PDA

View Full Version : In Memory of Daisy - 1st dog painting

crazeejumper
05-16-2003, 06:05 PM
Daisy was my best friend Kate's Retriever mix who passed away about one month ago. She was 14 years old, I think, and such a sweet dog. She had a couple of health problems this year, but nothing dire. One day, she just collapsed and was rushed to the vet. Unfortunately, they couldn't save her... I had been wanting to do something for Kate & her mom who loved Daisy very much, too. It just so happens that their birthdays are May 17 & 18, respectively. So I worked on a portrait of Daisy and matted it, along with a poem I found to give them. This was my first dog painting ever. I am not that happy with the way it turned out. The color is off (she looked more beige in real life), and doing fur was a bit tedious. Doing the matting myself wasn't a complete success, either. It was a good learning experience, though, and I hope it will be a good remembrance for the birthday gals.

Specs: W&N Artists watercolor on 11x14 Arches

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/13102-daisywc.JPG

Here it is, matted. The mat board is actually cream, not beige like the picture shows.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/13102-daisy2.jpg

I'm dropping it off to them tomorrow. Will be holding my breath!

echidna
05-16-2003, 06:12 PM
i'm sure they will be very touched by this- expect tears! very nice for your first dog. hope to see you do more soon!
~Echidna

Christie
05-16-2003, 06:15 PM
Personally, I think that it is a lovely tribute and I am sure that it will be received as such. The faults that you see are often only apparent to you. :)

This is a lovely piece of work.

Night Horse Studio
05-16-2003, 07:26 PM
This is excellent, CJ! They will absolutely love it.

Stephanie

kayek
05-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Ahhh...So sweet, It's a grand idea and and a very wonderful gift.I am sure they will love it, I know I would!
Kaye

Paul Hopkinson
05-16-2003, 07:46 PM
Connie there is nothing wrong with this at all. You have done a superb job on it. I'm sure it will be well recieved!

Paul

BTDogMom
05-16-2003, 08:40 PM
I think it's great Connie - it made me cry and it's not even my dog!! Great matting job btw!:clap: :clap:

crazeejumper
05-16-2003, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the votes of confidence, guys! What would I do without you all? ;)

RachelG*
05-17-2003, 12:12 AM
What a thoughtful tribute! I'm sure they will love it!!!! that's so sad about poor Daisy.....:crying:

lorna12
05-17-2003, 03:59 AM
Oh, that is sooo nice of you to do that!

I love the way you put the daisy with Daisy. I think the overall portrait is wonderful and I'm sure they are going to love it and you for doing it.

Great job!:clap: :clap:

She-She
05-17-2003, 04:42 AM
OUTSTANDING!! What more can I say.

I hope to see more doggie paintings from you. :D

MonicaB
05-17-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by BTDogMom
I think it's great Connie - it made me cry and it's not even my dog!!

I must admit I'm a softie too -- I teared up when I read this and saw the wonderful painting. Awesome job!

crazeejumper
05-17-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone!!!

Update: the gift-giving was a success! Kate's mom cried. I was happy but a little uneasy since I'd never made anyone cry before! It was a great feeling, though, and I'm really glad I could do this for them. :)