PDA

View Full Version : Are You a Rightie or Leftie?

mchew
05-15-2003, 12:35 PM
I read on Nitsa's thread about practising her artist side of the brain and it got me thinking. I read somewhere before that lefties use their right side of the brain more often (ie. artistic, creative, innovative, etc.) and righties use their left brain more often (systematic, logical, routine, etc.).

So, just curious, which hands do you use to paint? I guess most of us will be right-handed... who's the leftie here? btw, I admire lefties cos my brother is one and he is the most creative person I've ever known.

P/S: I'm right handed

Nitsa
05-15-2003, 12:44 PM
I'm a rightie....Totally anal which is why I am practising the right side of my brain! LOL!
Cool thread Marv, should be interesting!

babybrush
05-15-2003, 12:49 PM
i am righthanded as well. my brother is left handed and could draw recognisable people (prates mostly) when he was two. to blow the theory though, my aunt (same b-day as brother) is left handed and is artistically retarded. she drew a sheep once that looked like a cloud with legs, it didn't even have much of a head.

so, i don't think it makes too big of a difference.

Bethany

mchew
05-15-2003, 01:03 PM
I think I've found a leftie here... look at his tinyhead (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=13186) :D

tigre255
05-15-2003, 01:16 PM
I'm right handed and my mother was left handed.........but I never think in the logical mode.........:D :D :D

Line
05-15-2003, 01:25 PM
I use left hand :)

Joni St. Martin
05-15-2003, 01:26 PM
I am left handed, and I consider lefties to be at an advantage, because we ARE in our right minds!! :D
Don't ask me for directions though. Don't know if that is a leftie trait, but I am directionally challenged!

Regards,

Joni

Gilberte
05-15-2003, 02:06 PM
absolutely right-handed I am Marvin !

mchew
05-15-2003, 02:07 PM
OK... WHO ARE THE TWO WHO VOTED BOTH HANDS??!! Amazing!!:cool::p

mchew
05-15-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Gilberte
I am Marvin !

YOU are Gilberte
I AM Marvin!.... ROFLOL ... :evil: :D :D :p

mpopinz
05-15-2003, 02:14 PM
I'm a leftie too. Took a brain hemisphere dominance test recently and it turned out that I'm equally balanced! What a Hoot!
I can be very creative, but sometimes getting myself to paint what I see is still difficult.

pampe
05-15-2003, 02:40 PM
right handed, but right brain dominant

worked on that a lot in graduate school

Lady Carol
05-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Actually scientifically, whether you use the left or right side of your brain has nothing to do with which hand you use to write with (which is genetically predisposed). Some people are right-brain oriented and others are left. Most likely this is also genetic and also due to how they have been educated.

The majority of people in the world write with their right hand and therefore as you surmise, left-brained and technical. Marvin if your theory holds true then there should be more left-handed artists and as you can see by your statistics at the top of the page this isn't so.

OK, I'm a scientist......sorry your theory is flawed.

mustcreate
05-15-2003, 02:57 PM
I am right handed and have terrible difficulty using my left brain. :D

em

Starsprite
05-15-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Lady Carol
Actually scientifically, whether you use the left or right side of your brain has nothing to do with which hand you use to write with (which is genetically predisposed). Some people are right-brain oriented and others are left. Most likely this is also genetic and also due to how they have been educated.

The majority of people in the world write with their right hand and therefore as you surmise, left-brained and technical. Marvin if your theory holds true then there should be more left-handed artists and as you can see by your statistics at the top of the page this isn't so.

OK, I'm a scientist......sorry your theory is flawed.

LOL...Marvin..is this YOUR theory?!! Well, I'm a leftie. I definitely think differently than most people, a little left of the "normal" person's way of thinking about most things and thus explaining my "unusual" paintings...LOL! :D

artmom
05-15-2003, 03:03 PM
I'm right handed, but my dad was ambi-dexterous--he was forced to use his right hand for writing, etc. at school. On brain-dominance tests, I always come out equally balanced.

I am lousy in math, not too good in science, and love history, and reading and art--what does it matter which hand is dominant??LOL

madmum
05-15-2003, 04:04 PM
Welllllllllllllllll I'm right handed. I'm also (apparently) artistic (although I paint realism), and I'm good at maths! I put my artistic/musical nature down to being Piscean. My mathematical brain is from my dad. My total inability to do more than one thing at once is from my grandmother (left handed and slightly mad)! lol

Sorry that wasn't what you asked! lol

Oh, my youngest daughter is left handed, and the dizziest child I know!!!! I'm hoping her poetry is evidence of her intelligence and creativity :D

Ruth

Borum
05-15-2003, 04:09 PM
does painting with your feet count? if so i am footbedextres...

i paint right handed.....

Alan Cross
05-15-2003, 04:20 PM
Left all the way but I do paint with both hands....only write with my left....
Alan :)

karenjh
05-15-2003, 04:27 PM
I'm a rightie....Totally anal which is why I am practising the right side of my brain!

OMG Nitsa that is me too! LOL

Uschi
05-15-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by mustcreate
I am right handed and have terrible difficulty using my left brain. :D

em

Add me to this group:D
Uschi

M.A.
05-15-2003, 05:49 PM
*right handed here* ... neat thread.

jmarshall58
05-15-2003, 08:19 PM
I'd find occupations interesting. I tend to be ambi-dexterous . I'm an electronics tech and I know Rod is also yet I paint in severaL mediums and play several instruments. Does this mean I have a split brain or perhaps a joined one. Maybe none at all.

Jim

Little Old Lady
05-15-2003, 08:33 PM
I am right handed and rather creative but also good at math.
JoAnn

jaytee
05-15-2003, 08:50 PM
Right handed and heavily right-brained.............could do maths but not add up :D

Whereas in right handers physical cross-over is to left brain.... for left handers some cross to right and some to left brain.

I did lots of work on this for my MPhil and when a Trainer..........by and large peoples career path seemed to reflect their prefered brain dominance and not their handedness............ particularly obvious when working with BBC staff in creative and administrative posts.

An interesting discovery in my research with managers showed that people with one strongly prefered hemisphere, whether left or right, did better in their MBA than those with a more balanced brain. This seemed to go against common sense................my theory was that if you were heavily one-sided perhaps you had to try consciously really hard to perform a task that needed other-side-of-the-brain treatment and were more likely to match task with hemisphere than if you were brain-balanced when it was easy to apply either.... and therefore possibly the wrong side of the brain .........to the task.

here endeth the lesson...............................:evil: :evil:

CharM
05-15-2003, 10:32 PM
Right handed all the way... my degree is Business, majoring in Computer Science (graduated in my mid 40's)... love statistical analysis... very logical... develop and design computer applications for business process re-engineering... I don't know why I paint... yes I do, it fills a void... so, which side of my brain does which?

Christie
05-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Both hands here. It depends on the day which one I use.

I am a computer geek by choice (I love designing user interfaces) and a chemical technologist by training.

I have always done just about everything with either hand, but I am still more comfortable writing right to left wiith my left hand.

Perhaps this lack of handedness explains my inability to know what direction I am facing or to find my way around shopping malls. My 8 year old son is dominantly right handed and is my guide through shopping malls. One of his first sentences was,"Are we lost?" :D

artman42
05-15-2003, 11:04 PM
Iam Rightie , here

Bill J
05-15-2003, 11:13 PM
I'm a lefty. Was told to write with my right hand early on but could draw with my left. Finally a teacher said let this kid write with what ever hand he wants he draws great with his left hand-- so much for public education. I never figured out if I have a left half or right half of a brain or just one big blob of a brain. Hope this helps your survey Marvin

bill

Rod
05-15-2003, 11:30 PM
I'm a right hand man and think logically :)

Rod.

ArtWench
05-15-2003, 11:44 PM
I'm ambidextrous though I tend to write and draw with my right hand... but, I do crossword puzzles with my left...

When I was in art school, my figure drawing prof had us do an exercise where we rendered the figure twice: once with our dominant hand and then another with our (submissive? :evil: ) other hand. Then he had us all tack them up so that he could show us how much free-er we were with our non-dominant hand. When I tacked mine up, he couldn't tell which hand was dominant.

When I am painting, I will switch hands according to the position I need to get the brush in. And to really freak the guys out in this thread (well, it freaks out my husband), I shave my right leg with my right hand and my left leg with my left hand!

My sense of direction beats the heck out of my husband's and I rarely get lost; however, he is the logical one... He's a software engineer. I am unbelievably bad at math; but, love literature, history, & philosophy.

Has anyone ever taken that test that is supposed to tell you how you think? Most people who take it are linear concrete thinkers.... I tested as a random abstract thinker.... I guess I would just float away if it weren't for my husband! LOL!

So Marvin.... After reading all these posts, what is your conclusion?

GAlan
05-16-2003, 01:55 AM
Marvin,
I'm very much a lefty and proud of it.:D
Thanks for asking.

George

rapolina
05-16-2003, 11:20 AM
i'm asking if there is a connection between being leftie andd the right part of the brain too. i don't really know, as our culture and habits often force us to be rightie...
i'm rightie, but when i learnt writiong i wrote from right to left, funny and strange, isn't it?

anyway, i think that interest results, connected to tis poll, can be seen in the project "the opposite hand": icredible jobs have been posted!

ciao, rapolina.

Flattwo
05-16-2003, 05:30 PM
Hi Marvin

Interesting!

I am mainly right handed but use my left had a lot, when I played soccer I was left footed, when I play golf I play with left hand over right which is not normal, when I fold my arms its left over right, when I sit relaxed I sit with my right foot over the left..maybe I'm just confused!

Flattwo

Jprice022
05-16-2003, 08:17 PM
Hi Marvin-

I paint, write, throw and bat left handed.

Do some other things right handed..shoot pool, play guitar, shoot a rifle... Hope this helps.

Now I'm confused! :D

Strawberry Wine
05-16-2003, 08:30 PM
I am a righty and someone ( good memory but short) from here at W.C. suggested drawing something with the right hand and then trying again with the left. Could that have been you Marvin?

Haven't tried it yet but it is on my "to do " list.

I can't believe that 16.72 % have voted they use both. WOW

Gail

ScarletLake
05-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Ok something I can relate to

I am a LEFTIE. My first grade teacher tried to make me learn to write with my right hand but as soon as her back was turned the pencil went right back to where it felt like it belonged - in my left hand.

Contrary to the myth that all left handers have horrible handwriting - I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone told me "Oh - you have such pretty handwriting for a left handed person". I know it was a compliment but they would be so amazed. I sort of wanted to say Well I'm not a moron. On the other hand my husband is also left handed & I have some cards he wrote me that I to this day can't read & he signed a note for my son for school & they called me in to see it - they thought my son had tried to forge it - It was my husbands handwriting. I laughed so hard that day.

I'm a Sagitarius also.

I'm goal orientated. I like to think big. I'm the kind of person who can look at a pile of junk & see how it could be transformed into something beautiful.

I was just thinking yesterday that I don't remember not being interested in color, design etc. I was looking at a jewelry box I had admired in a womans dress shop when I was 13 yo. For my moving away present I got that box & still have it to this day. Anyway I was thinking for a 13 yo I had a sense of good taste for my age. I used to love to go to auctions with the neighbors.

I'm not good at math topics at all. Just never really cared for it. It just to confining a thought process for me. I love history, literature, poetry, movies. I like reading peoples biographies.
I am starting to journal myself.

I have career background of office clerical, accounting (which I hated) human resources (which I love) & most recent an LPN. I would like to get involved with some volunteer nursing areas or humanitarian efforts.

Would love to travel someday.

Love the stars & sky.

Yes - I'm a LEFTIE & loving it.

Anita

taghera
05-16-2003, 10:47 PM
I am right handed....unlike some women....I can still use my brain LOL....:D :D :evil: :evil:

Starsprite
05-16-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by taghera
I am right handed....unlike some women....I can still use my brain LOL....:D :D :evil: :evil:

Just because you are right-handed doesn't mean you have a brain Tagster!! Besides...you use the wrong hand. :D :evil:

taghera
05-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Starsprite

Just because you are right-handed doesn't mean you have a brain Tagster!! Besides...you use the wrong hand. :D :evil:

You wouldn't complain what hand I was using if I had you in the woods LOL...:D :D :D :D :evil: :evil:

Starsprite
05-16-2003, 10:57 PM
Hey Scarletlake...Anita! I am lefthanded also and a lot like you. I hate math and detail oriented stuff. I am too impatient for it. I also love the sky and stars...thus my name Starsprite...LOL

I am very visually aware of things too..almost like an extra sense. Lefthanders lots of times have very nice handwriting I think...maybe slanted a bit the opposite direction..but all in all nice handwriting!:clap:

Starsprite
05-16-2003, 10:59 PM

You wouldn't complain what hand I was using if I had you in the woods LOL...:D :D :D :D :evil: :evil:

WHAT? Please explain!!! I don't understand. :D

taghera
05-16-2003, 10:59 PM
I hate math and detail oriented stuff.

That figures!!!!...:D :D :D :D :evil: :evil:

taghera
05-16-2003, 11:00 PM

WHAT? Please explain!!! I don't understand. :D

AGAIN....that figures!!!!....:D :D :D :D :evil: :evil:

Lulu
05-17-2003, 04:30 AM
Leftie, so is hubby and our only child.........

Starsprite
05-17-2003, 09:01 AM

Praytell, what would you be doing with this right hand of yours if you had me in the woods??!! :D :D :evil: :evil: :confused: :confused: and how was it I got there anyway?

chookbrown
05-17-2003, 05:35 PM
Right handed.. but use the left for some stuff like Angela.. shaving legs... painting toenails... adding machine... .. I'm good at math and directions etc.

Brother is a leftie and doesn't have a creative bone in his body... poor soul... LOL..

Chooky :D:D:D

ScarletLake
05-17-2003, 06:59 PM
Starsprite

YEAH for us.

Math uck - Algebra I thought was invented by somebody with way too much time on their hands.

Also I don't talk about this but I have since a child had a couple of visions when someone was going to be in danger.

I also had a dream about a coworker one Thursday night. Really shook me up & I had dreamed that he had a heart attack & died. The dream was that he wanted his wife to know how happy he had been & what a good life he felt he had - he was telling me this to tell her.

I saw that coworker that Friday afternoon. I asked him what he was doing over the weekend. He said helping my daughter move. We were going to have near 100 degree temps that weekend. I said to him to be careful, it's going to be a horrible hot weekend. Don't overdue it.

I came into work on Monday morning & heard that he had helped his daughter move & then went to mow the lawn & had a massive coronary.

So I listen very much to my dreams, my intituition etc.

If someone comes to my mind then I call that person & usually I find out why they came to me.

So what do you think?

Anita

Georgie1
05-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm a lefty but also can use my right. My husband is the same.

Georgie1

Starsprite
05-18-2003, 08:25 PM
Anita...Scarlettlake:

Cool!!! That is being very intuitive!! I have never dreamed about something happening to someone then have it happen before. But if it happened once I would sure pay attention to it.

I'm a leftie all the way...except when I once played the guitar I was forced to play right-handed....it's the only way to play..so what could I do? I always wondered if I could have played better if it were possible to play left-handed though.

ArtWench
05-19-2003, 10:41 AM
I'm a leftie all the way...except when I once played the guitar I was forced to play right-handed....it's the only way to play..so what could I do? I always wondered if I could have played better if it were possible to play left-handed though.

It is possible. A good friend of mine is a left-handed guitar player (even though she writes with her right hand). You might have to special order the guitar; but, I know they are out there... 'cuz I've seen hers ALOT!

Starsprite
05-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Wow Cathexis...I didnt know that! I just assumed you didnt have a choice. I'll remember that if I get into it again. Right now have too much going on. It's odd that she writes with her right hand though and prefers to play guitar with her left...you would think playing righthanded would be normal for her.

KathyJB
05-19-2003, 06:12 PM
I am a Rightie I am unorganized and terrible creative not anal at all . As many have said ...my brother is a leftie he can also use both hands for what ever he needs but prefers left
he is a jack of all trades and runs his own construction co. and can draw like no one I have ever seen draw. I have to make him draw. I buy his paper and pencils and I paint at his place every thursday. I have often thot I should have him sketch and i will
simply paint when he is finished. Nice team yes? maybe when we both retire....
Kathy

ArtWench
05-20-2003, 12:30 AM
It's odd that she writes with her right hand though and prefers to play guitar with her left...you would think playing righthanded would be normal for her.

