautiful.

Barb

Dyin
05-18-2003, 09:51 PM
Hey....I like the landscape best too...nice mood. You have such a nice looseness in your work, like # 4 too...seems like you feel the landscapes more...keep em coming!

Smudger
05-19-2003, 03:35 AM
great work:clap: :clap: I love your style

Dima
05-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Thank you all for looking and commenting.

Sue, can imagine three classes at the same time are a bit too much.
Still hope to see some more of your bright and colourful OP's.

Mo, it does look a bit like the wrapping paper but is some thicker than that.

Patricia, little over a year ago I posted my first pastel in this forum that was done on the brown wrapping paper and was immediately advised by Sandra Fletcher to use a better paper which I have done since.
This paper may look a bit like wrapping paper but it is not the same; don't know how much better it is in terms of durability or lightfastness as it says study qaulity.

Dick

meowmeow
05-21-2003, 08:02 PM
These are very nice! I especially like the landscape!

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
07-08-2003, 07:08 AM
Love #1 - it has great atmosphere in the sky and it looks like late afternoon sun, or early evening hours. It just lets the imagination run - good one!