PDA

View Full Version : still catching up

BeyondTheNineSquares
05-17-2003, 06:50 PM
You know, doing this program has, for me, been a somewhat frustrating thing. I'm used to being the front runner in things. You know, accelerated courses in college, earning an A, always arriving not ontime but early for meetings, and low and behold with this program I'm just starting chapter 5 while the rest of you are about to sail into 7! Yikes! I haven't had time to do as many of the exercises as I would like to, but have certainly benefited from those I have, and plan to return and do some of what I skipped.

That being said, I've notices a few things. First of all, the world doesn't stop just because I'm a few steps behind the pack. I'm also a good number of paces ahead of where I'd be if I hadn't started or if I had given up.

Another thing I am finding is that perhaps the creativity that's increasing in me and all the things I'm learning about myself in this program are combining to make me get through a very busy and trying time in my life (personally, professionally, artistically) with much less stress and anxiety than I know I normally would be experiencing.

Oh, on the subject of discoveries and awakenings, I was interested to see a thread or two in the Cafe about WetCanvas badges. I think it's a great way to spread the word about this great site and to get some dialog going on art!

Check it out at:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107667&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Rose Queen
05-18-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by BeyondTheNineSquares

...I've noticed a few things. First of all, the world doesn't stop just because I'm a few steps behind the pack. I'm also a good number of paces ahead of where I'd be if I hadn't started or if I had given up.

Another thing I am finding is that perhaps the creativity that's increasing in me and all the things I'm learning about myself in this program are combining to make me get through a very busy and trying time in my life (personally, professionally, artistically) with much less stress and anxiety than I know I normally would be experiencing.

I think you have exactly the right attitude toward TAW and that you're finding, as most of us do, that it has a way of "slopping over" into the rest of our lives, which is all to the good. See you in chat tonight?

DanaT
05-18-2003, 08:16 PM
Sounds like a need to complete things, BTNS. I recognize that trait well having it myself. Did you do the Myers-Briggs test by any chance? Did you come out with a J at the end? I did. We have a need to complete things and mark them off our to do list, incompletions drive us nuts but I think life is never done until we're done and then it doesn't matter anymore. ;)

Another book "Living the Life of Your Dreams" talks about incompletions and how to handle it when you can't complete everything. Lots of chapters here I haven't done as well as I wanted but when Sunday rolled around, I was like, OK, now's the next chapter. They build on each other so what you slack off in one chapter you can make up in another.

BeyondTheNineSquares
05-18-2003, 08:57 PM
I did a modified version of Myers Briggs as part of a leadership/management seminar and coursework I was taking a while back. The prof streamlined things a bit, but basically I think we're on the same wave length. It did seem to confirm that I was heading in the right direction at the time, but yes the things you say hit me where I am. I don't even know for sure where I'm supposed to be. I assume you all are "done" with 6 and heading off to 7, and I don't see me "catching up" any time soon. I think I will try and speedread my way through the rest of 5 and all of 6 tomorrow night, forget the exercises for now and hit 7 on the only other free night I have until next weekend- which is Thursday. Of course, since I care for my elderly parents, odds are they will have errands and need that I'll have to cram into the only free time I have this week, being Monday night after work and Thursday night after work.

Sigh.