Yeah... I think she is ambidextrous and just doesn't know it! :D But, let me tell you, her music is out of this world fantastic!

magnuscanis
05-20-2003, 08:08 AM
I've always held my toothbrush in my left hand while cleaning my teeth. Other than that I'm right-handed. I did once try teaching myself to write left-handed but soon gave up (my right-handed handwriting is bad enough :)). I've been having a go at Rapolina's offhand painting project, which has been quite hard work but very interesting and good fun. I've uploaded one progress image so far and hope to get a chance to finish my painting soon.

I doubt I'll do too much work with my left hand in future, although it's nice to know that I wouldn't have to give up painting if my right hand became incapacitated. It would make playing the violin difficult though. :(

rapolina
05-20-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by rapolina
i'm rightie, but when i learnt writing i wrote from right to left,

did this happen to anyone else?
i can nowaways write that way, but my my writing is, when i go from right, non evolved, it seems a child calligraphy.
i'm often wondering why.

ciao, rapolina.

munrodee
05-20-2003, 09:37 AM
I AM A LEFTY,

but i use both hands

i bat left handed
and i golf left handed
and draw and write left handed

but i throw right handed
and bowl like a right handed person

and write on a chalk board right handed,
isnt that weird!!

D

Starsprite
05-20-2003, 09:59 AM
Munrodee, you say you write left-handed, but on a chalkboard you write right-handed??? That is unusual I think, very interesting!

Rapolina...you used to write starting from the right side of the paper going to the left? Isn't that called dyslexia? I could be wrong.

mchew
05-20-2003, 10:00 AM
Well, I started this thread out of my curiousity and it wasn't my theory linking one's handedness and use of brains side. I just read it some where quite a while ago and find it interesting. I think it was an article in Readers' Digest.

Thanks for the great response and I've no conclusion whatsoever on this matter. ... and yes, I was the one who talked about using left hand to practise drawing, then switch back to right hand... to improve one's drawing skills.

But I do observe something among left-handers. Most do not use their left hand strictly on almost everything like the majority right-handers. My brother who's left-handed use his right hand when he cuts with a scissor cos using left hand would split the sharp end of the two blades. I bet those who voted "both hands" are naturally left-handed but can use right hand on certain tasks because most things are made for the majority right-handers and left-handers learn to adapt?

ArtWench
05-20-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by mchew
I bet those who voted "both hands" are naturally left-handed but can use right hand on certain tasks because most things are made for the majority right-handers and left-handers learn to adapt?

Interesting thought.... I was one who voted both hands. I can write left handed; but, it isn't very pretty and is very slow, whereas the stuff that I usually do left-handed just feels more natural. I broke my arm during the summer before I started 2nd grade.... But, I think it was my right arm. Hmmmm.... But I wasn't shaving my legs back then! LOL! So that doesn't explain that. My sister is left handed and my father is ambidexterous; but, writes with his left hand.

Perhaps some of us are just odd? :evil:

GAlan
05-21-2003, 12:22 AM
Well Marvin,
I've always considered myself quite left handed but I must admit that I do many things right handed. I learned guitar on a right handed guitar. (my brothers) As a machinist I've developed a good dexterity of my right hand. After all these years I don't think I could operate left handed machines or guitars.:D
(I have a left handed fishing reel though :confused: )

Southpaw George

in my right brain;)

Yorky
06-19-2003, 04:53 PM
I'm right handed, but I can write quite well uside down and back to front. The result of several years practice as a teenager doing posters on film for the local working men's club. ;)

Doug

Anodyne
06-19-2003, 07:25 PM
Im left handed, yes i am the devils spawn :evil: muahahahahaha

I use scissors in my right hand though and hold a fone, mouse with my right hand as well.

I also hate math, suffer from depression and anxiety which meds keep in control. I always wondered if there was a corrilation with that.

-Sonia =^.^=

laudesan
06-19-2003, 07:49 PM
I am right handed, sagitarian, and have always been creative.

when I fold my arms its left over right, when I sit relaxed I sit with my right foot over the left..

Me too.

I can read upside down very well, back to front, and mirror writing. I was not too good at maths, but loved english and biology. I have a sixth sense which has been active all my life, and extremely accurate.

I also hate being cooped up inside. Love all things pretty and coloured lights at night, especially refelcting on water.eg the river..

JJ

NgKK
06-19-2003, 08:07 PM
Hey, Marvin, you have started an interesting thread ! You have found out more about all these artists, not only whether they are left or right handed, but also their personality and characters !

I am Ambidextrous, I think.

Was born as left handed, "forced" to use right hand to write and to use chopsticks, other than that, I still got mixed up with my folk and spoon (Westen setting), I cut with left, I can't draw line with right, I dig nose with.... Oops! :p really confussing huh ?!

I draw with both right & left hand which ever is "convenient", and when I do oil, I was so happy that I am able to let them take their turns to paint and to rest ! As you know it is more tiring to do oil than watercolour ! :D

Strangely, every time when I am lost at the cross junction, I will autometically trun to my left ! :p

BUT I sleep on the right side of the bed... guess why? :D

droll13
08-21-2003, 09:24 PM
Right-handed for me. Right or left brained? I dunno. Brain-dead is probably accurate most of the time.

I like logic, statistics, some math, and I'm very definitely of a scientific bent. But I also have learned to trust 1st impressions and intuition.

So what does that make me? Who knows.

Dave

SouthernSun
08-21-2003, 09:28 PM
As once said by a North Carolina basketball player, I can use my right hand and my left hand--I must be amphibious. :D

Lady Rando
08-21-2003, 11:22 PM
Both. Ambi-dexterous....I was forced to use my right hand by a rather nasty nun at school. I write with my right hand but use my left and right for art. I'm good with both logical and creative thinking.

GOODROB
08-22-2003, 12:38 AM
If I use my dominant hand, my right hand, to paint something that I want to look completely random... it looks to contrived, so I like to use my left for it since I have so little control at all. My left brain couldn't take over if it wanted to! I'm just not coordinated enough!

Sher
08-22-2003, 02:01 AM
Ambidextrous here. At least when I'm writing. I'm equally balanced according to the Right Brain/Left Brain test. ( My family says I'm quite unbalanced though) :D
I should try painting with my left hand. WOW...what a concept!

De Albaida
08-22-2003, 02:12 AM
Marvin

I'm left-handed but .................. my handwriting is virtually illegible, I hold a paintbrush awkwardly and I paint "backwards". Does that make me artistic?

Bubba's Mama
08-25-2003, 06:13 AM
Apparently I am a rightie for my works with acrylics, and a leftie for my best watercolors! Check out the bold and loose postings for the work done with my left hand as I still can't use my right arm!! What a hoot!!:D

JustjoGA
08-25-2003, 06:34 AM
I thought I posted on this months ago, but just read thru and hadn't... I am extremely right handed... Always said if I lost my left hand it wouldn't keep me from doing anything I already do. Writing, drawing, painting, sweeping, all right hand....

Oh, and I also read upside down and backwards.... got in trouble at work one day for that....

KansasLady
08-25-2003, 06:44 AM
Definitely right handed.

I was told one time that most people in countries where the books are printed right to left (Arabic, Chinese???) tend to be left handed. It's a genetic thing. Any truth to this? Anyone know? (Time to dispel this myth???)

Remy
10-03-2003, 09:04 PM
I use both hands. I think my right and left side of my brain must be twisted ;) . I've always thought my two strongest character traits in this order are 1. Very logical thinker, and 2. creative/artistic.

I can write easily with both hands,(and at the same time), and as a strange but useless quirk (call it talent :rolleyes: )I can write(cursive as well as print)backwards, upsidedown, and,..backwards & upsidedown at the same time with speed neatness and legitability. Surely there must be a use for such a talent,lol. I thought everyone could do this when I was a kid and wasn't til adulthood I discovered that wasn't so.

Probably will come in handy if my right hand gets chopped off and I need to write something for someone who is sitting across the table from me. :p

maurdel
10-04-2003, 02:56 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joni St. Martin
[B]I am left handed, and I consider lefties to be at an advantage, because we ARE in our right minds!! :D
Don't ask me for directions though. Don't know if that is a leftie trait, but I am directionally challenged!

Everything Joni said is true for me, yet I am a better map reader than anyone I know. :confused:
Also I am pretty adept w/ my right as well. I use the mouse on the right side of my keyboard to do something 'righty' everyday.
Rarely but sometimes will I paint or write w/ my right.

Felica Keech-Smith
10-04-2003, 03:01 AM
I right and paint with my right hand, but can use my left hand to smudge when drawing, clean up when painting etc. You can even READ my left handwriting, so.. not really sure if I'm both or not

Felica

(Oh, welcome to WC fello Metro'er ^^^^ maurdel. You GOTTA be able to read maps to get around HERE.. now DON'T ya..hehe.. (I'm purty good with maps myself.)

Felica

ChasCreek
10-04-2003, 05:28 PM
right handed... but use my brain as little as possible ;)

Charlie

Carrie
10-05-2003, 02:45 AM
Most likely right-brained.........Left handed

Carrie

artesana
10-07-2003, 06:20 PM
I am right handed and I haven't the faintest idea what side of the brain I'm using, LOL. What I do know is that I use both hands to play the piano, the guitar, the accordion, the cuatro (our typical string instrument) and any other instrument that I may play in the future. Of course I paint and write with my right hand, but I can write a little with my left hand, but not as well.

In my family we're all right-handed. I have a few friends who are left-handed and they have beautiful handwriting.
;)

Annapet
06-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Leftie here!

:)

burntsienna
06-21-2004, 04:19 PM
I'm a leftie also but I don't think my brain works on either side :o :D

Karen

Richard Saylor
06-21-2004, 04:57 PM
The most talented artist I've known, my dad, was ambidextrous. I'm strictly right-handed, but according to the tests I've taken, I don't have a dominant cerebral hemisphere. (However, as a mathematician, I should be left-brain dominant, I suppose.)

MsLilypond
06-24-2004, 02:15 PM
I am mostly right handed, I use it to write and paint and draw, but I use my left hand quite a bit too. I use my left hand to smudge stuff when drawing or painting and when smoothing and sculpting clay figures. For some reason I also count money with my left hand.

I took one of those online test and it claims I use both sides of my brain, or don't use both sides of my brain equally.

Rich Williams
06-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Lefty here allmost all the time, but I have been known to use the right when required.

Rich

WTPDOSA
07-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Marvin,

I'm a righty, but when I was a child I enjoyed finger-painting with both hands in elementary school.
Does that count as both? :D :clap: :D

Peace,

Tom

Paladdin
07-06-2004, 08:00 AM
I am left-handed. My dad was right-handed and could think three-dimensionaly, i.e., he would build things with only measurements on paper and a minor sketch or two. He always reminded me that some great artists were left-handed such as Leonardo DaVinci (though I believe he was ambidextrous), Peter Paul Rubens, and Paul Revere. That cheered me up. :rolleyes:

Flattwo
09-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Hello

I can paint a masterpiece with my right hand whilst conducting a full orchestra with my left....joking of course!

I use both, but mainly right, I am left footed when playing soccer, my grip is left below right in golf but with a right handed stance

God knows what part of my brain is dominant!

Henry

JustjoGA
09-24-2006, 12:03 PM
LOL, Henry, I love it that you found and
resurrected this thread... OK, newer WC
folks, let us hear from you!!

I'm sure I said back somewhere that I am
totally right handed; the left is only a
prop for what my right hand is doing.

I have done various left/right brain tests...
but I could never see a dominance there.

Also I am painfully directionally challenged,
as my son and my friends have seen many times.

JustJo

Rjgriffin
09-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Great thread!

This is my first post, hope I am doing it right. I am a leftty and righty. I am able to write with both hands, but usuaally use the left to write, paint and eat. Use only the right hand to play sports and use a telephone. I have caught my self painting with a brush in both hands!

Renee

Arnold Lowrey
10-01-2006, 04:35 AM
Very much left for me
Arnold

jcpope
10-01-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm one of those who voted "both".

Apparently, I'm naturally left-handed, and so is my grandmother. But my mother kept moving things out of my left hand into my right hand, because she had seen how hard it was for my grandmother to do things left handed. When my grandmother was young (that would have been the 1910's and 20's), there weren't many left-handed specific products - like scissors.

I can write with both hands and do ocassionally paint with both hands, although not at the same time!

Jan

cyber_holic
10-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Rightie when painting and writing but leftie in some other stuff like eating, but not really ambedextrious because depending on the task the other hand is useless! lol!