PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Stroll

coffee_girl3000
05-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Painted on 1/4 sheet of Saunders Waterford 140lb CP. Took maybe 2 or 2 1/2 hours, used hairdryer as was glazing and am so impatient. I did a motherwash, probably my most successful yet. Didn't use that many colours - New Gamboge everywhere, lots of Burnt Umber, some Perm Rose and Vermillion, and a touch of Ult. Blue and Indigo.

I don't like painting landscapes much, but I love skies. So I am fairly happy. Comments and critiques always welcome and appreciated.

Based on this reference photo from Cal's Gallery (http://www.calsgallery.com).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/12307-sunset7.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/12307-sunsetstroll.jpg

imahappy
05-16-2003, 07:43 AM
You should be happy, nice job. I really like your interpretation of the reference photo. When I paint I have a hard time not sticking closely to photo and wish I was like you in your daring. You have created a whole new beautiful place.

CharM
05-16-2003, 08:09 AM
Very nice interpretation of the ref!!! I like the way you've portrayed your figures on the beach... kind of a romantic moment... I like your sky, but IMHO think it still needs a little darker punch...

Phillip
05-16-2003, 08:19 AM
Very nice painting

Looks like our sunsets we get here.

Had a great sunset yesterday, wish I had my camera with me.

Uschi
05-16-2003, 09:04 AM
Lovely Sarah!!! Reminds me of when I was camping in upper state New York, sitting at 6 a.m. watching the sun come up.

By the way, if you enjoy painting skies vs. landscape, there is an artist (I think fairly well known, except of course I never remember names) who paints almost all skies and the landscape is a veery small part at the very bottom of the paper, lilke one tenth. You might want to try that.
Uschi

vestalqueen
05-16-2003, 09:10 AM
Uschi, I believe you may be talking about Eric Sloane. He was famous for his sky murals. Coffee, you may want to check out some of his work.

Very pretty rendering - I can feel the warmth here!

Erin

surreal
05-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Lovely painting!

M.A.
05-16-2003, 11:20 AM
Sarah, this is beautiful, peaceful.

hopefulbucky
05-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Sarah, beautiful painting. :cool:

I agree I love the way that you transformed a photo into something entirely new. I also agree it is a very romantic setting.

Just gotta love the beach!:D :D

jkook
05-16-2003, 11:46 AM
Nice painting Sarah. So a romantic at heart ? By the way you little gremlin:evil: I went to Cals place and spent my whole morning !!!!!heheh Anyone wanting inspiration to paint ? This is the place.
Thanks Coffee girl.
Jim:D

Egon
05-16-2003, 12:13 PM
I like it too - but ( yes Im a pest) look the sun is nearly at the horizont so please stetch the shadows a little and make the two darker - I think it will improve it .

Ps .: we have still snow in the mountains - like skiing ?

Flattwo
05-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Hi Sarah

The Sun emits a beautiful golden glow of approval to the young mans question...yes she replies... it says we shall be together..always..they sigh together in harmony...life is good... who can be without love?

Nice painting

Flattwo