PDA

View Full Version : Not poppies but another fish painting

Turtle33
05-15-2003, 07:52 PM
hi everyone

i was going to paint poppies because i got some great pictures of them today but i decided to do another fish painting. it was help from inspiration from Doug who showed me a cool website today :D thank yo Doug!!!

the title of this painting is "First Date" because of the two fish swimming together and the other chaperone fish swimming the other way pretending not to be watching :p

the background was done by a wash, very wet. i used aliz crimson, ultramarine, cerulean blue and lemon yellow. i mixed a lot of colors too and just played with it.

comments and critiques apperciated!
Thanks
Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/16927-First_Date.jpg

babybrush
05-15-2003, 07:56 PM
HOW CUTE this will be great

Bethany

Turtle33
05-15-2003, 07:58 PM
thanks Bethany:D i think this will be fun but i hope it won't turn out bad like the lionfish did :rolleyes:
Sarah

CharM
05-15-2003, 08:03 PM
Excuse Me? What exactly do you mean it won't turn out bad like the lionfish did? You're too young to have menopausal moments, so it must just be a lapse of some kind... I recall thinking the Lionfish was fantastic!

This is also going to be fantastic...

Turtle33
05-15-2003, 08:13 PM
hi CharM:D
it is funny but you might not have seen the second attempt of the lionfish i did...it is still behind my floor screen :rolleyes:
the first lion fish is a good painting. i hope that it gets in to the PA watercolor society.

i have more news, some good, some bad. i got an e-mail notice that i "finsihed the competition as a finalist for the National Alliance for excellence" scholarship. i wasn't sure what that meant so my mom e-mailed them and they said it meant i won't "advance any further". i lost that one :crying:
some good news is that i visited my college and one of my fine art professors. he is a watercolor artist himself and was really impressed with my work. he is advancing my classes and i am starting in his junior year college class!!! he also advanced me to drawing 2 so that is good news
:clap:
i will know after June 30th if i got in to the PA watercolor society show. i am really hoping i will!

Sarah

artmom
05-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Good news--good:D

Bad news--:mad:

Poppies--:( --you promised me poppies!!

Fishies--:)

artijan
05-16-2003, 12:17 AM
You do such lovely backgrounds, Sarah. The fish will be just great as usual too.

Jan

PS Poppies would ge good....

lyn lynch
05-16-2003, 02:32 AM
Hey, Little Turtle,
To end up as a "finalist" is still good fodder for the resume so be sure to add it. Certainly not as good as the award winner, but excellent to be in the finalist category; doubtless many, many were rejected before attaining "finalist" range.

Have a good feel for the PA society...we'll know soon enough.

Like the title for this work, title says much about the ability of the artist, imo. You do so well w/fish, your playful side blossoms.

Sher
05-16-2003, 02:51 AM
If these are as good as the guppies, I can't wait!!!!!

M.A.
05-16-2003, 04:48 AM
Eager to see this develop.

Turtle33
05-16-2003, 06:42 AM
thanks fun! i got more of the background done...i will post it later tonight.
i was kind of upset i didn't get that scholarship, Auntie. i was hoping i would. i can still try again next year though!
my fingers are crossed about the watercolor society but i am not sure because i think the painting i used, Traffic Jam was too whimsical for them? thanks for hoping with me :)
fish are just so much fun to paint!!!
thanks Jan! i will take a fish break and paint poppies after this painting :)
i promise to paint poppies soon Lyn :D

Sarah

Phillip
05-16-2003, 08:34 AM
Hi Turtle33.

I can't believe I almost missed this one.

Looking great.

Good luck for the PA watercolor society show

yahooserious
05-16-2003, 12:29 PM
Sarah, surely the title wouldn't be the make or break portion of your Traffic Jam painting for the watercolor society!! Will they offer their critique if accepted or rejected? It would certainly be helpful if they do.

Looking forward to more of these young fish and their chaperone...

Emilie

Yorky
05-16-2003, 02:23 PM
Going to be good, Sarah - go to the top of the class!

Doug

prairie painter
05-16-2003, 02:33 PM
gawgeous background. Make everybody happy- put a poppy in the boy fishies fin to give to his fishie gal:D

els
05-16-2003, 03:17 PM
Hey Sarah, this is looking great so far...

Turtle33
05-16-2003, 04:06 PM
thanks Els :)
thanks Praire :p somehow, i don't think a poppy under water is going to work?
thanks Doug :)
hi Emilie :) i don't think the title will affect getting in to the watercolor society. i think the painting itself might. it isn't what i usually see on the watercolor sites.
i am going to start the fishies tonight
:)
thanks Philip!
here is an update of the painting. i used some WN neutral tint for the darks and to make the color more subtle. i want the focus to be on the fish. i also tried some Holbein Irodori Antique bronze blue. i painted the water effect again. i hope it looks ok?

Sarah
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/16927-First_Date_001.jpg

madmum
05-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Such a beautiful background!!!!!!!! Sure to be another success, Sarah!

Ruth

Turtle33
05-16-2003, 04:36 PM
thanks Ruth :D
i am still not sure i like the ripples :confused:

bluesrbest
05-16-2003, 04:37 PM
I like what you're doing with your backgrounds, Sarah, and I love watching your fishies take shape. More, please! Good luck on the wc society and congrats to stepping to the head of the class with your instructor! He sees what we see = talent!
______
Rhonda
:cat:

Turtle33
05-16-2003, 04:39 PM
thanks Rhonda :)
i will start painting the fish later tonight :)
thanks for the compliment! i hope i get in to the watercolor society!

Sarah

prairie painter
05-16-2003, 04:57 PM
VERY high on the wow-o-meter! On to the fish! (oooh, aren't we all a bunch of voyeurs, watching fish on a date:o ):D