PDA

View Full Version : ~*Daily Wash ~ Friday May 16*~

Nandie
05-16-2003, 01:12 AM
TGIF!!! Well, it's almost Friday for me. Two hours to go.;)

Those of you who haven't gone to bed yet might like a little Bedtime Story (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107243&pagenumber=2) to help you sleep.... just another story that evolved along with my WIP, which I think is finished! I'm still taking critiques though, so maybe it isn't finished! LOL!:o

On a more serious note, my buddy Alana (Huckaday) has been quite ill recently - three days ago she was rushed to the hospital in excruciating pain and they thought she may have a kidney stone at first, but then said it was probably just back pain. So they sent her home with anti-inflammatories and pain killers. But yesterday she saw her own doctor and he still thinks it may be a kidney problem, and ordered more tests. Still no word on what it is, but today she's been in bed all day, really sick and in lots of pain. :crying: :crying: Hoping tomorrow will bring some positive news for her. So please keep her in your thoughts and prayers... she did manage to upload her latest painting onto a thread here yesterday, but that was a huge effort for her.

(((hugs))) to all who aren't doing well and AWAYTC!

Olga
05-16-2003, 02:25 AM
Hello Andrea and everybody,

(((((Alana))))) Sending good thoughts your way
Hope they figure out quickly what is wrong with Alana and that she feels better soon. Bad enough to be sick--but then not to know what is wrong in addition...

I had a good figure/portrait class yesterday--we did a two-hour pencil drawing of an interesting looking model. I really liked having the time to develop something. The 5 or 10 minute poses are always so rushed.
There will be no time to paint for a while for me, but for once I am not complaining about it: a good friend is coming for the weekend, it's my daughter's birthday tomorrow (and she is having a sleepover with 4 14-year old girls...hmmmm... I guess the thing is to pop the video in, close the door and ignore the giggling till they drop off to sleep...).

After that, in the middle of next week we are going for a short vacation in Venice. I can't wait. We are staying with friends, too, so it should be a more "natural" experience than the usual tourist thing we did before. I promise to take lots of photos for the library. I finally got a big card for my camera so I can take more than a few picutures before having to download.

But before all this nice stuff--I better get going to work.

Hope AWAYTC will have a watercolory day

Olga

rks
05-16-2003, 03:15 AM
((((Alana)))) Get well soon.

Andrea, you are a kind and thoughtful friend.

Olga, good luck with the teenagers and have a safe and fun trip.

I'm feeling a tad sorry for myself because I have to spend the next two days cleaning house. Of course, this is to make up for days of neglect while I was painting, attending workshops, going to the framers, planning my next painting, posting on WC, etc. Does all this sound familiar to you? Nice to be among folks who understand these things.

Happy painting.

Roberta

Yorky
05-16-2003, 03:33 AM
Morning all!

((((Alana, Sharon and all others under the weather)))) get well soon.

Going off to Southport now to meet Geof and also my sister Jean who posted her first painting last year. She has no PC, but I expect good things of her this weekend:D

Cool, drizzly day here with little prospect of any sun. That means well be wearing sunglasses this afternoon! :D

Taking my sketch book, travel paint box and brush to S'port may do some figure sketching from the cafe window.

Cheers!

Doug

Nitsa
05-16-2003, 03:34 AM
*Thinking of Alana*

I cannot wait to get back from my school run this morning and continue with my Madge painting.
Last week was full of framing, pricing and a huge lack of inspiration for painting....I'm so pleased to be able to say that this week has been plentiful where inspiration is concerned..I've managed an average of a painting a day and have soooo enjoyed it!...Hope it stays with me for a while!

I recognise that "Housework neglect" syndrome LOL!...Managed to wash and polish all my floors yesterday tho', so fortunately I have right up until early noon to paint (That's when my friend is visiting)

Have an inspiring day all!

madmum
05-16-2003, 03:57 AM
Morning washers!

(((((((((((((((((Alana)))))))))))))))))) Healing thoughts winging their way to Canada.

