PDA

View Full Version : Help with drawing

RachelG*
05-16-2003, 02:14 PM
ok, here's another drawing i'm working on...this is a pic of a jockey and the horse he rode...sadly, both died recently, the horse in a racing accident; the jockey in a dar crash. i was thinking of drawing this and sending it to the barn manager where they both were, but i can't seem to get it quite right.
All comments/critiques welcome!
Thanks!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/11686-Jockey1.jpg
and here's the ref photo:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/11686-refjockey1.jpg
thanks again for looking!
:)

RachelG*
05-16-2003, 02:15 PM
LOL i don't know why the drawing is sideways...i'll try to fix that!!:D

RachelG*
05-16-2003, 02:16 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/11686-Jockeypic1.jpg

echidna
05-16-2003, 02:34 PM
what jumps out at me is that the horses' eyes are too close together. you can easily fix that by moving the eye closest to the jockey out a bit. obth the eyes are a little too small, also. can't help with the jockey, as i cannot draw people to save my life!
this is a very sweet tribute- you get karma points!
~Echidna

raye51
05-16-2003, 02:40 PM
i think the jockey's mouth need to be a bit wider.... What a great tribute you are doing....
Raye

Paul Hopkinson
05-16-2003, 08:26 PM
This is looking realy good so far. Be careful of the highlight around the horses left eye (right as well look at it). I don't think it's as light in the photo. It doe's make the eye sort of stick out a little.

Keep posting this one for the progess I would be interested to see the results.

Paul

RachelG*
05-17-2003, 12:09 AM
Hey-thanks for checking this out, you guys!
Echidna-i agree about the eyes. i knew there was something of...i just couldn't tell what. sometimes you just need a fresh pair of eyes to figure it out for you!!:D
Raye-yea, the mouth is a bit short. the guy's face is proving to be very daunting, because the photo was taken in harsh light, so most of his features are not visible. i'll definitely widen the mouth a bit. thanks!!
Paul-You're absolutely right about the highlight! sometimes i get a bit carried away with highlights, and become a little afraid of using dark-darks...:rolleyes: i'll fix this for sure!
Thanks again for looking, you guys!!:D

sportpony
05-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Can't help with the jockey as I am definitely not a "people artist" but I think the problem with the horse is first, the eyes are a bit too close together and too small ... but then you have narrowed the head too much above the eye.

The head itself should not narrow as much and the ears should be set further apart. I think you need to set the eye closest to the jockey a bit further out and also the ear as well ... wider between the ears as well as above the eyes.

I think part of the problem may be in the photo you're working from ... I think part of the width there is in shadow and you can't actually see that part of the head ... there's more "fullness" over the eye closest to the jockey that doesn't show up well.

Axl
05-17-2003, 07:13 PM
This is looking great :D

Lots of comments about the horse, how bout the jockey :D Make sure that his shoulders are even. right now his right shoulder is attatched to his neck at a higher position than his left one. Just lowering the right one a smidge will help with this, or on the contrary, raising the left one

Also, his arm is bugging me a little bit. Are you intending to depict him with his arm raised, holding the bridal of the horse (i think thats right... bridal? lol) or down by his side perhaps holding his reigns? If you could tell us how you are planning on positioning his arm, i'll comment on fixing his elbow

keep up the good work!

RachelG*
05-17-2003, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the help!!!
sportpony-i see what you are saying about his forehead and ears. i have a tendancy to make horses' foreheads a bit to narrow, just like you said. i see just what you're saying about the shadow-i'll be sure to fix that (if, that is, i ever get time to pick up a pencil:rolleyes: )
Axl-Yeah, i'm having a hard time with the jockey. he's dropping his shoulders, which is throwing off whole alighnment. (s). he is, in fact, holding the reins, you just can't see it in the photo. his arm just disappears behind the horse's face. his elbow does need help (i agree 100%!!). i'll be sure to fix that, too!
thanks, all of you for the help!!!

lorna12
05-18-2003, 04:51 AM
What a nice thing to do! As echidna said, you get Karma points for sure.

What struck me is, the bony protrusion above the horse's left (ours) eye...seems too deep or at the wrong angle or something and on the right it doesn't stick out at all. I'm just going by the photo as I really don't know horse anatomy well.

I see what you mean that the photo is kinda washed out, but if you widen the jockey's mouth (as was mentioned) I think it will look good. When you darken your darks it will look like he's in strong sunlight, so you wouldn't see a lot of facial detail.

Hope that helps.

RachelG*
05-18-2003, 11:15 AM
Thanks, Lorna! looking at it, i see what you mean about that bone. i've always had a hard time with horses' faces. i think i'll try toning it down a bit, or maybe looking at some anatomy pics somewhere...thanks!!!!:)

Axl
05-18-2003, 01:45 PM
hehe yes he is dropping his shoulders, but they are still attatched evenly on either side of his neck, even as you can see in your ref. Lowering the right shoulder a little will fix this, as you can see in this demonstration. Also, rounding out the elbow a bit wouldnt hurt. happy drawing!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2003/7231-jokieshoulders.jpg

RachelG*
05-18-2003, 02:14 PM
Thanks a bunch for putting that together for me, Axl! i see what you're saying, and i wil be sure to fix it!! thanks again!!!!!!!:) :)