PDA

View Full Version : PASTEL RIOT - Week 5/18 - 5/24

Craig Houghton
05-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Last week is going to be a tough riot to follow, but we can do it. I had a tough time narrowing down the 3 subjects, but hopefully these should provide adequate fuel. Give them a try, and feel free to reinvent the selections -- crop, chop, or alter till you have something you can call your own.

And remember, "this is about seeing the different interpretations of styles, choices of colours, technique, paper etc. The main thing is to enjoy what you do ...... open to anyone and everyone who wants to participate, only stipulation is that it is in 'pastels'..."

I found the shadows, the blue sky, and the negative values of the trees too good to pass up: so cal oaks -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/data/500/20414109_0926-med.jpg

I love these cone flowers (echinacea). Check out the spirals in the center:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/data/38/17153rbechinacea-med.jpg

and finally, here's a twist on a the traditional:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/data/512/21273dsc01648-med.jpg

Enjoy and experiment!

flower
05-17-2003, 04:19 PM
Hey Craig,

What a good choice, like them all especially the half eaten strawberry, i want to practice some techniques in pastels so the flowers would be a good choice for me too, look forward to trying them out

Dark_Shades
05-17-2003, 04:56 PM
...... the first one to post their painting, opens the following weeks thread

..... choosing 3 pics either their own or from the WC's extensive reference Library

Kathryn Wilson
05-17-2003, 04:57 PM
Way to go Craig - a good variety! Think I'll give the flowers a try - have not done flowers before so it should be interesting!

flower
05-17-2003, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone

I tried this "half eaten strawberry" on white canson paper 200gm, 9x12 although i cropped it, the paper is for watercolour or acrylic but all my pastel paper is at guess where????????at my caravan LOL

Craig Houghton
05-18-2003, 09:06 AM
what a fantastic strawberry -- there's a real elegance here that goes great with the less than proper condition of the strawberry :) well done!

i love the way you used color exactly where and when it was actually needed - looks great!

and! you'll now have the honor of posting next weeks riot :)

yesterday after posting the images i did the oaks, but I have to wait till I get back to my home state before posting -- besides, I'd rather wait to see how other ppl interpret the pic ;)

-Craig

Dark_Shades
05-18-2003, 09:16 AM
nice work flower :) ......... love the use of the colours ....... so well described by Craig

..... woooooo hooooooo you get to open next weeks....... well done

Kathryn Wilson
05-18-2003, 09:52 AM
Flower : It shows the spontaneity with which it was painted. Brilliant!

:clap:

Craig Houghton
05-19-2003, 12:55 AM
Since I picked the pics this week, I shouldn't probably be so hasty to post, but I am! Shortly after finding the oaks pic and posting it, I made this while at my gf's with a limited pallete. It's rembrandt and a few sennelier on colourifix primer i tinted navy blue using some gouache.

-Craig

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2003/21273-oaks.jpg

E-J
05-19-2003, 03:16 AM
Craig ~ I love the effect of the dark supports you use ~ and the dramatic contrasts you manage to create in your paintings ~ this really has impact.

Patricia ~ you've done a super job on that strawberry considering you didn't have the right paper!

Craig Houghton
05-19-2003, 07:42 AM
Thanks E-J, but now I'm addicted to the dark colourfix. I keep trying the lighter shades and regular paper supports, but I always end up coming back for my dark colourfix fix -- I'm a hopeless convert.

-Craig :P

flower
05-19-2003, 07:55 AM
Hi everyone,

Craig, thankyou so much for these comments, i was overwhelmed when i read them, your pastel is also extremely good, i like the intensity of the colours, the sky is beautiful.

Dawn, Kyle, E-J, thankyou for your encouraging comments too, i donīt know if there is a right or wrong paper, i found with some watercolour paper if i lay white first i can get the colours to blend really nice, found the canson mi-teints paper now so iīm going to try it out.

If i have some photos of my own do i have to send them into the ref library or can i upload direct into the thread?

Happy pastelling

Craig Houghton
05-19-2003, 08:00 AM
Thanks flower.

Also, I rightclicked the reference photo I wished to use, and then I copied (using control-c or Copy from the Edit menu) the url, and pasted (control-v or Paste from the Edit menu) the url into the message using the button on the message editor labelled "IMG." The will link right to the image in the library so that one needn't use the uploader etc.

Hope this helps,
Craig

Dark_Shades
05-19-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Craig Houghton
Since I picked the pics this week, I shouldn't probably be so hasty to post, but I am! Shortly after finding the oaks pic and posting it, I made this while at my gf's with a limited pallete. It's rembrandt and a few sennelier on colourifix primer i tinted navy blue using some gouache.

-Craig

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2003/21273-oaks.jpg

Nice work Craig ... well done

Kathryn Wilson
05-19-2003, 08:54 AM
Craig: What great color you achieve in your paintings. I love the shadows the trees are casting - it was the first thing I looked at when I viewed the ref photos.

I am in love with Art Spectrum's colourfix paper too - I keep using other paper I have on hand and wishing I had used the dark colourfix paper. Have you used any of their light colored paper - I have a sample pack with some light paper in it.

Luvy
05-19-2003, 09:20 AM
Well I tried the landscape. I was going to jump on that strawberry cause it's the easiest But I'm trying to learn to do these darn landscapes. And I don't like this one either.

Craig Houghton
05-19-2003, 09:26 AM
Luvy, that's a great composition. THere's a great contrast between the portrait ( :) ) of the barely budding tree and the green branches that you've used to frame it. I like it!

Kat, I tinted the white and clear primers to make some sheets of light green, light gray, and terracotta. I'm going to give them a try this week. I'm hoping the light papers get along with me for a least a painting or two :)

-Craig

Kathryn Wilson
05-19-2003, 09:45 AM
Luvy: Tell us exactly what in your painting you are unhappy with. Maybe, if we go about it that way, we can hear from you what you want to fix.

Craig: What do you use to paint on the primer? and how many coats?

Craig Houghton
05-19-2003, 10:16 AM
Craig: What do you use to paint on the primer? and how many coats?

Kat, I use a mini-roller to get down a good single coat. I give the paper the once-over with the primer, and then without waiting for it to dry, I apply another application with an opposite stroke (vertical to horizontal etc), and then just go back and forth smoothing it out a bit. If I used a lighter paper, instead of whatever watercolor paper I happen to grab, I imagine the paper would bend or bow, but several light coats instead of a one heavy coat, would probably fix that. The colourfix primer seems to be basically acrylic with pumice, so it dries super super fast. I'm planning on buying a sack of pumice from Dakota Pastels and mixing it with some comparitively cheap gesso.

-Craig

Mo.
05-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Wow, some speedy excellent work here already....great choice of photos Craig... love the contrast you've achieved in your landscape, very powerful.

Patricia Fantastic strawberry..it looks moist and juicy.

Luvy... don't know why you don't like your painting it's terrific.

Cheers,
Mo.

flower
05-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Hi everyone,

Hey Luvy, I like your landscape, i like the contrasts

Mo, once again thanks for your comment, glad you didnīt have to get a posse out, dawn already did it LOL

guilliame
05-19-2003, 04:20 PM
Luvy,this is good and i like the sky and you have a very nice effect of those grassy hills a lot of positives to take from this one.

Flower,nice strawberry and i particulary like the leaves too well done.

Craig,really nice contrasts and ditto other comments very compelling and dramatic feel to it.

Well done everyone:D

flower
05-19-2003, 04:25 PM
Hi guilliame,

Thanks for your comments and taking the time to look

guilliame
05-19-2003, 04:33 PM
Sorry Craig too many trees for me,decided to move in on just one size 10x8,iv'e progressed to 2 paintings last week so i might try 3 this week. if i try the flowers i will have to buy some black wet and dry sandpaper so maybe try the fruit next:D

flower
05-19-2003, 04:37 PM
Hi guilliame,

Love the different greens in this, nice play with colour.............

oramasha
05-19-2003, 05:05 PM
Craig-- Great choices! I love the crispness of your landscape. Yup, I love your darks. Question: I have watercolor paper (cold press 300 lb.), acrylics, and watercolors...if I tone my wc paper w/ a dark acrylic .. .will my paper have enough tooth for the pastels on top? I want to try your methods, but I don't have your exact mediums.

Flower-- your strawberry reminds me of spring time! lovely loose interpretation. playful :D

Luvy--And, I thought I was hard on myself! As Kat asked me on my first. ..did you have fun? I have some crazy ideas for you, (that I'm actually going to adopt myself) but you didn't ask for feedback, so I'm going to refrain.

Butterfly-- I caught your last marble. You should never be the one holding the last marble. I enjoyed seeing it.

Craig Houghton
05-19-2003, 05:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments! They're very encouraging :)

guilliame - that's a fantastic painting. i'm glad you decided there were too many tree, you picked one and gave it life and depth it originally lost to contrast - looks great

Originally posted by oramasha
Craig-- Great choices! I love the crispness of your landscape. Yup, I love your darks. Question: I have watercolor paper (cold press 300 lb.), acrylics, and watercolors...if I tone my wc paper w/ a dark acrylic .. .will my paper have enough tooth for the pastels on top? I want to try your methods, but I don't have your exact mediums.

oramasha - I think it's really just the pumice in the acrylic that gives the colourfix its tooth. I do however know that some people do some acrylic under-painting, but to the best of my knowledge (limited as it is) the underpainting is done with a thin wash so that there's still some tooth available. I think if you just coat it with a dark acrylic you won't get the same tooth - you'll probably get _some_ though. However, I think part of the vibrancy of the dark colourfix stuff is the ability of the support's positive tooth to really grab hold of layered color. I can pretty much layer as I see fit or really load the support with pastel.

For the skies, for example, I discovered that I can wash over the black colourfix with a light side-rub of a soft sennelier then streak back over it with a heavy-handed midnight blue. I give it some gradient, leave empty spots for clouds, and that works for me. I don't think I could do that easily without the positve tooth of the colourfix.

Hope that helps -- either way, test if out on a small piece and see how it holds. My recommendation is really to get some black mis-tientes (or some other paper) and try it out - it's great for getting the light colors to really stand out on the paper. I think dakota art pastels or dick blick also have colourfix primer - it's worth the buy @ 12 or so a bottle (sometimes lower or higher).

Thanks everyone!
Craig

Kathryn Wilson
05-19-2003, 06:07 PM
Hee Hee - this thread is turning in an Art Spectrum Colourfix party - I posted this in another thread awhile back:

I had a big problem with a painting I had done and decided to try and correct it - I took one of the clay shapers and scraped off everything done to the tooth in the paper and it held up very, very well. I did this on another painting in a small spot, and again it held up well. To get the best results, it does pay to use really good paper/support. You won't be sorry.

:cat:

Mo.
05-19-2003, 07:54 PM
Guilli you little terror you didn't use the uploader, can't see your painting :)

But I remember it is gorgeous, full of natures colours, well done you! :clap:

Kat..no pic showing...did you forget to post it? :)

Well Craig... It's been a hard few days for me preparing for a demo tomorrow night, so went beserk and felt free.... Wheee..such fun. :D

I had this gawd awful coloured paper, didn't know what to do with it, so used it for your oak trees, just a quickie sketch with OP's ten minutes work...took me longer to adjust the colours (flash nightime pic, dig cam) and resize and upload..colours slightly out, paper leaning more towards magenta, no black in the sketch either...all dark blue........great fun...Hey I could post this in the weekly thread shot, as it was a quickie... 8X12 "

cheers,
Mo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2003/5154-craigstrees.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
05-19-2003, 09:36 PM
MO: No, no - I was quoting something I had said in another post. LOVE your red paper - how brave - can't wait to see how you handle the reds and greens.

I am working on the flower - ech! First flower for me and not quite sure what I am doing. For the middle of the flower I used a Unisom red - my goodness, but this could be addictive. So soft and buttery - first Unisom I had ever used.

Would post my progress, but I want to do this same flower in OP's and then post together. Should be interesting to see a comparison.

Kathryn Wilson
05-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Oh my, what is that medal thingee for?? I got a notice from WC, but can't imagine that I have been on WC long enough to collect one of those!

E-J
05-20-2003, 06:09 AM
Kat ~ I've got two sticks of Unison and love them to bits. I've asked for a set of 72 assorted for my birthday ... just 92 days to go now, LOL. Congrats on your medal :D

Mo, that red background was a really bold choice. I can only see the trees as black on this pc, but dark blue sounds cool. Dark green would work well too, I should imagine. You could do a series of them, each in a different colour!

Craig, going back to your landscape: what colour[s] did you use for the cast shadows of the trees? Or did you leave the paper dark blue? It's hard to tell on my monitor. I've got a beautiful sheet of black Somerset Velvet 11"x15" just waiting for a subject and can just picture this landscape on it ... No, wait, it's actually YOUR version I'm picturing on it :D Hope I can turn out something half as good.

Craig Houghton
05-20-2003, 09:19 AM
Mo, love the red - the trees look lonely out there!

Originally posted by E-J
Craig, going back to your landscape: what colour[s] did you use for the cast shadows of the trees? Or did you leave the paper dark blue? It's hard to tell on my monitor. I've got a beautiful sheet of black Somerset Velvet 11"x15" just waiting for a subject and can just picture this landscape on it ... No, wait, it's actually YOUR version I'm picturing on it :D Hope I can turn out something half as good.

I'm really floored by your comments -- thank you! I'm glad you like it enough to want something similar; that's quite a compliment.

To the best of my recollection I used some super dark greens on the shadows along with some dark umber shades. There's blue in there too -- seemed to help, but that's only on the big shadow. I also took some dark green and black hard nupastel (hard stuff seems to cut through the softer under layers for an interesting effect - learned that somewhere on wc) and touched up the shadow here and there. I spent more time on that big shadow than I did on most other parts.

-Craig

Here's a shadow detail:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2003/21273-oakdetail.JPG

Craig Houghton
05-20-2003, 10:35 PM
btw, kat, congrats on the medal! :P

oramasha
05-21-2003, 11:30 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2003/16183-P5210012pastelflower.jpg

Hopefully, my first correctly uploaded image (thanks d.s.). In regards to my flower, I"m open to any advice. I"m trying to learn how to draw, so any tips would be appreciated. I dislike how the flowers are floating, but I was too chicken to experiment w/ grounding them somehow.

Guilly-- I love the delicacy and impressionistic look to your tree.
Mo-- Nice quickie.
Kat- Congrats on medal.
:D

oramasha
05-21-2003, 11:44 AM
Okay, I don't know what I did wrong. :crying:
Sorry, all.

Craig Houghton
05-21-2003, 11:47 AM
Choose the Edit button in the bottom right of your message, and if there's still time it will let you go back to fix the image tag. You are missing a leading bracket

add [

in front of

IMG]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2003/16183-P5210012pastelflower.jpg[/IMG]

Hope this helps,
Craig

oramasha
05-21-2003, 11:51 AM
Craig, you're my savior! thanks!

Kathryn Wilson
05-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Well done, Oramasha - free flowing color! I think the background works well. Struggling with this painting - will upload my disaster soon.

Thanks for the congrats -

E-J
05-21-2003, 12:55 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2003/16183-P5210012pastelflower.jpg

oramasha ~ your flowers are so pretty! Nice one :)

Craig Houghton
05-21-2003, 01:12 PM
beautiful flowers! i'd hang that on my wall in a heartbeat.

well done!

-Craig

oramasha
05-21-2003, 01:50 PM
thanks all. yikes, i'm embarrassed. my results are unpolished and child-like, but i hope to get the hang of this. i dream of being able to hang my own creation on my wall one day!

Kat, looking forward to seeing your flower.

Craig Houghton
05-21-2003, 02:11 PM
thanks all. yikes, i'm embarrassed. my results are unpolished and child-like, but i hope to get the hang of this. i dream of being able to hang my own creation on my wall one day!

actually, your results are really vibrant and have a spontaneous sort of electricity - i would never assume you didn't have the hang of it - looks like something you executed exactly as you wanted the painting to come out. i'm glad you didn't "polish" it up - it's great

-Craig

oramasha
05-21-2003, 02:45 PM
thanks, Craig.
:)

flower
05-21-2003, 03:24 PM
Hi Oramasha,

I love the colours you have chosen, its spontaneous i really like it

E-J
05-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Craig Houghton
actually, your results are really vibrant and have a spontaneous sort of electricity - i would never assume you didn't have the hang of it - looks like something you executed exactly as you wanted the painting to come out. i'm glad you didn't "polish" it up - it's great-Craig

Agree with Craig! Spontaneous and vibrant are exactly what this is. You've made some lovely intuitive marks and the pink of the flowers against that background turquoise would knock my socks off if I was wearing any :) I reckon you should mount and frame this one and hang it on your wall.

Mo.
05-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Oramasha... Have you ever seen any or all of Van Gogh's Sunflower paintings? Your painting reminds me of his style, i.e. the one we are most familiar with, loose and flowing, do you paint with oils at all? If not I think you would be a natural, your painting is very much alive, good use of complentaries too... you should be very pleased with this.

Well done! :clap:

Cheers,
Mo.

oramasha
05-22-2003, 06:41 AM
EJ, Flower, & Mo- Thank you for your kind comments.

Mo, I'll have to refresh myself on Van Gogh's sunflower paintings. I think that man was all about the emotional brushstroke. I "color" as fast as I can, in order to drown out any negative chatter that wants to develop! Also, I only used Nupastels--so I couldn't layer as much as others w/ more softies. I had fun, figuring things out, and relaxed after a bit. I'd LOVE to try oils, but I want more skill and confidence in my drawing skills, first. -- Lisa

sundiver
05-22-2003, 02:49 PM
o.p.and ink on manila tag, 5x7
The monitor here at work is very dark so I won't really know how it scanned until I get home. Did it on my break with cheapo materials.

E-J
05-22-2003, 03:31 PM
Just finished an underdrawing for a still life and have snuck in for a 10-min browse while my fish is cooking for dinner ... I've brushed off quite a few friends in order to spend the whole evening painting ... anyone else find they've turned completely antisocial since discovering pastels??

I meant to have a go at that landscape ... but my black Somerset spoke to me and suggested something else entirely. Guess we'll see soon enough whether it was worth listening to :D

Wendy ~ haven't seen op with ink before! This is very decorative and I like the effect of the diagonal lines. It's fun to see how different eyes interpret the same subject ... you start to appreciate how much of the interpretation is down to each person's own unique style.

sundiver
05-22-2003, 07:12 PM
Craig, mo, luvy and guillaime, it's cool to see the different interpretations of the trees; all so individual, all nicely done, too!
oramasha, love the flowers and your loose style.
flower, that strawberry is so real I can smell it!

Mo.
05-22-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by sundiver
o.p.and ink on manila tag, 5x7
The monitor here at work is very dark so I won't really know how it scanned until I get home. Did it on my break with cheapo materials.

Wendy you are so knowledgeable and experimental with the OP's, give girl, tell us more, better still post in the OP thread about your techniques..pretty please,....this technique is intriguing me, why oh why don't you give a WIP/demo? I know I asked you before... and I know what your answer was then, I don't accept that answer, come on Wendy, you are so good with them..can't I twist your arm a little :)

Love this painting, cheapos or not it's excellent. I want to know/learn more.:)

Cheers,
Mo.

Mo.
05-22-2003, 07:24 PM
EJ, Flower, & Mo- Thank you for your kind comments.

Mo, I'll have to refresh myself on Van Gogh's sunflower paintings. I think that man was all about the emotional brushstroke. I "color" as fast as I can, in order to drown out any negative chatter that wants to develop! Also, I only used Nupastels--so I couldn't layer as much as others w/ more softies. I had fun, figuring things out, and relaxed after a bit. I'd LOVE to try oils, but I want more skill and confidence in my drawing skills, first. -- Lisa

Lisa.. If you would LOVE to try oils, then do so..you have nothing to lose, everything to gain, they are the most forgiving of all media...Take the bull by the horns and get in there...you may regret it if you don't try..go on you know you want to.:D

Cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
05-22-2003, 07:58 PM
Craig & the Pastel Riot Gang: Didyaever plan to do something and then just not find the time to do it? My flower pastel is on my easel and not done - and it's not going to get done.

I feel so bad, Craig, because everyone was so supportive of my Pastel Riot last week, but we are leaving for Ohio late tomorrow and going to be gone at least a week. I just couldn't fit in enough time to devote to this project.

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm going to be gone, but will be back with a vengence when I get back. I'll miss all my new friends on WC.

Craig Houghton
05-22-2003, 09:16 PM
sundiver - looks great! wish the scan was a bit larger though, hard to see detail. did you scratch out the black texture lines in the op? looks great!

Originally posted by kyle
Craig & the Pastel Riot Gang: Didyaever plan to do something and then just not find the time to do it? My flower pastel is on my easel and not done - and it's not going to get done.

I feel so bad, Craig, because everyone was so supportive of my Pastel Riot last week, but we are leaving for Ohio late tomorrow and going to be gone at least a week. I just couldn't fit in enough time to devote to this project.

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm going to be gone, but will be back with a vengence when I get back. I'll miss all my new friends on WC.

take your time! I just wish you posted a work in progress pic :P have a great time in ohio - hope everything goes great

-Craig

guilliame
05-23-2003, 05:51 AM
Ialso seem to be pushed for time this week 2 family birthdays,if it stops raining weed the garden,if it rains fit another hard drive and more memory i have no more disc space left,and everthing is sooo slow,remember to buy some wet and dry sandpaper if i havehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2003/6932-berry.gif time to try the flowers,here is my berry:D

oramasha
05-23-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Mo.

Wendy you are so knowledgeable and experimental with the OP's, give girl, tell us more, better still post in the OP thread about your techniques..pretty please,....this technique is intriguing me, why oh why don't you give a WIP/demo? I know I asked you before... and I know what your answer was then, I don't accept that answer, come on Wendy, you are so good with them..can't I twist your arm a little :)

Love this painting, cheapos or not it's excellent. I want to know/learn more.:)

Cheers,
Mo.

Sundiver-- Good luck saying "no" to that request! I absolutely cracked up reading Mo's response. I like the effect of your diagonal lines and loose interp. of the flowers. Now I'm curious to check out the oil pastel thread. Would love to see a close up of the flowers.

MO- You are hilarious! :D Maybe you and Sundiver can both hit the road w/ some demos. ;) Do you play w/ oils, too?

Guilly-- I like the presence of your strawberry. It looks so alive, as if the leaves are like legs supporting it. I tried this berry twice, and it kept looking like an orange slice!
---Lisa

E-J
05-23-2003, 08:10 AM
guilli ~ if there can be such a thing as an adorable strawberry, you've painted it. It's so cute!! :)

JamieWG
05-23-2003, 08:41 AM
Craig, these are wonderful choices for the week and if it doesn't stop raining here, I may just have to join in!

Great work happening this week. I'm especially enjoying those experiments with new styles and techniques. What a great use of the material.

Jamie

flower
05-23-2003, 10:26 AM
Hi everyone,

Guilli i love your strawberry, it so vibrant

To everyone elso also nice looking at your pictures

sundiver
05-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
Love this painting, cheapos or not it's excellent. I want to know/learn more.:)Cheers,
Mo.
Ouch! My arm! :D
A quickie
ref pic (by mustcreate)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2003/6393-refphotoofpeppers.jpg
stage 1 marker on manilla tag
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2003/6393-pepperswip1.jpg
stage 2 oil pastel
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2003/6393-pepperswip2.jpg
Then it gets completely covered in India ink. Didn't bother scanning that stage!
Lastly, the ink gets scratched off!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2003/6393-pepperswip3.jpg

There are lots of ways to vary this; scratch more specifically, wash the ink off, etc.

sundiver
05-23-2003, 02:48 PM
I meant to include this in the previous post, buty too much time had elapsed.
That technique is pretty elementary. Do you really think it warrants a post on the oil pastels sticky?

Kathryn Wilson
05-23-2003, 03:27 PM
Hi gang: Found some time to work some more. Here they are: one soft pastel and one oil pastel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2003/14941-pink-flowers.jpg

The soft pastel is on dark green Art Spectrum Colourfix paper (9x12). Not sure what the problem was - but I could never find the right colors. Took out the big flower petals twice - I do not count petals well - LOL.

The oil pastel is done on Clayboard scratchboard for want of anything black to paint on. It's like using lipstick, but I really got the hang of it after a bit. Layered several times on petals and background. This took 15 min. as opposed to 3 days.

Glad I got it done - see you next weekend!

Kathryn Wilson
05-23-2003, 03:34 PM
Sundiver : Love that effect - what do you scratch the ink off with? Is the ink dry and how long does it take to dry?

Very interesting - :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

sundiver
05-24-2003, 12:16 PM
Kat, you should post those in April's pastel project if you haven't already done so (doesn't have to be April!). Isn't it fun to try the same thing two different ways? Both look great!
I scratched the ink off with a wooden stylus. A wooden skewer or sharp toothpick would do. At home here I have a scratchboard nib but have been known to use whatever pointy thing I can find!
The ink dries quickly. It's ok if you can see some color coming through.

guilliame
05-24-2003, 03:49 PM
Well its the 24th just time to get this one in,first time iv'e done all three:) thanks everyone for your comments on the other 2.

Mo,you make me feel as though i should be more adventurous,nice choice love the blue trees on that red paper:D

Kyle,congrats on your gong:D ,nice flowers as well,my fav is the one on the left:)

Oramasha,looks like you had a lot of fun with the flowers,quick and spontaneous is the way to go.nice one well done:)

Sundiver,very interesting w.i.p. and i like the effect you have on this and the flowers:D reminds me of filling a sheet with various shades of charcoal and then take out all the highlights of your subject with an eraser:D

Those round thingies with little dots on in the middle of the flower drove me crazy so i more or less forgot about the pic put some colour down and had some fun:D http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2003/6932-bud.gif

Mo.
05-24-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by sundiver
I meant to include this in the previous post, buty too much time had elapsed.
That technique is pretty elementary. Do you really think it warrants a post on the oil pastels sticky?

Wendy.. thanks for posting your quickie demo it's brill, sorry about your arm too. :D

The oil pastel thread is meant to be informative of the medium and techniques used...so yes it does warrant a post there, this is a technique I didn't know about and I'm sure others would like to know about it too.
I like the effect you've achieved here, Ihad some indian ink to try it out, but the bottle had dried out, it's that old. :D...must buy some more.

cheers,
Mo.

Mo.
05-24-2003, 07:06 PM
Kat, lovely , lovely flowers,.. Sundiver is right too, post them in the April project, it's good to see the difference between the two, you've done so well with these.:)

Cheers,
Mo.

Mo.
05-24-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by guilliame
[B]Well its the 24th just time to get this one in,first time iv'e done all three:) thanks everyone for your comments on the other 2.

Guilli, I first read you post above as being 24 times you tried to post this. :D... . LOL:)

You've done a grand job, and bravo on doing all three :clap:...is that a record?

with mine I just looked and had this red sheet of cansons...and everything seemed to click.

Cheers,
Mo.

Craig Houghton
05-24-2003, 07:14 PM
guilliame - great strawberry! it looks like someone bit into and uncovered a molten core of bright strawberry goodness. i like the bright center and well-detailed "container." also, glad to see the flowers as well! there's a lot going on there and it does indeed look like fun

sundiver - great walkthrough, thank you

kyle - im really glad you found the time, i love them!! is especially love the oil, it's incredibly vibrant

Thanks everyone for making this such a great week! I really enjoyed everyones post. tomorrow i'll post a pic only reply that contians everyones submissions.

Thanks again!
Craig

E-J
05-25-2003, 04:43 AM
guilli ~ "those round thingies with little dots on in the middle of the flower" ... you sound almost as horticulturally challenged as me, LOL :D

It's funny ... seeing all these different versions of the flowers, I've suddenly realised I can't remember what the original photo was like. The pastel interpretations are always more interesting than the photo, however good a photo it is.

Great Riot everyone :clap:

Smudger
05-25-2003, 05:13 AM
Phew!... Just made it in time:D

E-J
05-25-2003, 05:16 AM
oh Mark, this is completely beautiful :clap: :) So glad you're back on the forum.

What are the dimensions?

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 05:39 AM
ohhhhhh for some reason I havent rec'd the updates on this thread.......... the posters have done wonderful jobs on all their works..... Orm I too love the vibrant colours in your flowers..... look electric .... well done...... Guilly, Im with EJ, your strawberry is soooooo cute! ........ Kyle you did great on tackling the same subject twice, and you should put them into Sundivers Project.... they would look good in there ........ Smudge better late than never......... your landscape turned out wonderfully..... love those rolling hills........ look so solid, and the foreground grasses..... very nice touch and interest .... good one
Wendy....... you know so many different styles and techniques and willing to share, great stuff

... well done to all

....... dont forget ....... next weeks one has started already for Flower ...... so no peace for the wicked :evil:

Smudger
05-25-2003, 06:28 AM
Thanks E-J and DS:D

E-J - it is about 11x6 on burgandy canson

Mo.
05-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Smudger
Phew!... Just made it in time:D

Smudge ...this is just gorgeous, it deserves to be posted in it's own thread...Beautiful painting. :clap::clap:

cheers,
Mo.

Smudger
05-27-2003, 04:22 AM
Thanks Mo.. i've put it in the lanscape forum to see what they make of it.