((((((((((((((Sharon))))))))))))))

Doug, have a great time in Southport! (Slightly optimistic about the sunglasses, me thinks! lol) Don't go out of your way looking for the paint pots :)

I'm confused, what's housework again? :confused: Seriously have to do some of that before family rebel :eek:

Been looking online for suppliers of cheap mounts/frames, I really need to start thinking of painting more standard size work. So far I just paint to the paper size!

Raining here and I have to walk neighbours dog :rolleyes: I HATE mornings like this :(

Hugs

Ruth

M.A.
05-16-2003, 04:39 AM
(((hugs))) for Huckaday and everyone else.

Andrea - if I were trying to sleep and read your bedtime story, it would wake me right up and inspire me to paint. It's beautiful and the thread is very interesting.

Olga - sounds like a *best* friend if you don't mind not painting when she visits, I know you'll have fun. Nice to hear about your portrait class. Do we get to see some of the results? Have fun in Venice! Send postcards. :)

Roberta - funny how that housework builds up when you're in the groove of painting :D (I have that t-shirt too).

Doug - sounds like you have a wonderful day lined up!

Nitsa - a painting-a-day ... excellent!!!

Ruth - the day will get better. (((morning hugs for you)))

Fookie - you mentioned yesterday that you did a portrait of Marvin, why don't you start a new thread, even if the project hasn't begun. I'm eager to see it! (The project has been submitted, you can do a search in the project section, it'll show up although until it gets through the que, its considered inactive, go figure).

I agree with Andrea, TGIF!!! Plus, my new paint and paper arrived from currys.com yesterday, I really enjoyed the sale and started playing with my paint last night ... fun, fun, fun!

Happy watercolor day everyone!!!

artmom
05-16-2003, 05:07 AM
(((To all who need or want them)))

Good morning, all!

Hope this day brings us better weather--we had another round of tornadoes, hail, wind, rain, lightning, in our neck of the woods yesterday. The worst passed just to the north and to the south of us, but my son and granddaughter were caught in some pretty fierce hail and rain before arriving home safely.

I finished a painting I've been working on and plan to post it this morning. It's a little different for me. So, now I'm trying to decide what to tackle next.

Hope today brings whatever will please you!

coffee_girl3000
05-16-2003, 05:29 AM
Yeah, TGIF! Here I sit at half past ten, haven't even had breakfast yet. WC is just too addictive.

((((((((Alana and Andrea)))))))) Praying that Alana feels better ASAP. I hope that the doctors can figure out what is wrong. And Nandie, you are such a good friend, this must be a great strain. So hugs for you too. I just read your story, it was very touching, and saw the painting. Forgot to check up on your WIP after the first few stages, so the end result was a lovely surprise.

Happy birthday to your daughter for tomorrow Olga. Have a great time in Venice (would love to go there), be inspired, paint some pictures.

Lyn, stay safe. The weather must be pretty frightening. Here we are just having greyness and rain, not very dangerous.

I should really go eat something, I'm peckish. Will be back in here later no doubt! :D

jaytee
05-16-2003, 06:28 AM
Its cold its wet................. but at least the dozens of dancing plants are getting well watered............ yes its the one tree = move 20 plants syndrome again !!

Was here for 2 hours last night............. only managed 2 Washes a couple of polls and a couple of threadsand one project before deciding to turn in at 2.00am..... then found myself cutting hair and showering :eek: Bed at 3.00am

It sems the right sort of day to wrap some good vibes in a big hug and send it out in all directions..............

(((((((((((((((GOOD VIBES))))))))))))))))))))

M.A.
05-16-2003, 06:33 AM
Marvin's portrai project was just approved.
Here's the link:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=431

See you later, I'm on my way to work!

mpopinz
05-16-2003, 06:44 AM
Good Morning Everyone!

Sounds like a very close-knit group here, I hope I'm not imposing! (LOL).

But, I'm so excited!!! Toledo Art Museum (a very fine place I might add) has had the works of Vincent Van Gogh on display since February, and I'm going to finally get there today to see them!!!

I understand the our museum will be the only one in the USA to host this collection. I feel very honored. (if this is incorrect, please let me know!)

Be well everyone, have a creative day :-)

jaytee
05-16-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by mpopinz
Sounds like a very close-knit group here, I hope I'm not imposing! (LOL).

Iris.............. welcome to the wash............ posting immediately gives you full membership of this all inclusive group :D :D

Enjoy VIncent !

P.S. I have accidentally demystified US time zones !!! Try

http://www.time.gov/

CharM
05-16-2003, 07:09 AM
Good morning Washuns...

It's raining here again... I will say that everything is certainly green... The perennials in my garden that need to be moved or divided are getting big and it will soon be too late to disturb them... Every year the garden has a new challenge... I think that at least half the rose shrubs around my birdbath were winterkilled... I'll have to replace them because they are so beautiful and bloom all summer...

TMR

{{{hugs and good thoughts}}} to all who need them - and those who don't, too!!!

To those who're painting, shopping, cleaning, vacationing... enjoy!!

Have a great day everyone!

mpopinz
05-16-2003, 07:32 AM
Thanks Jaytee!

Char, good luck with your roses. You must post a photo of your garden for us, it sounds wonderful.

Again, have a creative day and a wonderful weekend. I'll be back tonight with my review of the exhibit.

artijan
05-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Good morning everyone although itís nearly midnight here and I should be asleep. Does anyone else have problems sleeping during the full moon? Iím soooo tired but Iíve also been inspired to paint lately so that canít be a bad thing.

Hope you all have a creative day and all those under the weather soon improve. Itís been a lovely sunny day in New Zealand. Good night.

Jan

Strawberry Wine
05-16-2003, 08:09 AM
Good Day Washers:

Iris, Welcome to the Wash. This daily thread gives everyone the opportunity to get to know all the water colour people better. An opportunity to telll all about what your day is going to be like, what it was like, sharing photos, bragging, boasting, crying, whatever friends would like to share with each other. So join in and you will soon get to know us all.

Andrea: Your storytelling is amazing. Keep at it girl. You are good!!!!!

Char: Keep an eye on the bottoms of those roses. I thought I had lost many to winter kill as well and now most are showing sprouts right above the soil level. Instead of 5 or 6 I thought were toast I now only have one that is showing no signs of life.

It is cool and rainy here and I was hoping that I would get some planting done today but I guess I will have to paint (sigh) LOL

AWAYTC have a great Friday and to everyone already on board here have a creative day.

Gail

Phillip
05-16-2003, 08:15 AM
been a while since I peaked my nose in the washes, so thought I should peak my nose in now & say hello to all

Like your bedtime story Nandie, it's almost bedtime for me, so should get a good sleep tonight.

sisangel
05-16-2003, 08:22 AM
Good Morning Washers

My thoughts and prayers are with Alana. I hope the doctors can find out what is work. Uncertainty is tough to handle.

Olga - Have a great time in Venice. Please post pictures to RIL when you get back.

Iris - Welcome to the daily wash. It's a wonderful way to start and end the day.

Hugs to everyone ((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))

I'm still on borrowed computer. I am having a new one built for me now. It should be done on Tues or Wednesday, so I will try to get lots of painting done. No housework until next week, that can wait. LOL

Bonnie ;)

jaytee
05-16-2003, 08:29 AM
HELP NEEDED PLEASE from USA

Could someone tell me what a 'Checking Account ' is............. I'm guessing its a bank account............. but need to know to organise WC badge payments........

TA

CharM
05-16-2003, 08:34 AM
LOL... A chequing account JT... It's a bank account that allows you to write a certain number of cheques on it per month without fees or with minimal fees per cheque...:D :D A savings account, on the other hand must have withdrawals made at the bank or ATM (automatic teller machine)...

Suggest you ask for Money Orders only... Cheques, generally, need some amount of time to clear...

jaytee
05-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Char, thanks............. is it the usual sort of account in the US and do most folk have one? Im thinking of using paypal for this operation.............otherwise the cost of exchange on cheques (money orders too I guess) would be too great............ and they say anyone with a checking account can pay via paypal . It also amkes it easy for me to pass on excess sums to Scott at WC!:)

CharM
05-16-2003, 09:04 AM
...most people in U.S. and Canada have chequing accounts. However, regardless of payment, exchange will have to be calculated at some point, as you know... There is a "fee" for purchasing a money order, you're absolutely right... We made one EBay purchase using Paypal and it was easily done...

matingara
05-16-2003, 09:19 AM
A Check account is a Cheque account. Alot of people in the US pay for EVERYTHING using Checks. They will go to the drug store and pay for candy and soda with a check. The argument is that it keeps a better audit trail of your outgoings.

But with EFTPOS and Internet Banking these days they keep just as good an audit trail IMHO.

I confuse people in Australia all the time because I talk about "Cancelled checks". They think these are naughty and equate them with "bounced checks" i think.

Anyway, I had one painting sold to the USA recently and the buyer paid by check. It took about a MONTH for the funds to hit my bank after deposit.

I would insist on Paypal or Paymate. They have worked very well for me.

:)

Joel.

matingara
05-16-2003, 09:24 AM
Oops I forgot to tell about the possums tonight.

We have a band of friendly possums that come over for Supper every night. For those of you who have never seen an Australian possum - imagine squirrel colored guys, the size of LARGE CATS swinging through the trees in nocturnal bliss.

They usually eat bread and old apples - but sometimes we give them bananas as a treat.

Well, I was handing up a banana chunk to one guy tonight and he missed the banana and got my right thumb with his claws - and he actually broke the skin!!! (No rabies in Australia BTW).

The coach considered putting me on the 15-day Painting DL. But I think I will paint injured.

:)

Joel.

Little Old Lady
05-16-2003, 09:30 AM
Good whatever all.
Good vibes to all.
Lovely brunch for volunteers at Nursing Home yesterday. It is amazing how many people are willing to give of themselves to make life better for others. My centerpieces were a hit.
I don't call it housework but have to clear a couple of paths to get through my living room (studio, workshop etc.)
Memorial service this afternoon for a painting friend. She just didn't get up one morning. She was 85. Lovely lady.
Hope things go well for all of you today.
JoAnn

Uschi
05-16-2003, 09:39 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!!!
Already way TMR, but wishing speedy recovery to all those who are ailing!!!! and hugs!!!

Olkga - Venice!!!!! Finally made it there 2 years ago and didn't realize at the time how lucky I was because it was beautiful and sunny.

Char - I was in shock too, roses died right down to about 12" which is how high I piled earth around them in the fall. Was a very cold winter.

Doug, WOW, looks like you are healed!!! Good for you and lucky you!!! Have a good trip!

Planted my boarder plants yesterday morning then the sun turned to rain. Grass needs cutting but couldn't get to it in time. Also too wet and windy to sit outside and paint tulips, but managed to take some photos and will do it this way.

I must have had a brain switch, because I am almost cheering when it is raining because it means I have time for painting.

Have a great day everyone!
Uschi

artmom
05-16-2003, 09:55 AM
Joel--our Tennessee 'possums aren't quite THAT big, but they scare the heck out of folk who have never seen them--they think they are really HUGE rats!!!! LOL Plus, we don't feed 'em--we DO have rabies here.

Jaytee--I use PayPal all the time for online purchases. It works great!!!!

(((To All)))

pampe
05-16-2003, 10:42 AM
Happy Friday, fellow addicts

Iris...you are very fortunate! Vincent is my favorite artist. When I saw his IRISES in the Boston MFA, I wept!

JT...checking account is a bank account from which you can write paper checks to people for purchases. DO NOT TAKE CHECKS...use MO, wire transfers or PAYPAL. Only way to go is PAYPAL...it's insant and secure....but consdier the charges before you price your item.

Olga..I am so jealous...I would go to Venice once a month if I could just for the color infusion into my soul!

Have a great weekend, everyone

Off to the pool to SUCK CHLORINE

Pamps

mustcreate
05-16-2003, 10:56 AM
happy Friday!!

yippee!! a long weekend :)

gray and threatening to rain today

I am determined to paint ALL day today. :)

I keep looking at my 1500 photos I took on my Arizona ~ New Mexico trip and cannot decide what I want to paint first and end up not printing out any for reference. someday soon I will just have to commit to an image and just paint it. :p

have a creative weekend

em

babybrush
05-16-2003, 11:11 AM
i'm having a similar problem Em. too many references and not enough time. just finished another portrait for the Portrait project but have yet to upload it.

hope everyone has a great and productive day.

BTW Jaytee, what was so confusing about our time zones? :evil: ;)

Christie
05-16-2003, 11:15 AM
Morning all!

It is cool and somewhat cloudy today. I am looking forward to working outside this weekend and to getting some painting done.

I am in the process of putting together some field painting fits for my kids. They have their own Cotman field kits, watercolour paper (cut from the large sheets), sketch pads, pens, pencils etc. All in a box that is small enough for the five year old to carry in her knapsack without a problem. We may give them a try this weekend, if it warms up a bit.

Today I am working and next week, there is an extra afternoon being added on to my work schedule, so the will be less painting, but more money for paints. :D

JoAnn, we were at a funeral just last weekend. It was a real celebration of the man's life. I hope that your friend's memorial service is the same.

I hope all who are dealing with difficulties (health or otherwise) will be feeling better tomorrow.

Okay, I am off to look productive. :)

take care all.

mchew
05-16-2003, 11:49 AM
Hi guys,

First day at the mural painting... didn't start until 2pm in the afternoon... the wall (plywood board) wasn't ready yet in the morning. The contractors are behind schedule and so am I. I was given 4-5 days to work on it but now, I only have 2.5 days, which means I'll have to paint it over the weekend.

I came home and look at the pic and find that the building looks funny... I think I need to extend its height downwards a bit... there's been some changes to the last sketch I showed you before... the building is now on the left and on the right are plants like aloe vera, cactus, palms with pointy leaves to make it more "Mexican".

Here's what I've done today... just the underpainting and some little details. I need to extend the foot of the building to make it longer tomorrow as the window was narrower than I expected. Anyway, still a lot of work to be done... there's another part next to this windows and I haven't started that one yet... :eek:

FYI, I didn't paint the window... it's a concave wall specially made for the store.... it measures around 70cm x 110cm (sorry don't know what's the equivalent in ft and inch)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/14541-Day1.1.jpg

artmom
05-16-2003, 11:55 AM
Looks like a good beginning, Marvin!:D

jaytee
05-16-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by babybrush

BTW Jaytee, what was so confusing about our time zones? :evil: ;)

I dont know what day of the week it is without consulting the wash ( hate people who only put the date :D) so Pacific time meant not a teensy weensy thing to me..... but that site I refered to shows a pic of the whole world and where its dark and where light ( it says sunshie, but thats a lie today :D) which changes regularly so I can tell whose meant to be asleep where :D :D

PS Goodnewss me.. brain leaky as a seive.... meant to say

thanks for all advice re-paypal........ will stick with that I think...... have you ordered YOUR WC! badge yet :D ;)

Good start on mural Marvin ..........

lyn lynch
05-16-2003, 01:37 PM
;) I thinkin' we need a east of the Pond and west of the Pond Wash.

{Huckaday} So many of us are way too familiar w/pain and suffering. Perhaps that is why we turn to art.

MA, thanks for thinking of me, but I wait until the Project is announced. I did the work in anticipation of it. The regular forum moving in warp speed and I don't want to put a Project piece on it. I'm in to hurry to post my Marvin. :D

A heartfelt welcome to Iris, such a pretty name.

Enjoying JoAnne's "path blazing" story, we know what is important in life! I managed to finally put away the accummulation of clean and folded laundry, and "anticipate" cleaning of some floors. Most of this house unused so basically just dusting is in order. Today I am going to call for a cleaning lady--she how much she charge to maintain the floors--that is all I require, I can do the rest.

Yesterday managed to hem both dresses for me...big accomplishment for she who hates the sewing machine. Today I vow to get at least the sleeves in [correctly] on baby dress--probably be too small by the time I get it done.

JoAnne, book I bought is Charles Reid "Painting Portraits in Watercolor".

Decided to frame Pamps Fookie Eyes work in an offbeat way. Inserted into 5x7 matt horizontally with 2"mat showing on one side and 4" showing on the other. I like different. LOL, makes interestingly-done portrait even more interesting.

{Pamps}, hey! whatever works. Pamps sucks down Chlorine and I use Ocean nasal spray for allergy--my son says "Mom snorts salt water".

Looks fabulous Marvin!! Pointy things are EXACT... Please take no offense...DON"T overdo this...especially now that your time is shortened. Lovely look to the buildings. In Mexico SUN IS SO BRIGHT ALL SHADING, ETC. IN SUN DIRECT PATH IS NULL--NO SHADING IN DIRECT SUN--SUN HOTTER THAN HE%% AND WIPES OUT SHADOWS. PLEASE Marvin, for unofficial president of Marvin Chew Fan Club.

Whew! That passionate plea, right? Have a good day or good night. Auntie.

pampe
05-16-2003, 02:52 PM
It makes me smile to come back in here and see what I have missed during swimming (sucking chlorine, fooks) and stopping at the grocery store, the bank, the Health food store and the library...

whew, half the day is gone, and I have not picked up a brush or stick of pastel for 3 days!

EM.....play 52 pick up with those photos.....close your eyes and pick one

I was lucky enough to receive a photo of one of my sold paintings framed and on the wall....thanks to tessp for this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/4054-8692-sunflowers_framed.jpg

You don't often see them once they leave home, so this is a treat!~

Marvin...good start

fooks.....Shirley McCline used to pour salt water up her nose and down her throat every morning...says that's what allowed her to sing and look so good for so long;)

P

bswilson1147
05-16-2003, 03:26 PM
This was taken today at the site of our new office building.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/14485-betty.jpg

Enjoy!
Betty:D

Flattwo
05-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Hi Everyone

Just got back form a overnight trip to the North East fo England, went to see Bamburgh and Lindisfarne Castles, wonderful sites..took many reference pics here are too to view

This is Bamburgh close up

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/3457-Bamburgh_Castle_close_up.jpg

This is Lindisfarne Castle with upturned boat in foreground which is used as a store

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/3457-Lindisfarne_and_upside_down_boat.jpg

Regards

Flattwo

painterbear
05-16-2003, 05:09 PM
Good evening all,

It is only 5:00 pm Ohio time on Friday, but I'm sure it is probably Saturday in some areas of the WC world already.

TMRI but will say to Marvin that your mural is off to a good start. I like the window setting (saves you time not having to paint that part in). Listen to Fookie re shadows, she knows whereof she speaks.

Henry, Your castle photos are great, especially like the first one. That's a formidible approach if you were an invader looking to take the castle.

Olga, Have a fabulous time with your friend and a wonderful stay in Venice. Hope the weather will be nice for you.

Trying to paint Al's daisy photo for the Challenge. Notice the word "trying" there. I'm at that ugly stage of a painting where you feel like tearing it to shreds, but I will keep going because I know that the darks are what will make a big difference. (A little bird told me that. ;) )

Alanya and anyone else who is ailing or feeling peckish, please take care of yourselves and get well soon.

To all others, have a good night. See you in the morning, it's time for me to shut down the old Mac and go to the kitchen to cook dinner.

madmum
05-16-2003, 05:18 PM
Now I'm confused, what is the meaning of "peckish" in US? In UK it means hungry!

Ruth

CharM
05-16-2003, 06:18 PM
...out of sorts

Yorky
05-16-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Uschi
Good Morning Everyone!!!!
Doug, WOW, looks like you are healed!!! Good for you and lucky you!!! Have a good trip!

Uschi

'Fraid not, Uschi, I got sciatica back again, Monday it was almost gone then Tuesday I twisted in my chair and got it back again :(

Going to be a slow job at this rate.:rolleyes:

Doug

coffee_girl3000
05-16-2003, 06:43 PM
20 minutes til tomorrow here. So thought I'd say good night. I just got a PM from Edith, and it turns out shes lives in Gateshead, just over the river from Newcastle. I once did a search but nobody was from my city. So happy to find a nearby member :).

Henry, I think we should look forward to some beautiful paintings of Bamburgh and Lindisfarne, yes? This summer I really need to go to Lindisfarne, it's been years since I visited. Such a nice place. And Bamburgh...well only been there once, long time (at least for me) ago.

Peckish here - hungry. I'm not ill, don't worry :).

(((Doug))) haven't we been saying take care? Please be careful, no more twisting and turning ;). Hope that you can get rid of it.

Bonne nuit tout le monde :angel: :cat: