PDA

View Full Version : horse

Bill J
05-15-2003, 10:53 PM
here is a horse in oils that I've been trying to finish for ages. I still have a problem with the right eye and right ear. The pic is on a pine board which I stained to dark befor starting. Sorry for the fash reflection from the camera. I would like to do a WC of this with just a plain white backround. comments

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/21423-HORSE1.JPG

bill

Rod
05-15-2003, 11:39 PM
Look forward to seeing the progress with your watercolour.

Don't think a white background would be suitable, a suggestion of distant background foliage etc would be better ,

Rod.

artmom
05-16-2003, 04:36 AM
I'd like to see a watercolor of this!

M.A.
05-16-2003, 04:55 AM
Bill, this is beautiful. You've done fantastic work with this!!! I think the right eye looks fine but can see what you mean about the right ear. If the left side of the right ear were a tad wider would that solve the problem? Or would that mess up the forelock? In anyevent, it is still a wonderful painting and I probably wouldn't have noticed anything if you hadn't pointed it out.

I hope you do this in watercolor as well. You could start with a white background and see if that suits you then add a wash or landscape if it seems suitable to you.

CharM
05-16-2003, 08:13 AM
Bill... would like to see you do a wc of this... I'm curious... do you have a preference in mediums? I have done oil, acrylic and now wc... I find wc to be the most challenging and rewarding...

p.s. I too think a suggestion of background would suit this beautiful horse!!!!

Bill J
05-16-2003, 10:41 AM
thanks for the comments rod, mary-ann and char

Char my favorite is wc with out a doubt. Oils are a pain and take too long and you can always scrape and start over--transparent wc you only have a couple of chances so you think a lot more before applying the brush. I think I've found my medium in WC

Bill

MarciaJane
05-16-2003, 11:08 AM
Bill i think you have done a really good job on this one!!
I like it very much. :)

Marcia

Drumbeat-trish
05-16-2003, 11:48 PM
Hey Bill -this is lovely !!!!! I couldn't paint a horse to save myself -n any medium :) Agree the background is a bit dark -but white would seem too stark??? Like the idea of the wood behind though -maybe if you went for a really light wood - like aged pine or something -um I have no idea what I'm talking about -but you know how wood turns almost a silvery grey over time -type thing???
The ear and eye look fine to me -nothing noticeable. Something about that highlit bit above the bridle that bothers me though - somehow makes the nose (or whatever that long bit is called ) look slightly bent - but like I said I know absolutely NOTHING about horses. Its a lovely pic and YES do it in wc's - look forward to seeing it :D Would like to see more of your work in oils too :cat:

taghera
05-17-2003, 12:07 AM
Bill....I think the background is toooo much the colour of the horse....I would go for a better contrast...:)

Bill J
05-17-2003, 05:51 AM
Hugh I agree that the backround is too dark. I stained it before I started to save TIME [LOL] Now I will probably mask the horse and try to bleach the backround-leassoned-never do the backround first!

Trish-Thanks for your comments-for the present I'm going to stick with W C, having a lot of fun learning this fascinating medium and getting tons of help from the group here at wc.

Line
05-17-2003, 06:17 AM
Wow, lovely! :D I don't know what you should do about the background, though.

flower
05-17-2003, 05:17 PM
Hi Bill,

I think your horse is beautiful agree with the idea of foliage in the background, something a little different from the colour of the horse, it would make the horse more outstanding than it already is, wish you luck with the watercolour