PDA

View Full Version : Very First Pen & Ink Drawing: Dodgy sketch of a hand

Petdevils
05-18-2003, 06:40 AM
Hi all,

I'm very new to this forum, bought myself a bamboo brush and some ink... learning that but its hard and will take more practice before i have anything worth posting(not to say this one is either lol). But i had a 0.8 black ink pen lying round from the newsagent and thought it might be easier.... This is my first real drawing with pen & ink.. never done before till today, cept for some tiny doodles u can see that scanned thru from the verso.... lesson learnt :)

I can't help but feel a smaller nib(correct term?) would be better..eg finer lines less hardcore black.. can y'all recommend something thats not gonna hurt my wallet badly?

Anyhoo, i entered this atrocity in the body parts project nonetheless.. All comments and criticism welcome as im very new and keen to learn ink techniques.... inspired to try this from Ciarrai's recent adventures with P&I ;) Bye

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2003/16708-penhand.jpg

DragonladyfromOz
05-18-2003, 07:01 AM
Hi ya Petdevils... glad you came over to play!!!:D
Nothing wrong with your first effort here, at least it LOOKS like what you intended it to be - I can't say the same for my first tries :D You have the basic form and depth, just have to use a few variations in application to provide the feature differentiation you want.
There is a great article in here about the basic strokes and moves with pen if you wish to read it by Kimberlee McPeek
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/20593/308/
Hope to catch up with you some more some time.
Ohh, and keep posting pics!
Cheers
Manda

Petdevils
05-18-2003, 07:15 AM
Howdy,

Thanks for the post mate... I had read that article last saturday..however that was with pen and brush in mind... so i think i should re read it with P&I in mind this time...will prolly grasp the techniques easier with pen... catchya later :)

Originally posted by DragonladyfromOz
Hi ya Petdevils... glad you came over to play!!!:D
Nothing wrong with your first effort here, at least it LOOKS like what you intended it to be - I can't say the same for my first tries :D You have the basic form and depth, just have to use a few variations in application to provide the feature differentiation you want.
There is a great article in here about the basic strokes and moves with pen if you wish to read it by Kimberlee McPeek
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/20593/308/
Hope to catch up with you some more some time.
Ohh, and keep posting pics!
Cheers
Manda

Jakeally
05-18-2003, 07:47 AM
Hiya Petdevils..... nice to see you over here.
You made a really impressive start with your hand....well done.:clap:
I think most of us started with quite a large nib...I know I did...... but as you do more you somehow go smaller and smaller:D
You should be able to get a pack of Artists pens from the Art Shop....they usually come in 0.1, 0.3, 0.5 and a brush pen. These sets are not too expensive and you can try the different sizes and see which you feel comfortable

MonicaB
05-18-2003, 08:50 AM
Hey Petdevils,

I think this is fantastic for your first P&I. It actually looks like a hand! (warts and all, he he :D )

Another cheap alternative to the technical pens used in Kimberlee's article is a set of dip pen kind of nibs, and a bottle o' ink. You should be able to get all of that for under $10. Here's a link to show you what I mean:

http://www.speedballart.com/productsdlc.html
(Be sure to look at their drawing tips PDF too)

A lot of people here use the Micron pens, too:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz207/02/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=1388

Here's the Speedballs on DickBlick.com:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz209/13/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=1448

Lotsa fun ahead! :D

Petdevils
05-18-2003, 10:06 AM
Hi, thanks for your post..... i didnt' realise they went that small..that really is tiny!... and brush pen sounds very mysterious... i will look into get a pen set as mentioned soon..thanks for the headsup :)

Originally posted by Jakeally
Hiya Petdevils..... nice to see you over here.
You made a really impressive start with your hand....well done.:clap:
I think most of us started with quite a large nib...I know I did...... but as you do more you somehow go smaller and smaller:D
You should be able to get a pack of Artists pens from the Art Shop....they usually come in 0.1, 0.3, 0.5 and a brush pen. These sets are not too expensive and you can try the different sizes and see which you feel comfortable

Petdevils
05-18-2003, 10:08 AM
Wow! Thanks MonicaB... i had a look around dickblick before but got frustrated as there are sooo many different things and i didnt' know what i needed etc.... i'll go through these and save em, a wealth of knowledge.. i really appreciate your help :)

Originally posted by MonicaB
Hey Petdevils,

I think this is fantastic for your first P&I. It actually looks like a hand! (warts and all, he he :D )

Another cheap alternative to the technical pens used in Kimberlee's article is a set of dip pen kind of nibs, and a bottle o' ink. You should be able to get all of that for under $10. Here's a link to show you what I mean:

http://www.speedballart.com/productsdlc.html
(Be sure to look at their drawing tips PDF too)

A lot of people here use the Micron pens, too:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz207/02/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=1388

Here's the Speedballs on DickBlick.com:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz209/13/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=1448

Lotsa fun ahead! :D

BTDogMom
05-18-2003, 10:41 AM
Hey PD - honestly I think your hand is very nice - loose and creative and even better RECOGNIZEABLE - the proportions all look very good - Well done 1st attempt :D:clap: :clap:

artdude
05-18-2003, 11:04 AM
Pretty darn good for your first attempt :D You have some good advice already on getting started with various ink pens. The more you do the easier it will get for you. KEEP GOING!!! :)

You can also check out my ink article. I have a line drawing that you can print out and practice your strokes and shading on. I'll leave the link for it below :D

"Pen & Ink - Shading/Techniques/Lesson" (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/3698/194/)

BTDogMom
05-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Murray - AWESOME TUTORIAL!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Am printing it out now :D

Petdevils
05-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Thank you BT, im a big fan of your work.... 'not worthy, not worthy'....... it's a process and im happy to take the time to find my groove:)

Originally posted by BTDogMom
Hey PD - honestly I think your hand is very nice - loose and creative and even better RECOGNIZEABLE - the proportions all look very good - Well done 1st attempt :D:clap: :clap:

Petdevils
05-18-2003, 12:12 PM
G'day Murray,

Thanks again for the encouraging words, I've already read your tutorial twice..but i wasn't actually learning p&i then, so it is definately time for a review and practice of your excercises.... i am soo grateful to all the wonderful people like yourself who take the time to write tutorials for folk like me just hoping to start out... its tough but with friendly help from people like you it is much much easier.. so thank you ;)

Originally posted by artdude
Pretty darn good for your first attempt :D You have some good advice already on getting started with various ink pens. The more you do the easier it will get for you. KEEP GOING!!! :)

You can also check out my ink article. I have a line drawing that you can print out and practice your strokes and shading on. I'll leave the link for it below :D

"Pen & Ink - Shading/Techniques/Lesson" (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/3698/194/)

drwells
05-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Welcome Petdevils. We always love to see new folks coming over and sharing with us here in P&I. :)

I like it just like it is right now the heavy lines kinda give the hand some age. It is a fun style of sketching, yes keep practicing but don't forget how to do a nice loose drawing..(funny sounding coming from me. :D )

Danny

Petdevils
05-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Heidi Ho Danny,

Thanks for your post mate, your advice for staying loose is surprisingly apt as thats what my art lecturer keeps tellin me... im usually a person really anal about detail and methodology etc... so i am trying to loosen up ;) I love your work btw, the trees are awesome.. have been singled out as pieces for me to learn from...... are they just from imagination or do you have trees like that near you? Also big fan of the lunchbag series ;):) later dude!

Originally posted by drwells
Welcome Petdevils. We always love to see new folks coming over and sharing with us here in P&I. :)

I like it just like it is right now the heavy lines kinda give the hand some age. It is a fun style of sketching, yes keep practicing but don't forget how to do a nice loose drawing..(funny sounding coming from me. :D )

Danny

artdude
05-18-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by BTDogMom
Murray - AWESOME TUTORIAL!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Am printing it out now :D

:D THANKS Jamie :D Be sure to post a pic of your Deadwood drawing when you're done :) There is a project I started for it too. So maybe you and Petdevils can join the project and both post your Deadwood drawings there for all fo us to see :D:)

Here is a link to the project :)

Deadwood Drawing Project from Ink Article (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=227)

BTDogMom
05-18-2003, 09:56 PM
Ok sure - just after I finish the 3 other projects I've signed up 4 - UUUGHGHGHGHG!!

Petdevils
05-18-2003, 10:24 PM
hmm not quite sure im up to the task just yet, might see how i go at the end of the week ;) Thanks didnt' know the project existed ;)

kare
05-18-2003, 10:58 PM
PD;
heya! :D

Ekersleys (artstore) in the city and at milton have dip pens (what i use) for $2-$3 a pen!!!! pen nibs are about the same price but WELL WORTH IT!!

i tend to go to the one in milton as it is in walking distance to the office during lunch hours. check it out.. i think you would enjoy using one!!

btw- awesome job on the hand!!!

Petdevils
05-18-2003, 11:25 PM
hi ciarrai,

Im guessing your geeking out on your lunch break lol. These dip pens and nibs sound quite interesting and mysterious... how exactly do u use the dip pen.. does it hold a certain amount of ink or does it only hold the amount that sticks to it?

kare
05-18-2003, 11:36 PM
dip pens;

you place a nib (shaped like a spade in most cases with a small, sometimes long & narrow space in the centre) into the end of the dip pen. you dip into the ink (no specific way) and draw to your hearts content, remembering that you have to re-dip when there is no ink left on the nib...

what i did, after i bought my first nib and pen, i sat down and my mam taught me how to write like she did at school.. after i saw the way you use it.. i began to draw with it..

and hey.. i'm not geeking out LOL i was doing up my website!!

