PDA

View Full Version : Your very Own Gallery.... Exhibition ..... good idea????

Dark_Shades
05-16-2003, 09:43 AM
........ I just had an idea...... which I thought was good, dont know what others think......

...... but seeing Guilly posting he's works the other day in one thread just made me think..... of other conversations about exhibitions and galleries..... and of newbies coming in whom havent seen others prior works .......

we could all start our own Individual Exhibition/Gallery Threads ...... and post all your own works into that you have done whilst in WC and any future favourite ones..... keeps them all in one place :) ..... others would be able to see all your works, even if they were in a different medium, or forum even, that would normally go un noticed - you could put in text or links to the original works..... make it as complex or as simple as you like

...... anyone else think its a good/bad idea?

...... would be nice for anyone who hasnt got a website yet :)

Smudger
05-16-2003, 09:50 AM
Great Idea!!! maybe we could all start a thread in the The WC! Gallery http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=73

BTDogMom
05-16-2003, 10:21 AM
That's a BRILLIANT idea DS!!! I wonder if we could start a new forum of sorts that has each member listed & as u finish a piece u can just add it 2 your "gallery". Is that sort of what u r thinking - either way I LOVE the idea - makes it much easier 2 look up folk's work :D :D :D:clap: :clap: :clap:

E-J
05-16-2003, 10:24 AM
Good idea, Dawn ... who's going first? LOL :D

Smudger
05-16-2003, 10:38 AM
I wonder if we could start a new forum of sorts that has each member listed & as u finish a piece u can just add it 2 your "gallery".

That would be cool... are we allowed to start a new forum?

soap
05-16-2003, 10:56 AM
Great idea! I thought the same seeing all Guilly's work together. There are some of us who have exhibitions but no websites.....Zilloot I can remember for one. It is so nice to see all the work together.
Good idea.....but.....most needed for those with no website!

The forum is a good idea........otherwise just a sticky on our forum or so??

Oh, I am looking forward to seeing so many of your stuff, guys!! To remember when it was posted the first time, the trouble or joy you had when you did it.......It IS a great idea!!

Kathryn Wilson
05-16-2003, 11:37 AM
I think it's a great idea - I've been thinking along the same lines - was looking for a place to put my finished pieces. Do we need to post a message in the forum for Scott to look at to say Yay or Nay? We might have to limit the number each person has . . . or archive somehow. Would each of us who wants to do a gallery be willing to "subscribe" to WC to get your own gallery?

Just some thoughts -

Kathryn Wilson
05-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Another thought - I've often wanted more information from the artist when I view their pastel paintings - such as size, paper, pastels used, where did you get your inspiration (photo or plein aire) - I think it would help us all learn more about technique and thought processes. Why did you pick the paper, color theme, etc.

I know that's alot, but you could recommend having this info with each submission??

:cat:

guilliame
05-16-2003, 12:41 PM
DS,this is a very good idea,i had a lot of fun putting my african series together,it has been something i have wanted to do for some time and would like to thank everyone for their kind comments.
Now i am really looking forward to seeing other peoples series,i'm sure there is loads of interesting subjects to see.
Lets hope we can do it in whatever format but DS forget about complex i need something real eezzee:D

bnoonan
05-16-2003, 12:47 PM
I'm cheering along with the rest of them. Let's hear what Scott recommends or jump on in there.

Absolutely great idea! Barb

Luzie
05-16-2003, 01:09 PM
I always thought the private gallery is what the "my refrence pics" thing is when you click one ones profile?

Dark_Shades
05-16-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Luzie
I always thought the private gallery is what the "my refrence pics" thing is when you click one ones profile?

well lol Luzie...... you can sift through my 3765 current postings if you like :)

Dark_Shades
05-16-2003, 01:14 PM
...... ooops ....... make that 3766 ........ no, 3767 .... lolol

Kathryn Wilson
05-16-2003, 01:21 PM
I wonder if we can utilize the space being used now for "My Reference Photos" and have it re-named "My Gallery"?

Dark_Shades
05-16-2003, 01:33 PM
hey....... looks like a good idea ..... yeahhh

..... well I dont know if it has to be a new forum...... nothing to stop anyone from starting a new thread in the Pastel Forum individually ....... they will drop out of the listing when the artist doesnt add to them

I typed a bit of reply and then thought about it some more.......

really it only needs to be a visual gallery ....... as all the original information would be in the first posting ..... so to save time and effort and keeping it simple :) ...... anyone who wants further information on the work should look through the artists profile (as Luzie said) and find it through there, otherwise really you are just duplicating everything ..... if they want to comment on it, on the original link thats fine....... be interesting to see some old threads resurrected

Mind you I do think that photo sizes should be kept to a minimum .... something like 368 pixels..... may be smaller..... or pages would take forever to load

but hey, its all open...... just a thought and suggestion

...... its was just an idea of seeing an artists works all in one place without having to hunt down all their threads and postings

ohhhh and you could always add the link to the viusal gallery in the signature part of your comments

Dark_Shades
05-16-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by kyle
I wonder if we can utilize the space being used now for "My Reference Photos" and have it re-named "My Gallery"?

Funnily enough Kyle..... when Ive been looking through the ref library, Ive come across peoples paintings :confused: ...... thought why on earth have they put them here, these are for people to work from ..... but there is I think a personal album ..... dont suppose there is anything stopping you adding paintings in there rather than photos

Dark_Shades
05-16-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by guilliame
DS,this is a very good idea,i had a lot of fun putting my african series together,it has been something i have wanted to do for some time and would like to thank everyone for their kind comments.
Now i am really looking forward to seeing other peoples series,i'm sure there is loads of interesting subjects to see.
Lets hope we can do it in whatever format but DS forget about complex i need something real eezzee:D

I really enjoyed seeing your works Guilly, and it was such a lovely surprise to find some I hadnt seen before

Dark_Shades
05-16-2003, 01:50 PM
I think it's a great idea - I've been thinking along the same lines - was looking for a place to put my finished pieces. Do we need to post a message in the forum for Scott to look at to say Yay or Nay? We might have to limit the number each person has . . . or archive somehow. Would each of us who wants to do a gallery be willing to "subscribe" to WC to get your own gallery?

Just some thoughts -

Another thought - I've often wanted more information from the artist when I view their pastel paintings - such as size, paper, pastels used, where did you get your inspiration (photo or plein aire) - I think it would help us all learn more about technique and thought processes. Why did you pick the paper, color theme, etc.

I know that's alot, but you could recommend having this info with each submission??

:cat:

Kyle .... Im not talking gallery as in webspace in WC, just a visual gallery as in a thread..... as we are doing here now ..... there is no limit as far as I am aware of the postings,sizes,photos, within a thread.

If you want to subscribe to WC please do, ..... I keep meaning to myself ....... its such a great place, also this at our finger tips, and all for free!!!

..... as for more information on as to why, and what the artist used, all the thoughts and feelings and WIP's will be in the original link that you can search for through their profile and the bottom of everyones postings....... would be better in some ways, as you get their thoughts at feelings at the time they were painting it

Dark_Shades
05-16-2003, 01:53 PM
..... doesnt have to be every single painting...... there may be some in here lurking, we'd all rather forget about ha ha ha

...... as said...... its all individual, and upto the person themselves what they want to do ...... its was just based on being able to view a single artists work in one place

Simple!!! ;) :D

Dark_Shades
05-16-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by BTDogMom
each member listed & as u finish a piece u can just add it 2 your "gallery". Is that sort of what u r thinking - either way I LOVE the idea - makes it much easier 2 look up folk's work :D :D :D:clap: :clap: :clap:

thats what I was thinking BT ........ yup

Dark_Shades
05-16-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by soap
Great idea! I thought the same seeing all Guilly's work together. There are some of us who have exhibitions but no websites.....Zilloot I can remember for one. It is so nice to see all the work together.
Good idea.....but.....most needed for those with no website!

The forum is a good idea........otherwise just a sticky on our forum or so??

Oh, I am looking forward to seeing so many of your stuff, guys!! To remember when it was posted the first time, the trouble or joy you had when you did it.......It IS a great idea!!

I know Mo has an out of date website...... shes waiting for her daughter to work on it ....... and this is something Mo could do herself .... she says she a computer nerd :)

Smudger
05-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Wow Dawn... i can see the smoke from the Eastend...:D

so are we saying we all start our own "Exhibition" thread in the pastel forum where we post our pics and links to the original thread... what if the pic is another medium? does it really matter... sounds good to me

llis
05-16-2003, 03:01 PM
Hold off a bit and let me see what Scott can come up with to help. We've talked a bit along these lines once before and Scott was really wanting everyone to purchase gallery space to help support the site.

After saying that, he might consider making a special place for everyone to use just to store images with a bit of information like the reference image library does. Don't know.

You are right about the possibility of some creating personal threads to hold images, but it might get cluttered with thoughts from others. Actually the WC! Gallery is the place just to put your images for show... but I understand what everyone is saying and think Scott might be receptive to a new idea or two. :)

Kathryn Wilson
05-16-2003, 03:12 PM
Now, this is just my own personal opinion, for I know times are hard with everyone, but I PERSONALLY would not mind paying a yearly fee to have a "gallery" posted on this site. We have our own domain and I could post my gallery there, but I think I would get more looks on WC than out in space somewhere. Believe me, I takes some work to keep up a web site and it costs money for web space, much less a site like this. I'm not a subscriber yet, but I am seeing the benefits of WC every day.

Don't flame me - ahhhhh

:angel:

Dark_Shades
05-16-2003, 03:14 PM
Ok ..... np llis :)

will see what Scott has to say .........

it has potential to bring in even more members........

and I did try and promote subscribing to WC :D .... but not as such in the webspace

..... the idea is not to comment on..... they can do that from the original works thread..... just to list and show paintings of all mediums in one place

...... anways I will ssssssh now :D

Dark_Shades
05-16-2003, 03:27 PM
Now, this is just my own personal opinion, for I know times are hard with everyone, but I PERSONALLY would not mind paying a yearly fee to have a "gallery" posted on this site. We have our own domain and I could post my gallery there, but I think I would get more looks on WC than out in space somewhere. Believe me, I takes some work to keep up a web site and it costs money for web space, much less a site like this. I'm not a subscriber yet, but I am seeing the benefits of WC every day.

Don't flame me - ahhhhh

:angel:

honest........ I did try to sshhhhhh ..... honest I did :angel: :evil:

I have nothing against subscribing to WC, infact have been meaning to for sometime ........ but the idea wasnt about webspace or having a website ....... it was just an idea about showing some of your works in a thread all in one place .... nothing more nothing less...... only in the token as you would show a new painting

I personally dont need a website or space as I have one already, which happens to be free....... but ........ I would like to subscribe to WC in some way...... purely for the fact that it is FREE, and the encouragement, concept, knowledge, information is totally envaluable....etc ..... it needs to be kept going and supported .... so thanks Kyle for reminding me

.... this is the link if you want to subscribe

http://www.wetcanvas.com/subscribe/

.... hey having re read the link again :) ........ you can just make payments towards WC in itself.... in a thank you :) .... or to have a webspace

whoppee dooo dah :clap:

Ive just been and paid :D

sundiver
05-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Julie and I both have WC websites now; hers is up and running, mine just has some images, as I'm waiting (have been for several months) for the step-by-step instructions to be published.
It doesn't cost much, and I want to support WC, although it's frustrating that I don't know how to do the stuff and the site has been sitting there useless. The blurb said "no experience needed"...... they didn't know about me! I don't understand any of it. Anything on that site has been put there by my daughter, who learned a bit about it in school.
I guess what I'm saying is that if it gets more user-friendly it would be a good way to support WC. (Even though you still don't get the checkmark, so I guess it doesn't "count" as support).

llis
05-16-2003, 04:05 PM
I think this idea is a wonderful idea. Many folks really don't need a full fledged website right now, but would like to have a place to display their work.

I've asked Scott to look at this thread and glean what he could from all the ideas. I'm sure if there is anyway he can do this, he will. I also asked him that if it was possible to make the display gallery for display only so that it wouldn't get clogged with comments. I also asked if it was possible to make this clickable from our profiles or maybe make a button like the www button at the bottom of all our individual posts.

Good idea, Dawn ....and their is certainly nothing wrong with trying new things. Scott never wants to make anyone think they "must" subscribe to the site, but he sure appreciates the extra help to keep the site running. He does realize that many of us are students or have limited resources.... I do too. (Been there, done that.... I can remember well just searching the house for fifty cents! Those times were tough. ) :)

llis
05-16-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by sundiver
Julie and I both have WC websites now; hers is up and running, mine just has some images, as I'm waiting (have been for several months) for the step-by-step instructions to be published.
It doesn't cost much, and I want to support WC, although it's frustrating that I don't know how to do the stuff and the site has been sitting there useless. The blurb said "no experience needed"...... they didn't know about me! I don't understand any of it. Anything on that site has been put there by my daughter, who learned a bit about it in school.
I guess what I'm saying is that if it gets more user-friendly it would be a good way to support WC. (Even though you still don't get the checkmark, so I guess it doesn't "count" as support).

Whatever you need help with, I'll be more than happy to help. My time is a little tight right now, but if you will leave me a message in the Web Hosting forum, I'll get you going. Once you do it a time or two, you will be helping others too. It's just like learning to work that darn vcr. Scary stuff... right? lol

Kathryn Wilson
05-16-2003, 04:31 PM
I just reviewed the web hosting criteria and it looks great - but I am not quite ready for that yet. I do think it is well worth it and at $4.99 a really good deal. I think something a little less complicated would be ideal for newbies like myself who do not have a big body work work to have on a web site.

pampe
05-16-2003, 04:59 PM
I have a WC! website and for $5 US a month, you cannot beat the price.....

will wait to hear fom scott

Dark_Shades
05-16-2003, 05:04 PM
..... yup thats the point about not being a website/space.... as some find all the tech involved to difficult!!! ........ everyone in here knows how to use the uploader...... well lol most do, ha ha ha.... some still get it wrong ;)

... but as simplistic as that ..... just uploading your paintings to one place...... perhaps thats something Scott could think about...... some where people can upload maybe 50 or less images.... not sure what the bit size would be.... perhaps could regulate a size..... perhaps if people wanted that and for a small fee...... could be like one of those car parks

....... Pay n Display lololol

and $4.99 is a VERY VERY good price........

Wendy, are your troubles regarding not knowing html etc.... not knowing what the webspace etc is like here

...... I know enough to make my own site .... if its in regards to that so feel free to pm, I might be able to help ...... also there is a very very good site www.webmonkey.com regarding making websites from the very humble beginner onwards, and other links to if you search on the web

pampe
05-16-2003, 05:21 PM
you don't have to "make your own site"

you can just upload your photos there and people can access them

When you have web space, you can use it for storage

BTDogMom
05-16-2003, 08:07 PM
I also asked him that if it was possible to make the display gallery for display only so that it wouldn't get clogged with comments. I also asked if it was possible to make this clickable from our profiles or maybe make a button like the www button at the bottom of all our individual posts.

THIS WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mo.
05-16-2003, 08:19 PM
Dawn, your idea is an excellent one, Kudos to you for a brill idea...

Okay I already have a website, as you say outdated, simply because I don't have the knowledge that is required to revamp it and upload new images and delete old ones..even though I have Dreamweaver... which I think you need a degree in computer technology to understand the darn thing, I have a spattering of knowledge of HTML, but when it comes to advanced programming like Javascript and the other one? CSIG something or other, well I'm lost... years ago when I first joined WC, that was around 2000(heehee only about 2,000 members ar less then) I did have a web site with Artist Nation which was linked to WC, then I had a big computer crash and was without a computer for a while, so had to rejoin WC when I had my new computer in 2001.

That web space was very basic, but it was a start, needless to say, my daughter did it all for me.... Yeah I'm a nerd when it comes to this sort of thing.

The problem with having webspace or a website within an art community is that only fellow artists will view your work, so if you are trying to promote sales of your work, then your prospective buyers will just be other artists..food for thought here.

What about paintings that were done whilst being a member of WC, but never posted here ...would that be ligit?

Subscribing to WC is a great idea too, something I've really not considered...don't ask me why, it just never came to mind, but it's something I can certainly do with pleasure.:)

Look forward to seeing how this develops

Luzie
05-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Dark_Shades,
I did not mean "threads you started" when you click on profile, I meant that section that says: "reference pics", does anybody know what it is meant for?

Redsy333
05-16-2003, 10:40 PM
My my my busy lil mind you have lately DS, LOL I cn tell shes been burning up some brain cells on this!!!!
Excellent Idea! :D

Luzie...the ref. button on your profile...is the pics that you personally have placed in the Refrence library!
....I think....lol ;)
btw....nice to meet ya! Ive been M.I.A. lately...lol but cant wait to be back!!

Kudos DS!!

Ivyleaf
05-16-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Luzie

Originally posted by Dark_Shades
Funnily enough Kyle..... when Ive been looking through the ref library, Ive come across peoples paintings :confused: ...... thought why on earth have they put them here, these are for people to work from ..... but there is I think a personal album ..... dont suppose there is anything stopping you adding paintings in there rather than photos

Hello everyone :)

For those of you who don't know me, I'm the Reference Image Librarian here at WC!. I will try to answer your questions about the library, as it's the place on WC! that's my job to help keep neat & organized.

A great place to start is by reviewing the FAQ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/faq.html) , the Contribution Guidelines (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/contribute.html) and this helpful article: WC! Reference Image Library (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2123/257).

Now I to summarize a bit ;) .

The "my reference pics" link on each member's profile will take you to the reference photographs that they have uploaded into the reference library. Note that the Reference Image Library is the place to put reference photographs for other members to use. It is not the place for your artwork . That is what the forums, and if you'd like, the webpages are for. The library is here for all of us to build a database of copyright-free photographs for all of us, as members of WC!, to use to create our own works of art.

The thing that's stopping you from uploading paintings in there are the library guidelines, and yes me. Any photograph that is found to be in violation of our library guidelines will be removed, and that is where I step in. Now, since there's currently almost 14,000 photographs in the library, I do rely on WC! members to keep me informed if they see something they don't feel should be in the library. (A PM (private message) is the fastest way to get ahold of me, as my email is not totally reliable...simply copy the link and PM me the link with your question about the photo). Please anytime you wonder why a photo is in the library, get ahold of me. The library is growing at a tremendous rate, and hard as I try, I can't say that I've actually seen every single photo in the library. LOL.

I'm also the person to contact if you think our library needs a change, or a new category created, or if you're having problems uploading...etc.

We are constantly updating the library, adding new categories and organizing to help make it more user friendly.

I do hope this has answered some of your questions about the library, and if you need clarification on anything, please feel free to send me a PM!

:) :) :) Okay enough about the library...

Now, if you want to find someone's images here on WC!, you can if they have used the attachment feature to upload with (the image attachment feature found below where you post a new message, as opposed to the image uploader seen at the top of the page): Attachment Locater Service (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/browse_attach.php)

This thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20874&highlight=attachments) will tell you a little bit more about how the attachment locater feature came into being on WC!

Try it out and see if this is something like what you are searching for, it sounds a lot like what you would like to see. It's very handy, and one good reason to use the attach feature when uploading your artwork to share.

Hope this helps!

:) :) :)
Ivyleaf
WC! Reference Image Librarian & all around WC! geek ;)

soap
05-17-2003, 01:44 AM
I think we really need to distinguish between a place where we can put some reference paintings for others to see more about us (sort of as part of our profile) and a webspace, which can often serve wider purposes.
Just keep it simple! Some images as part of our profile, a little mini-gallery with some highlights of your work. No comments possible on it, no extra stuff, just for us members to realise who you are and what you do. Compare it to the 2002 pastel retrospective which was a thread some months ago. It was really nice to see people's work together like that, and to remember some great paintings they'd done in the past.

Mo, if my website is anything to go by: I don't know Javascript or CGI scrips, and I am doing fine with my website. You don't need it, just some HTML.......

Dark_Shades
05-17-2003, 03:16 PM
Ohhhhhhh eck, Im causing a bit of a stink!! arent I lolol

apologises! :D

..... should be safe soon, as Redsy said..... Ive used up the couple of brain cells I had ha ha ha

Dark_Shades
05-17-2003, 03:24 PM
'...... er whose nicked me flag :eek: :crying:

E-J
05-17-2003, 03:41 PM
[Please ignore this post!! My following post came up twice.]

E-J
05-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by sundiver
Julie and I both have WC websites now; hers is up and running, mine just has some images, as I'm waiting (have been for several months) for the step-by-step instructions to be published. It doesn't cost much, and I want to support WC, although it's frustrating that I don't know how to do the stuff and the site has been sitting there useless. The blurb said "no experience needed"...... they didn't know about me! I don't understand any of it. Anything on that site has been put there by my daughter, who learned a bit about it in school.

I have already subscribed to WetCanvas and am happy to do that as and when I have the money. I did purchase some WC webspace a couple of months ago but it's sitting there empty, as there's just not enough guidance for me to know how to go about using it ... and I work with web products! LOL

I do, however, have a Yahoo account, which is completely free and includes space for uploading photos: if you click on the www button under my posts, that's where you are taken. I use it as a repository for paintings I've done that I want to show my friends.

MarciaJane
05-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Count me in!!! GREAT idea. :)

Marcia

Dark_Shades
05-26-2003, 06:48 AM
just been surfing around, and came across this

..... great minds think alike :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1232764#post1232764

Mikki Petersen
05-26-2003, 11:38 PM
I also love this idea. I'm not clever enough for a website, but it would be great to have a place friends and family could check to see my work. Also, even though I don't have one, I'm always excited to look at the websites of members who list them. It's such fun to see a body of work from someone. Also, some of us work in different mediums or post to different forums and others of us are pretty much loyal to Pastels. It would be so nice to have a place to look at the variety of work a person has achieved.

As ususal, Dawn, you have come up with a super idea!

BTDogMom
05-27-2003, 11:53 AM
Also, even though I don't have one, I'm always excited to look at the websites of members who list them. It's such fun to see a body of work from someone. Also, some of us work in different mediums or post to different forums and others of us are pretty much loyal to Pastels. It would be so nice to have a place to look at the variety of work a person has achieved. I agree 100% - very well put :D