PDA

View Full Version : The Dancer

artinoils
05-16-2003, 02:52 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-16-2003/7970_dancer.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-16-2003/7970_dancerdetail.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Dancer
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Three sessions with model who, even though she approved the pose, found it painful.
My intention was to use greys and browns except for the model.
Photo is grainy, done indoors...since we're due to get a big storm over next day it's the best I could get.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
what do you think about this? Does it evoke any feeling? Critique please.

Wayne Gaudon
05-16-2003, 07:09 AM
coloring, rendering, perspective .. all great .. not sure about the hook .. the head, leg, and box form a good triangle but once I get to the box I have alot of trouble getting back ..if some low longated item pointing to the head were on the box then you would have a better hook .. what do you think .. feels to me now that I am led down an alley with no option of turning back.

jerryW
05-16-2003, 10:35 AM
a strong organic center unfolds purposefully and elegantly in a soft atmosperic universe, and she is definitely an accomplished dancer as well.
the space and surface supports
the marks suggest with accuracy

Gilberte
05-16-2003, 03:24 PM
I feel ... concentration, meditation, yoga ...

pampe
05-16-2003, 05:54 PM
You have a great way of making line and angle seem personal and right

I love the legs and her neck and all the striated muscles holding the pose

Very nicely done

and the light on her chest is wonderful

feeling? yes, from awe to quietude

Pam

mattlart
05-16-2003, 07:47 PM
...Lovely,..Sue.
There's VERY LITTLE to really 'critique' here,..;..seems like more of a "congratulations" is in order...:)

One suggestion that I find appealing:
Cropping perhaps 3 inches from the top of the painting could very well make it much more powerful.
It seems as the top section is unnecesary and actually,....detracts from the overall. What do you think?.....:) NICE job-S

Wayne Gaudon
05-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Scott .. wonderful solution .. that keeps you in the room and within the triangle.

coulter
05-16-2003, 08:48 PM
A very strong subject, and an equally strong painting that echoes that strength.

Mark

pero lane
05-17-2003, 05:47 PM
Well done! I would also suggest cropping off the top....everything else is perfect!

capricorne
05-18-2003, 08:16 AM
I like this very very much, reminds me on Edgar Degas.
Congratulations
Jan

woodguy
05-18-2003, 05:02 PM
Susan...This is wonderfully soft and quiet! I really like your palette in this one. Jim

angelmakerla
05-19-2003, 03:02 PM
You are encrouching on Hopper's territory...GOOD FOR YOU!

I love your sensibility for your subject. The posture, the concentration. I can almost hear the music playing in the background.

I LOVE IT!

giniaad
05-19-2003, 09:13 PM
(agree with the cropping idea)

love the lighting and fleshtones
meditative quality
(disiplined model)

very nice!

Alan Cross
05-20-2003, 02:06 AM
agree about the croping but I love the tones in that dress...also very nice pose
Alan :)

artinoils
05-20-2003, 03:13 AM
Wayne, I actually added the box about halfway through...my intent was to keep you from leaving along the diagonal.

jerry:D

gilberte, that's more the model than ballet.

pam, the angles are what attracted to this viewpoint in the room.:D

scott, thank you. Been thinking about the crop idea...initially thought it was a good idea. After computer alteration not so sure. I think it changes the perspective bringing her up to eye level rather than the viewer standing and looking downward.

mark, in my computer crop I added more hair ...wondering if it weakens or strengthens?

pero, thank you.

Jan, degas synonomous with ballet;)

Jim, been watching yours.

Angel, wow! Glad you liked this.

giniaad, the model was fidgiting due to painful pose.

alan, the dress was done quickly and left alone.

Here's what it would look like cropped and with a bit of hair added: