PDA

View Full Version : Half hour self portrait

Yorky
05-15-2003, 10:33 AM
This is a quick self portrait I did after seing Mary-Ann's. Really a coloured-in sketch. Colours are a bit smoother in the original. 6x6 Bockingford.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/1046-Doug15_04_03.jpg

Don't I look serious! :D

The eyes are a little high because of the angle of the mirror.

Doug

CharM
05-15-2003, 10:40 AM
Excellent job Doug!!! Tiny, tiny, tiny nit... please soften the value in your left ear... it looks like you have a terrible earache! With your back, you have enough pain to deal with!!!

al22
05-15-2003, 10:48 AM
Good job Doug.........tho't this was a 'mirror' portrait because your hair part is on wrong side...... Used mirror a couple of times then realized all backward and now try to use camera timer.....
Anyway looks good.....
.......al

Annetta
05-15-2003, 10:50 AM
.....Great job Doug!! Yes, you do look serious compared to your tiny head. You have such a cute smile. Hey, paint another one "not so serious". :evil:

geof
05-15-2003, 10:50 AM
Nice one Doug.
Shouldn't need the red anorak tomorrow now Lol :) .

Yorky
05-15-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by al22
Good job Doug.........tho't this was a 'mirror' portrait because your hair part is on wrong side...... Used mirror a couple of times then realized all backward and now try to use camera timer.....
Anyway looks good.....
.......al

Thought about reversing it in photoshop, Al, but it reversed the signature and so I didn't bother. Someone said that if you want to sell someone a portrait, paint a mirrored image - that's what the see every day in the mirror. :D

Doug

artmom
05-15-2003, 11:05 AM
Oooow! What gorgeous blue eyes! Eat your heart out, Mel Gibson!!!!!

Yorky
05-15-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by artmom
Oooow! What gorgeous blue eyes! Eat your heart out, Mel Gibson!!!!!

OK, OK I overdid the UB! Relax Mel :D

Doug

Crystal Owl
05-15-2003, 01:12 PM
Nice job Doug! :)

Irene

Joni St. Martin
05-15-2003, 01:31 PM
Doug,

You handsome devil, you! :evil: Love the eyes.
Really nice self portrait!

Regards,

Joni

Gilberte
05-15-2003, 02:20 PM
Very good ... maybe, maybe a background ?

rks
05-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Wow, Doug, this is just great! Any helpful hints to those of us who would like to try a self-portrait????

Roberta:D

madmum
05-15-2003, 04:09 PM
You look even more like Rolf now! ;) lol

Geof won't have a problem recognising you. Good job!

(thanks for looking for the paint pot, I appreciate it :) )

Ruth

pampe
05-15-2003, 04:28 PM
nice work, Doug

I agree about a background

and INHO a little more color in those cheeks.....or go out in the sun a tad;)

Pam

M.A.
05-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Hey Doug, this looks great! I think you did an amazing job on your nose, I find noses really really hard. You've also done a great job on the skin tones. I wonder if you might want to add a bit of shadow under your chin to help define it from your neck a bit more? Just a thought. Overall, this is a wonderful self-portrait/sketch and I hope to see more of them.
:clap:

I think it makes a lot of sense that self-portraits are mirror images. I'm wondering if a person couldn't hook a camcorder to their television screen and do their "life image" from the tv set? Just a thought.

Cool. I was inspired by Jaytee to do mine and now my little thread prompted you to do one. I wonder who out there is being inspired right now? I'm looking forward to their thread, whoever is. :)

Yorky
05-15-2003, 06:08 PM
LOL Thanks for the feedback everyone. I prefer the Roger Whittaker image to Rolf Harris, Ruth, although as Rolf is a talented musician and an excellent artist perhaps it should be Rolf ......

This really was a "quickie" and I didn't take particular care with it.

Well spotted, Al, I may try again from a photograph. The wife saw it and said I look "miserable" - perhaps it was the concentration or the sciatica. I'll try to smile next time :D

Doug

al22
05-15-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Yorky

Thought about reversing it in photoshop, Al, but it reversed the signature and so I didn't bother. Someone said that if you want to sell someone a portrait, paint a mirrored image - that's what the see every day in the mirror. :D

Doug

lol.......might work Doug......
.....al

jaytee
05-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Yorky
Well spotted, Al, I may try again from a photograph. The wife saw it and said I look "miserable" - perhaps it was the concentration or the sciatica. I'll try to smile next time :D

My vote goes to the concentration.......anyway. who wants to grin at themselves in the mirror, even for a quick portrait :D

I think this shows how much youve benefited from the portrait exchange Doug............stick with the life painting from the mirror for a while.......... its as you see yourself daily and keeps moving............familiar and changing.............. what a challenge :D Makes it less likely to slavishly follow photo but look really hard at whats there and generally taken for granted.......... or thats what I found ;)

Pity about the Mel Gibson eyes or lack of :evil:

PS try doing one from life not head on.............

Little Old Lady
05-15-2003, 08:37 PM
Great job for a quick sketch. Would like to see a few more darks.
JoAnn

rapolina
05-16-2003, 05:13 AM
wow!
rapolina.:)

ripvanblair
05-16-2003, 05:19 AM
It's very good Doug, but I would like to see one of you a bit happier, you look very serious-------well done--------Alan