PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Maitland Art Center.......

tigre255
05-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Well I'm totally out of my comfort zone......so I'm going to do this as a WIP hoping for some help from you guys and gals.......
And I must appoligize to Alan Cross for putting this in his thread by accident......I guess I'm just stress out over doing this painting right........:rolleyes:

It's a 18" x 24" 300lbs. arches wcp, hopefully if i don't screw it up will be for the "Postcards fro Paradise" exhibit at the art center.....

Here's the ref photo from my files.......
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/3748-Maitland-Art-Center-025.jpg
And here are the two steps that I've completed......
Still have lots of work to do and the one wall that I've already painted is not done yet.....so I'm open to suggestions as to where to go from here..........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/3748-maitlandartcenter_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/3748-maitlandartcenter_2.jpg

M.A.
05-15-2003, 06:13 PM
Hi Barb, I caught the beginning of this thread in Alan's thread. Gave me a good laugh. So easy to do!!! I glad you posted this thread here and am very interested in seeing this one. I've got popcorn and I know how fast you paint. Eager for more. Will be interesting.

tigre255
05-15-2003, 06:18 PM
Thanks......LOL yeah had Rod delete the other.........:rolleyes:

This one may be the death of me.........:rolleyes:

But thanks for the encouragement............;)

Nandie
05-15-2003, 06:50 PM
This looks like a real challenge with all that intricate detail but it's already looking great!

babybrush
05-15-2003, 06:55 PM
way to go!! am rooting for you. looks wonderful

Bethany

mhimeswc
05-15-2003, 06:58 PM
What a terrific wall! This is going to be a fun subject for you to paint. Just take your time. It's going to be great, I can tell.

Michelle

tigre255
05-15-2003, 07:03 PM
Thank you Nandie, Bethany, and Michelle for your vote of confident........need all I can get......lol

taghera
05-15-2003, 07:10 PM
Do you think you'll have it finished before I grow a beard that trips me??????..hehehe..:D :D :D :evil: :evil:

mustcreate
05-15-2003, 07:15 PM
when I saw this in the Reference Library I thought "good composition....would make a good painting!"

looking good so far Barb

psst go more intense in the sky!! ;)

em

tigre255
05-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Thanks Em.......will do that....

Taghera.........thanks for looking as for commenting........BM.......:D :D :evil: :evil:

CharM
05-15-2003, 07:35 PM
This will be a good challenge Barb... Just take your time with it... impatience will be your undoing here because of all the intricate details! I really like the initial washes and look forward to your progress!

Alan Cross
05-15-2003, 07:37 PM
LOL not a problem Barb...you can join into my threads any time you want! Great start on this one....
Alan :)

tigre255
05-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Thank you Char, and Alan......for looking in and commenting....

And Alan, thanks but I think I'll try and keep my head straite and stay in my own threads.......:D :angel:

tigre255
05-15-2003, 07:52 PM
OK Em.......lol here another step with the sky more intense....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/3748-maitlandartcenter_4.jpg

Little Old Lady
05-15-2003, 07:58 PM
Looking good to me. I know you can do it justice!.
JoAnn

artmom
05-15-2003, 09:00 PM
Barb, this is looking very good! Take all the time you need--but hurry up and finish it!:evil:

lyn lynch
05-15-2003, 09:18 PM
Challanging reference, and a perfect one to show skills for the composition. Are you masking anything, or taking care? I hope you leave enough negative space in the trees. Love the softness of the right-hand wall.

LOL, Alan, wish I could have seen your face. LOL, must'a thought you were getting old timer's disease.

tigre255
05-15-2003, 09:37 PM
Thanks JoAnn, Lyn, and fookie for looking and commenting......

will do Lyn.......hehehehe:evil:

fookie.....I'm taking care......and am leaving enough neg space in trees, just doesn't show to well on computer......lol

And it was my face you should have seen with that blunder of mine.......:rolleyes: couldn't beleive i did that..........

Uschi
05-15-2003, 09:57 PM
Barb, this is going to be such a beautiful painting, already has a wonderful beginning.
Uschi

tigre255
05-15-2003, 10:01 PM
Oh how I hope your right Uschi.......lol it's for a competition, that is if I don't mess it up.........lol

But thank you for you encouraging words.......will keep them in mine.......

;)

tigre255
05-15-2003, 11:12 PM
Here is the last step for tonight......going to bed soon so I thought I would go ahead and upload this to see if anyone has any suggestions for me by morning.......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/3748-maitlandartcenter_6.jpg

madmum
05-16-2003, 04:16 AM
WOW you are brave!!!!!!

I'm liking the purple wall alot - would like some of that colour in the shadow cast by the tree. I think you could still go stronger for the large area of sky, at the moment it is much lighter than the sky we see through the wall holes.

Keep going :D

Ruth

tigre255
05-16-2003, 06:05 AM
Thanks Ruth......your right about the sky.....

And not brave, I'm thinking the words "what in the world am I thinking" comes to mind.......:rolleyes:

coffee_girl3000
05-16-2003, 06:10 AM
Great so far Barb! Do intensify the sky, will give a sunny day atmosphere. And the shadows on the white walls should all be same colour IMO.

Just a question, all your paintings seem to have a yellowish tinge on the unpainted paper. Do you use tinted paper or is it just the light in the photo? Perhaps my imagination :cool:.

Good luck!

tigre255
05-16-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by coffee_girl3000
Great so far Barb! Do intensify the sky, will give a sunny day atmosphere. And the shadows on the white walls should all be same colour IMO.

Just a question, all your paintings seem to have a yellowish tinge on the unpainted paper. Do you use tinted paper or is it just the light in the photo? Perhaps my imagination :cool:.

Good luck!

Thanks Sarah for looking and commenting.....the yellowish tinge is taking the picture at night under lights......the paper is really white.....and I will add more to sky and do the shadows the same colour as the other wall .........appreciate the critique......I really am out of my comfort zone with this one......lol

painterbear
05-16-2003, 07:05 AM
Barb,

This is a terrific reference photo that you shot the other day. This decorative wall has to be one of the key architectural features of the Center so it is a good choice as subject.

You are doing great with the painting so far. I like the way you are bringing the cut-out cross shape out as focal point.

Look forward to watching the finale.

tigre255
05-16-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by painterbear
Barb,

This is a terrific reference photo that you shot the other day. This decorative wall has to be one of the key architectural features of the Center so it is a good choice as subject.

You are doing great with the painting so far. I like the way you are bringing the cut-out cross shape out as focal point.

Look forward to watching the finale.

Thanks Sylvia......the Maitland Art Center is such a beautiful place....it has several beautifully architectural features. It was really hard to chose......The Center was originally built to house up-coming artist, to give them a place to live cheaply so that they could concentrate on their art......Not sure but still think there are resident artist living there.......

Phillip
05-16-2003, 08:29 AM
Looking great so far Barb.

Looking forward to seeing it finnished.

tigre255
05-16-2003, 10:07 AM
Thank you Phillip for looking and commenting......much appreciated

matingara
05-16-2003, 10:23 AM
This is beautiful. Surely it is almost done. Please don't fuss with it much more. The light and luminescence are stunning now. Let the foreground be at harmony "luminescence-wise" with the background!

:)

Joel.

tigre255
05-16-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by matingara
This is beautiful. Surely it is almost done. Please don't fuss with it much more. The light and luminescence are stunning now. Let the foreground be at harmony "luminescence-wise" with the background!

:)

Joel.

Joel you are too kind.....lol but thank you.;) Still have a little more to do to it then it's done. Am also redoing it again a little differently because I'm not to happy with this one....started all wrong.....but will continue with this one and finish it and compare it with the other that I'm starting.....to choose which one is best for the exhibition at the Center........

els
05-16-2003, 12:10 PM
Looking very good Barb...

Annetta
05-16-2003, 12:57 PM
WOW!! Such detail!! Barb, this is absolutely wonderful!! Loving the colors!! :clap: :clap:

Gilberte
05-16-2003, 01:20 PM
My goodness Barb ... you're so courageous and ... with success !

lyn lynch
05-16-2003, 02:04 PM
Barb, I don't understand why the purple wall has so much purple color. I can see small washes of high value for interest, but not as much as you are showing.
And the green tree behind the sculpture wall I am thinking higher value as now it looks like smack against the sculpture--I want that tree to be further away from the wall--less defining in form also.
The sky behind the sculpture wall also higher value and less consistent. Because it is so dark in there forces you to go darker in the sky itself. I like the value of the sky itself as it is.
The litle foreground tree needs a bit more lost and found and lighter brush of the twiggy bits. As is it is too formidable and in my mind is creating an unwanted focal point. Less definition on the foilage bits, too. Tree cast shadow great.
Doorway to center is great, especially where it hits retaining wall. Need nothing more to define retaining wall.
Sculpture doorway. Needs a bit of a washback in the sculpture areas and just a touchdown of dark to show a FEW recess areas.
This beautiful reference, barb, keep truckin'

tigre255
05-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Thanks guys, but already redid this one. Easier than trying to fix......:rolleyes:

new one (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1209897#post1209897)