PDA

View Full Version : Girl with Umbrella

Paintonbrush
05-17-2003, 05:39 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-17-2003/4969_girlumbrella1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Girl with Umbrella
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 10x10
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
Hello

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
comments welcome

coulter
05-17-2003, 05:45 PM
oooohh a lightning bolt out of the blue!

Very distinctive, very beautiful!

Mark

oramasha
05-17-2003, 06:00 PM
absolutely gorgeous :)

jerryW
05-17-2003, 06:06 PM
your hits are getting more numerous than your misses.
way to go!

artbabe21
05-17-2003, 06:07 PM
be-utiful...we have a chorus going here! I like the impressionist look/feel to it...:)

somerset
05-17-2003, 06:35 PM
this seems a step in a different direction. but you found your way!

bocote
05-18-2003, 01:49 AM
more! In the past I have seen your flowers and still life works which were very nice, but I have to say that I like this one the best. You've got a couple things working real well here - form structures, color debth, transitions are consistant and very asthetically pleasing, a premium last name, and compositionally the colors add up well... blue, yellow, violet, green, orange, yellow..... then pink, orange, white, green. The underpainting under the white dress is premium.

the only thing that I feel may subtract from this glory of the sun work is the visible brush strokes above your signature and there is a wide white area just under the lip of the water that seems to be on the left side of the figure, but not on the right. I looked at it again and think that I am mistaken and although it isnt on the right the use of the line on the left gives a bit of possitive space for the figure to work in. I'm curious how you feel about it.

have fun,

bocote

Paintonbrush
05-18-2003, 02:01 AM
a premium last name
Bocote---yes it is a grand name.....its nice to share a name!

you know, this was only my first sweep at this painting. I had planned several more steps, but , sometimes you just have to stop and take it in, then share with yous guys....then I know where to go from there!
You are right, it is distracting....and I have brushed it out since.. Thank you for commenting...it takes one s time to really look and comment and you are so good about that...I truley appreciate your grace with compliments and structured crit...Keep them coming please :D
somerset-I am teaching myself not to be so wild with color and to have some sort of order with color...thanks for your words.
cathleen! glad to see you get some time to yourself.....this reminded me of you with the pink umbrella.
Jerry! really-?-cool.....like a blind fold on at times.
Ormasha-thank you
Mark-You ARE my biggest fan ;-)

Wayne Gaudon
05-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Wow .. this is really coming togeather .. as you said a lot of your work is razzle dazzle .. very nice but glowing all over .. this one is pointed, calm, and explosive where one expects an explosion .. very well done .. keep the inspiration coming.

mpopinz
05-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Simply Stunning. Beautiful Colors!

pero lane
05-18-2003, 01:41 PM
Peaceful...a real beauty!:clap: :clap: :clap:

woodguy
05-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Diane...Different from your usual, I agrre. And wonderful, I agree!!!Jim

HRobinson
05-18-2003, 06:47 PM
... as strokes become bolder they become part of the subject matter. As such there's not much to do about it in the critiquing of that particular subject, except to look for "strays." There are also some "clunkers" around the umberella. It's also not unique stylistically. Your theme is grand. It's very impressionable and hangable in that respect alone. You've also captured the essential elements and your coloration is refreshingly profound.
-Harry