Petdevils
05-18-2003, 11:59 PM
yeah i think i get it.. i'll have to buy one soon and see... oh and if your doing your website.. you're geeking out lol... its not derogatory, just a saying lotta mates of mine use lol ;)

Originally posted by ciarrai
dip pens;

you place a nib (shaped like a spade in most cases with a small, sometimes long & narrow space in the centre) into the end of the dip pen. you dip into the ink (no specific way) and draw to your hearts content, remembering that you have to re-dip when there is no ink left on the nib...

what i did, after i bought my first nib and pen, i sat down and my mam taught me how to write like she did at school.. after i saw the way you use it.. i began to draw with it..

and hey.. i'm not geeking out LOL i was doing up my website!!

drwells
05-19-2003, 02:03 AM
are they just from imagination or do you have trees like that near you?

Outta my sick little mind I'm afraid. Most of the trees around here are of the desert type.. Mesquite, palo verde, olive, eucaliptus(wonder how those showed up) etc. Every once in a while I come about a big pine. I get the twists and the curves from the palo verde I think. OH OH! I think my biggest influence around here is a type of ash called arizona ash. LOVE EM!! :D

Danny

Petdevils
05-19-2003, 02:30 AM
Wow someone actually mentioned ash tree's i always read about them in the writings of Joyce, be it ulysses's ashplant staff or in various other elder scrolls :) You could turn some of them into a nice childrens book.. you should write and illustrate one!

kare
05-19-2003, 02:33 AM
thats a great idea! would you ever do that Danny?
you draw wonderful trees!!

drwells
05-19-2003, 05:31 PM
OH You guys!! You are so so sweet.. I'm not ready to do something like that to tell you the truth the only way I think I'll be able to do something like that is if I'm told to do it. LOL You guys do sure know how to make a person feel good though

d

MonicaB
05-19-2003, 05:41 PM
Ok. Do it. You have been officially told. :D :D :D

kare
05-19-2003, 06:35 PM
come on danny... the trees you've done- they hold alot of character.. age and they would make a wonderful story!

tell you what.. i have only seen a few of your drawings.. would you start a new thread and post all your sketches and drawings of trees to date? i'd love to see how much more you have completed!!

ciarrai

Oldthumbs
05-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Yo, Pet,

You're branchin' out all over, ain't ya? That's a pretty darn good first P&I! Matter of fact, better than most of your pencil :evil: (just kiddin'. just kiddin').

Keep it up. You certainly are giving prolificacy your best shot. You get better with each one.

Danny, I told you I saw Dr. Suess in your trees. :)

Ray

mel-ink
05-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Hiya, Petdevils! Thank you for posting your work...I think it's a great first attempt and a successful one at that! Hands are not an easy thing to draw! Be sure to share some of your adventures with a dip pen when you figure out whatcha want!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

drwells
05-19-2003, 11:55 PM
Ok. Do it. You have been officially told.

Monica I've got one thing to say to you......... :p

Ciarrai

would you start a new thread and post all your sketches and drawings of trees to date? i'd love to see how much more you have completed!!

Um.... I'm working on my website...More motivation to put something on it... Remind me I'll get back to you on that one.

d

kare
05-20-2003, 02:36 AM
np danny..
good luck on the website and show us all the address soon as you're done.

Petdevils
05-20-2003, 10:34 PM
Yeah dude you've been 'told'... im holding you under a 'citizens request' to make a childrens book.. u got kids ain't u? I remember making one in primary school and we showed it to the grade 2 kids.. i was surprised how much they really enjoyed it... so even if u thought the end result was crap (which im sure it won't be).. they'll still make you there honorary uncle :) But na if you don't wanna then were just kidding, but if you think you could make some vaguely interesting plot better than the average banality they read, then go for it man ;)

Originally posted by drwells
OH You guys!! You are so so sweet.. I'm not ready to do something like that to tell you the truth the only way I think I'll be able to do something like that is if I'm told to do it. LOL You guys do sure know how to make a person feel good though

d

Petdevils
05-20-2003, 10:43 PM
Hi mel,

thanks for your post, y'all are soo kind. Prolly won't get dip pens etc for a few weeks..but i do plan on doing it.... im using all my savings and having to sell some stuff to order a book for US$107 so i will literally be completely broke... but i hope to sell some more stuff on ebay(rare cds etc) and ill spend tha tmoney on art supplies ;) Actually i want to get a 'double reed pen' i think its called.. you konw what i mean like have two pens draw in unison.. that looks killer!

bye mate ;)

Originally posted by mel-ink
Hiya, Petdevils! Thank you for posting your work...I think it's a great first attempt and a successful one at that! Hands are not an easy thing to draw! Be sure to share some of your adventures with a dip pen when you figure out whatcha want!

:clap: :clap: :clap: