PDA

View Full Version : James- I screwed it up!!!

zornlover
05-15-2003, 09:42 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-15-2003/13517_photo.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-15-2003/13517_ptg.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: James- I screwed it up!!!
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Aaargh! I tried to fix the eye- I could see it was off and I got carried away!!!!

I'm supposed to deliver it Sunday!!! I told her it was finished! I'm kinda freaking out. The paint feels sticky- I sprayed it with retouch before painting, but now it feels sticky- better wait til tomorrow to paint on it even if it is down to the wire. I guess I could call her and make some excuse....

I posted the photo this time

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
you can see the original painting before I screwed it up under the post James...

Please, any help would be well received!!!

Wayne Gaudon
05-15-2003, 10:10 PM
Don't panic .. it's not a big fix .. you just need to let it cure (dry) .. if she has to wait a day it's not a big deal .. I'm sure she would rather have it proper than lame. Put your feet up and relax .. be confident .. you are a good artist and this will fall into place for you.

simon levenson
05-15-2003, 11:22 PM
Go slow, breath deep, and get a good nights sleep. This is a matter of getting the contrast right not the colors or the drawing. Don't worry.

jerryW
05-16-2003, 10:44 AM
now you are mental,
soon you will be having fun again
this is fun da mental
the only way to go.

mattlart
05-16-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Wayne Gaudon
Don't panic .. it's not a big fix .. you just need to let it cure (dry) .. if she has to wait a day it's not a big deal .. I'm sure she would rather have it proper than lame. Put your feet up and relax .. be confident .. you are a good artist and this will fall into place for you.

EXACTLY. Great Advice! Smart Wayne. Talented Zornlover.
BTW,- Having not seen the original post;..I can tell you that this version actually looks fine to me.
In addition,..I think that Simon is absolutely right-on in his observation: A TOUCH more contrast in the eye,..and you'll have it. Nice work. Bravo.

pero lane
05-16-2003, 01:25 PM
You,ve done a wonderful job capturing a remarkable likeness! Even with the very small correction left to do ..it's great! Just relax!

zornlover
05-16-2003, 02:06 PM
whew! I have a long night ahead of me. I am going to take you guys' advice. Slow down, breathe deep (definitely mental)

Please send all your good vibes my way, I'll be burning the midnight oil. If I can't get it tonite, I'll call her and make up some excuse...

I'll let ya'll know how it comes out!

Thanks for all the support, its nice to not have to freak out all by yourself.:D

artinoils
05-16-2003, 02:27 PM
You'll do fine...your painting skills are excellent...judging from this piece.

djstar
05-19-2003, 02:02 AM
I know, this is the middle thread but I see a really daring but simple solution:
Paint that upstage eyeball in your darkest dark. The shadow of the nose DOES blend into it. You are trying to see something that you really CAN'T see. You are trying to make that, which is not brown, look brown. It LOOKS darker, it IS darker.
Turn it upside down and pretend it and the photo are bowls of fruit and you will see exactly the color to use.
My 2c.
dj*

angelmakerla
05-19-2003, 02:54 PM
Don't take your errors to heart!

If the area is getting too thick, sand it down and start over. It is a lovely image. Make sure you feather it out after you sand it down.

Nothing is irreparable!