PDA

View Full Version : Streams of Light

coulter
05-17-2003, 01:03 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-17-2003/6690_Steams_of_Lightb.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Streams of Light
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I might have made the foreground too interesting...what do you think?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
yes

Fagan
05-17-2003, 01:12 PM
I think it is just right! beautiful work...etheral

giniaad
05-17-2003, 03:56 PM
great title...

works and looks great for me!
just the right shades of everything
peaceful, refreshing...

Gilberte
05-17-2003, 04:26 PM
All my appreciation especially the foreground !

Paintonbrush
05-17-2003, 04:43 PM
The right title. play with shadow emotive.
fab work

artbabe21
05-17-2003, 05:13 PM
very soft for you Mark, not your usual style...very peaceful, lovely light...

think I'd like to see more darks for punch, it just reads mostly mid values to me...it's strokes away from just wonderful IMO

coulter
05-17-2003, 05:40 PM
Thank you Beverly!

Thank you Ginia! I actually gave the title some thought...

Gilberte, thank you!

Yes Diane, more emotive, I'm trying

Cath, that's an interesting observation that this isn't my style, I have to think about that. It's funny, the softness seems to get comments, but I feel it's more color choice and quality of light that I'm chasing after. That and more "feel" or emotion into the painting.
Oh and darker darks in real life :)

Mark

artbabe21
05-17-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by coulter
Oh and darker darks in real life :)

I wondered if it was in fact the photo...just didn't have that 'Mark feel' to it for me I guess...can't put my finger on it....but it's still lovely one Mark...:)

mattlart
05-18-2003, 11:51 AM
I'm glad you posted this one Mark. I really can't tell from the photo whether you've done any more work on it since I had seen it "upcloseandpersonal" yesterday.
It looks GOOD;...very close to what I saw.
For me,..looking with fresh eyes here;...it works beautifully.
The ethereal softness (and light) are the draw, for me. And keeping the tonal values relatively close together helps to accomplish that.

Funny I can REALLY see myself walking along the Highline canal..
just up over that hill,....and out of site..:) a BEAUTY! Cheers

BTW: I'm still working on the pleinair.....lol....:rolleyes: :evil: ;)

coulter
05-18-2003, 01:16 PM
Thank you Cath, it's nice, because it's one that I think is lovely too. I don't know about anyone else, but a lot of stuff I create, I just "eh, it's OK I guess". But I like this one.

Hey Scott! Thanks! Yeah I didn't do too much, put some light into the foreground, messed with the rocks, nothing substantial.

I can't decide whether to "fix" my plein air or just leave it as a learning example for myself LOL!
Yours had some great potential, I thought! :)

Mark

artbabe21
05-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by coulter
Thank you Cath, it's nice, because it's one that I think is lovely too. I don't know about anyone else, but a lot of stuff I create, I just "eh, it's OK I guess". But I like this one.

oh, I sure DO know that feeling and am sorry if I was seemingly,unintentionally critical of this....all your work is so beautiful (and I take THAT for granted) this style was just a tad different & perhaps where you are growing...best of luck w/plein aire!

coulter
05-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by artbabe21
sorry if I was seemingly,unintentionally critical of this....

LOL! Are you kiddin'?! One of the best things for me is to have to stop and think about it!! And you're saying it doesn't look like mine is just the thing to make me THINK! I love it! :D

Mark

woodguy
05-18-2003, 05:00 PM
Mark....If this place exists as you have painted it, I need directions on how to get there. This would be the perfect place for a intimate picnic!! What a fantastic mood you have created! Very, very good! Jim

coulter
05-19-2003, 09:29 AM
Thanks Jim! it's a little mountain park just south of Kittridge on 74. I don't know about intimate though, just to the right of this scene is a permanent and very well used volleyball net.

I was there very early one morning so I had the place to myself.

Also, if this wet weather continues, that little seep in the foreground of my painting will be primo mosquito breeding grounds LOL!

Mark

angelmakerla
05-19-2003, 02:51 PM
Without the title, I can't figure out what your intent is. The image should be able to evoke this. Maybe darken the image toward the back of your plain of view. Also add highlights of the water in detail, i.e., give it lights and darks.

Also, the foreground is not coming across as clearly as what I think your intent might be. Push yourself further...I know you have it in you! :o)