PDA

View Full Version : Soul Searching

Healer
05-16-2003, 09:09 PM
Hi dudes and dudesses,

Bit quiet on here recently. Tonights encaustic creation.

Title: Soul Searching
Size: 15 x 11 inches (37 x 28 cm)
Encaustic waxes on sealed white card using an Iron.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/20098-encaustic-soulsearching.JPG

thanks for looking,
Andy

:cat:

Adrienne
05-16-2003, 11:27 PM
Beautiful in a kind of sad way. Kind of blue, like I feel. I'm probably guilty of reading what I feel into what I see...

surreal
05-17-2003, 01:17 AM
Very intriguing.
Nice sense of depth!

jenna_searcher
05-17-2003, 11:42 AM
a galaxy of laundry lint....i like it :)

CarolAnn
05-17-2003, 11:58 PM
I love the title which drew me into the center of the piece. I see a figure coming out of the bright and vibrant unknown. MMmmmm You are awakening. lol Very nice work.

Healer
05-18-2003, 08:00 AM
Adrienne, Nina, Jenna and CarolAnn - Thank you for looking and the kind comments :D The picture looks darker here (on my screen anyway) and the violet doesn't show up too well.

Adrienne - we all see things in abstract work differently due to our different careers, experiences in life and personalities so we are probably all guilty of it.

CarolAnn - Me awakening is deffo not a pretty sight :D

Cheers all,
Andy

CarolAnn
05-18-2003, 11:29 AM
RE:
CarolAnn - Me awakening is deffo not a pretty sight :D

You paint something different. Maybe you should look again. :)

sciartist
05-19-2003, 08:24 AM
You really need to stop posting these;) Everytime I see one of your encaustics I want to try it myself. It looks like such a fun medium to work in.

Oh by the way, I love it.

paintergirl
05-19-2003, 10:37 AM
Once again, amazing work! Love this encaustic method and appreciate the colors you have used in this palette.

Appropriate title b.t.w...it feels subtle... mixed emotions, restless....

Healer
05-19-2003, 06:25 PM
Mike and Julia - Thank you both for looking and commenting. It is indeed a fun medium because of the weirdness of effects you can create. It can also be a frustrating medium because of the limited control you have over what you are creating and the fact each time you touch the surface it is hard not to disturb what is already there.

cheers
Andy

artist60164
05-19-2003, 08:29 PM
very deep and mystical. please share your technique.

somerset
05-19-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Healer
It is indeed a fun medium because of the weirdness of effects you can create. It can also be a frustrating medium because of the limited control you have over what you are creating and the fact each time you touch the surface it is hard not to disturb what is already there.

cheers
Andy

I thought Encaustics may be chaotic based upon what I'd read but it seems to me that you have a higher degree of control than common or you have a really good plan. All have been excellent.

Nisha
05-20-2003, 10:30 AM
This one really has an eerie feeling to it. Spooky:eek:. I like it.

I'm not to familiar with this medium either. I'd love to hear how you are able to work magic with these waxes.

Nisha:D

Healer
05-20-2003, 05:57 PM
Thank you Artist60164, Somerset and Nisha for looking and the kind comments.

Somerset – It is quite a chaotic process yes, mainly because of the tools commonly used (an Iron and sometimes a hot air gun). Imagine using a flat plate to load and spread paint on a surface but knowing that each layer you put on will disturb the layer beneath. You just need to see things as they appear or know how to get particular effects.
Nisha – Yes I agree with you, it definitely has an eerie feel to it. It’s probably the second one of mine that has had that feeling.

You all asked about my technique. Well, to add to what I have written above, my technique is all in the pressure and movement of the iron, amount of wax I use, temperature of the iron, the area of the iron I use (whole, edge) and how I touch it on to the surface. I have built up my understanding via a lot of attempts and mentally noting my mistakes (and there have been many of them). Basically what I do is use a lower temperature on the Iron first (just a notch above the setting the wax starts to melt at) to apply thicker denser layers of the wax around the card. Then I increase the iron temperature (not by too much, just to make the wax more runny) and use clear wax with a little coloured wax and use light pressure as I move it about areas of the card. This gives a kind of misty/dreamy look to the wax and smooths any borders between different colours in that area. I then sometimes use the above techniques to apply and work more wax. I use waxes made by several manufacturers and they behave differently – the small encaustic blocks available in the UK flow easier than the “professional” waxes sold in USA and tend to be good for spreading other colours about (like I mentioned regarding the clear wax above). I suppose you can consider the clear wax like you consider linseed oil/turps in oil painting, or gel medium / glazing medium in acrylic painting. I use a combination of different waxes in each picture. The advantage with the pro ones is that you can pick up any colour that you can pick up in any artists paint range (something like 80 colours). I am only really a novice at this (only started seriously in February) and all the time I am striving to get better. I would love to be able to paint with brushes with this stuff and try more planned paintings like I used to do with oil pastels. I will be renewing that quest soon. For now, if I feel like just creating then I just do it. That’s the essence of it really – you can just go at it with very little planned and see what happens and manipulate the wax using your imagination. I am also trying out different surfaces too.
If any of you want to see the general techniques then Joe Majury did an article in the Alt Materials section on the basics of painting encaustic with an Iron. There are also some articles(techniques) on the site below.

www.encaustic.com

Sometime when I get my digital camera fixed (I use a scanner to post them here) or buy a new one I will take some photos. Sorry for the speech, I got carried away. Thanks all for the interest in the technique.

Regards,
Andy

Xerielle
05-21-2003, 12:06 PM
I LOVE your encaustics! Their depths are mesmerizing! :)

Healer
05-21-2003, 08:40 PM
Thanks Xerielle! Glad you liked it. Your post makes me so happy just before I hop off to bed.

Andy