PDA

View Full Version : Be CarefulóDon't Pick This Flower!

painterbear
05-15-2003, 01:27 PM
This is my rendition of a lovely photo in the RIL by Fookie of the blooming cactus in her backyard. I changed her wall to a mountain range. LOL!

This is painted on 140 LB. Canson coldpressed paper, mix of student and artist grade paints and gouache (for the thorns). It is 5"x7" in size.

Comments and critiques are invited and welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/9833-cactusflowerfookie.gif

Joni St. Martin
05-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Nice one Sylvia! Very nice colors.
I love to see the cactus blooming. Their flowers are so beautiful.

Regards,

Joni

tigre255
05-15-2003, 02:14 PM
OH nice one Sylvia.......love how the flower is rendered.......

Gilberte
05-15-2003, 02:16 PM
f o r m i d a b l e ...

Nandie
05-15-2003, 02:18 PM
Wonderful Sylvia.... you've caught the bright light and shadows perfectly on this!!:clap:

artmom
05-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Wow, really like how you rendered the thorns!

Lady Carol
05-15-2003, 02:51 PM
Fabulous detail. This almost looks like an acrylic.

al22
05-15-2003, 03:03 PM
You really nailed those Sonoran 'bloomers'.........nice job......
.....al

jkook
05-15-2003, 03:36 PM
Very nice , Sylvia. Looks like it would prick your finger if you touched it. Great detail.
Jim

painterbear
05-15-2003, 04:07 PM
Thank you all for your comments, they are appreciated mightily, Joni, Jim, Al, Carol, and Lyn

Barb, I resisted the urge to not paint every line in the flower for once. :rolleyes:

Andrea, Those shadows are what drew me to this photo (as well as the wonderful cactus shapes and the lovely flower).

Gilberte, Merci beaucoup!

M.A.
05-15-2003, 04:32 PM
Beautiful!

bluesrbest
05-15-2003, 04:59 PM
Sylvia, your brush had to be dancing when you painted this because you've captured the light dancing across the cactus and flower! Beautiful!
______
Rhonda
:cat:

mhimeswc
05-15-2003, 05:03 PM
Good job on a great little painting. I like the mountain you put behind it too. You should consider making a larger version of this.

Michelle

Uschi
05-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Beautiful flower and beautifully rendered Sylvia!!! How on warth does one plant or transplant one of these babies????
Uschi

lyn lynch
05-15-2003, 05:13 PM
Gob-Smacked, Sylvia! This is your granddaughter's SW painting!!
Did a wonderful job on this old guy, he's about 20 years old and the ^&*% rabbits keep nibbling off the tender shoots that he sends in order to spread himself. This snap was of my spring bloom, he just finished another season and had so many flowers he dern near looked white. I give my cacti water during the summer; they get perfect sun and flower generally 4 times per year now. Jim, they do not "prick" your finger, they "enbed" your finger. You painted the flower correctly, Sylvia, it nearly blends into itself. The outer tips have that red-brown color but the sun blows it out, as you have shown. The cactus itself is painted very well. The mountain range is terrific; incidentially, I can see the tops of the white tank mountains above the retaining wall so it was good instinctual stuff on your part. LOL. Glad you got to use this. Thanks. Auntie.

[edit] Uschi, you hire a greenhouse; they wrap it in rubber hosing and support it while they backfill the hole, then they remove the hoses. If you are a DIY, you get many, several, strong backs and a length of thick carpeting to encircle the beast. For small ones I dig them w/my spade and plop them in. Then give them a drink and dirt and pick out the spines. Itty bitty spines hurt like Jeebus, but only for a few minutes. For medium sized ones you roll lengths of newpaper to make a "sling" thick enough and long enough to encircle the plant and enough to grasp together, then you take it to the whole and while one holds the newpaper sling, the other puts the mulch and water. Let go the newprint and don't look back. I take you to cactus nursery.

Olga
05-15-2003, 05:17 PM
WOW!

Just look at that sunshine! This is just terrific--the composition, the flower, the cactus, the shadows and the purple mountains in the back.

Hope you will paint this bigger as well...

Olga

artijan
05-15-2003, 06:41 PM
Very beautiful sunshiney cactus and flower. Yes, I agree a bigger version is in order but this one is just lovely, Sylvia.

Jan

yahooserious
05-15-2003, 06:49 PM
Beautiful job, Sylvia, I love cactus flowers, and yours is so well done...There is a cactus nursery on the west side of Austin and I think I'll go by pretty soon...

Emilie

VeldaJ
05-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Lovely picture, Sylvia. I agree - it would convert beautifully into a larger version. The flower has a lovely soft *feel* about it against the firmer composition of the cactus. Well Done.

CharM
05-15-2003, 07:54 PM
Sylvia, you got all that detail into a 5x7? Wow... This is fabulous... I can see now why Fookie pricks her fingers!!!

Alan Cross
05-15-2003, 07:58 PM
Beautiful job, Sylvia, I love cactus the only thing is I would like the red to be a bit deeper....maybe one more coat?
Alan :)

Little Old Lady
05-15-2003, 08:10 PM
Great job. I agree this is the painting for your daughter.
JoAnn

painterbear
05-16-2003, 05:05 AM
Thanks for your nice words about my painting Mary-Ann, Rhona, Michelle, Jan, Emilie, Velda, and Char, I appreciate them.

Uschi--I would thing you would do it very carefully. :(

Fookie, I'm so glad you think it looks as it should. I had a small indoor cactus garden when we lived in Albuquerque. I killed it with kindness by watering it like you would any other houseplant. Woke up one day to find it had rotted at the bottom and fallen over on top of the table it was sitting on.

Olga, I will definitely keep the reference photo in my Favorites file in the RIL. I think it would look pretty neat as a larger painting too.

JoAnn and Fookie, I think I'll e-mail her a copy of this and see what she thinks.

Alan, That's a thought. Don't want to lose that sun-bleached look though.

ripvanblair
05-16-2003, 05:36 AM
Ouch!! went too close this is very good Sylvia-----well done----------Alan