PDA

View Full Version : Self Portrait, The Burn

timelady
05-15-2003, 06:24 AM
Another self-portrait. I'm really liking these. :) This one is Scotland (The Burn is the name of a place where I did a Shakespeare conference, a burn being a small stream/river in Scotland)

Self Portrait, The Burn
Acrylic on canvas, 20"x40"
(there is no glare on the top section, that is the colour of the painting)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/2309-portraitburn.jpg

WC sized it down a bit so a slightly larger version is on my website, along with a bunch of new paintings finished for the fair this weekend. :)

Tina.

Adrienne
05-15-2003, 06:30 AM
Oh, this is so very exquisite. Absolutely stunning and gorgeous. How can you bear to sell these incredible pieces of yours? I think this may be my favorite, but it is tough to pick. The Temple one was so beautiful too... they all are...

How long have you been painting?

How long have you been selling your paintings?

Do you do sculpture as well?

timelady
05-15-2003, 09:11 AM
Thanks. :) I have to part with them to pay my rent. The last 3 new ones give me warm fuzzies inside (the top 3 on my web gallery page). Even when I posted them and packed them up for the fair tomorrow I thought it would be so hard to sell them! But the feeling will pass when I start new canvases, it always does.

I've been painting since about 1997. Not long really. But I was always artistic and did a lot of pastel and drawing work into my 20s and music (voice, fiddle, piano). I transferred my creative energies into writing after that and even ran a sci-fi fanzine for about 4 years. I'd actually wanted to go to art school before university but my parents wouldn't let me. Strange how life works out... I got my science degree, then did grad school. Got into the 'real' world and decided to do art for fun on the side. Now I've quit the city job, am a full-time artist (struggling, I admit) and studying part-time for another science degree for 'fun'. Haha. It's all gone in reverse. Oh, I've just started my 3rd year of selling full time, tax year starts April 5th over here, but I sold on eBay for about 2 years before that.

Strange you should mention sculpture! I don't do it but have pondered the idea several times. A close friend does sculptural ceramics and I love watching her work (she throws). But I just don't have a 3D brain. ;) For what it's worth, I can't even paint thick. I'm a glazer, my brain thinks in thin layers. All my texture is applied before I even start painting. Bought some Das clay last week and am going to play around with making my little housies in 3D. Just thinking of little rough-edged squares that I can paint like I do in the paintings. And I tried to take a metal sculpture class once but had missed the first course on health and safety so they wouldn't let me sign up. Bah! :( Then again, friends say I'm not allowed to weld things anyway (or do anything that involves fire).

Tina.

mmk
05-15-2003, 04:32 PM
i like it. the colors, textures, minimalism and composition are doing it for me.

shel
05-15-2003, 06:09 PM
Amazing! The textures and colors are exquisite. I’ve just gone through your web site… every piece is more beautiful then the other! WOW! :clap:

Shel

mpopinz
05-15-2003, 06:30 PM
Compelling. I first saw this on your site. Glad to see you are a member of WC!, Think I'll go check your site again. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Fagan
05-15-2003, 06:42 PM
WOW! your work is stunning! I visited your webpage....each painting was fantastic in their own way. Very inspiring!! *SMILE*

somerset
05-15-2003, 07:18 PM
This is my 3rd or 4th viewing. I still don't have words.

muchfoolishness
05-15-2003, 08:14 PM
gracefull and very beautifull

Salairawns
05-16-2003, 01:10 AM
You have beautiful work. I think Thames Castle and Penzance Storm are my favorites, rich creamy colors.
The Burn is lovely as well.

timelady
05-16-2003, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the comments all. :) I'm a bit nervous about this fair and you've made me feel lots better.

Salairawns - the colours in those two (Thames Castle and Penzance Storm) were actually a bit of an experiment. Neither is a colour scheme I usually work with and I made deliberate decisions to try them. The red/wine colour was fun, once I mixed the right range. Mainly alazin crimson based, with diox purple. And the Castle is much lighter than I usually paint! It felt so strange doing glazes of near-white, but I worked my way from dark to light and *knew* I had to go lighter. Love when it's clear where the painting is going. :) They are actually grey layers, mixtures of cerulean blue and cadmium orange which is wonderful because you can get a cool and warm version middle grey. (Ultramarine and burnt sienna make a nice dark grey.) (and thanks for the tip about the link on my site! Fixed it!)

Tina.

Adrienne
05-16-2003, 05:45 AM
Thanks. I have to part with them to pay my rent. The last 3 new ones give me warm fuzzies inside (the top 3 on my web gallery page). Even when I posted them and packed them up for the fair tomorrow I thought it would be so hard to sell them! But the feeling will pass when I start new canvases, it always does.

I've been painting since about 1997. Not long really. But I was always artistic and did a lot of pastel and drawing work into my 20s and music (voice, fiddle, piano). I transferred my creative energies into writing after that and even ran a sci-fi fanzine for about 4 years. I'd actually wanted to go to art school before university but my parents wouldn't let me. Strange how life works out... I got my science degree, then did grad school. Got into the 'real' world and decided to do art for fun on the side. Now I've quit the city job, am a full-time artist (struggling, I admit) and studying part-time for another science degree for 'fun'. Haha. It's all gone in reverse. Oh, I've just started my 3rd year of selling full time, tax year starts April 5th over here, but I sold on eBay for about 2 years before that.

Strange you should mention sculpture! I don't do it but have pondered the idea several times. A close friend does sculptural ceramics and I love watching her work (she throws). But I just don't have a 3D brain. For what it's worth, I can't even paint thick. I'm a glazer, my brain thinks in thin layers. All my texture is applied before I even start painting. Bought some Das clay last week and am going to play around with making my little housies in 3D. Just thinking of little rough-edged squares that I can paint like I do in the paintings. And I tried to take a metal sculpture class once but had missed the first course on health and safety so they wouldn't let me sign up. Bah! Then again, friends say I'm not allowed to weld things anyway (or do anything that involves fire).

You're so funny!!! Nice to see such a great sense of friendliness and humor in someone so incredibly and utterly gifted. :D

I was thinking about the sculpture because in a very sublime way, your paintings are slightly 3D. They are actually very similar to some of the more spare 3D reliefs that I've seen from some sculptors. I wish I could think of a name but I can't at the moment...

Your story gives me hope, though I could never paint with your grace... perhaps, though, I can improve as time goes by...

Your color choices and the glazing you do are out-of-this world. As somerset suggested, there aren't words to describe the sublime qualities and gracefulness of your efforts. God him/her-self should do so well...

Sorry to gush -- I wish there were a simple way to convey my appreciation for your efforts, and my gratitude to you for sharing them here...

Nisha
05-16-2003, 10:40 AM
I think everyone has said it all.
Very sublime! Inspirational!

Nisha:D

Gar
05-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Great palette and subtlety of content.

amanda
05-16-2003, 12:20 PM
what a fantastic way to do a self portrait, I love it totally.

timelady
05-16-2003, 05:58 PM
As long as you see a pretty picture, I'm happy. That's the goal. :)

Originally posted by Adrienne

Your story gives me hope, though I could never paint with your grace... perhaps, [/B]

You've clearly never seen me paint! ;) Particularly graceful is when I rub part of a painting with a rag, realise I've just gotten bright red somewhere *else* on the canvas (which is most likely blue) because there was wet paint on another part of the rag, run around going sh** sh** sh**!!!! and grabbing a clean wet rag and removing the offending paint and usually the last glaze layer along with it, finally realising that I've now stepped on the original paint-laden rag and have paint in my sandal. Very graceful! Heehee. Oh, and the paintbrush in the mouth painting the top of my sleeve. I do that one at *least* once a week. I believe this is why artists are hermits. (and wear brightly coloured patterned clothing)

First night of show didn't go well, or badly. Busy but no sales, a couple of 'alternative' type galleries approached me. Private views are mostly just artists friends at these things though. We'll see...have decided to rehang everything in the morning because the medium size paintings are getting no interest. Going to put up more of the big ones.

Tina.

Adrienne
05-16-2003, 06:44 PM
You've clearly never seen me paint! Particularly graceful is when I rub part of a painting with a rag, realise I've just gotten bright red somewhere *else* on the canvas (which is most likely blue) because there was wet paint on another part of the rag, run around going sh** sh** sh**!!!! and grabbing a clean wet rag and removing the offending paint and usually the last glaze layer along with it, finally realising that I've now stepped on the original paint-laden rag and have paint in my sandal. Very graceful! Heehee. Oh, and the paintbrush in the mouth painting the top of my sleeve. I do that one at *least* once a week. I believe this is why artists are hermits. (and wear brightly coloured patterned clothing)

ROFLMAO :D :D :D

Keep us posted on the show. Vibes your way for lots of nice, open wallets ;)

timelady
05-18-2003, 04:35 AM
Well, day two had one small sale. :p But a friend reminded me that it was the last day that did best last year. So fingers crossed (but I won't be holding my breath). Lots of interest, just need people to spend!!! Loads of people liked this painting and the Penzance one...

Tina.

Adrienne
05-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Fingers and toes crossed here as well...

arourapope
05-18-2003, 10:29 PM
Sa------weeeeeeeeet

I really like that undercurrent of purple and white slipping across this one. Good luck with the show!

Gareth
05-19-2003, 05:29 AM
Tina,

This is a really nice piece, but the kind of thing that I think needs to be seen in the flesh to get a truer idea of. Do you ever show around Penzance or do you just paint it? I live a stones throw from there, so it would be cool if you do.

I'm also glad that your painting was good enough to bring aurora out of her shell again. It's a delight to see you back girl.

Gareth

Adrienne
05-19-2003, 05:51 AM
Yes, Aurora. Your 2nd-to-the-last Little People painting brought me out of lurkdom on Wet Canvas. It was so incredible and moving that I think my response to it was my first post here.

I hope to see your oils back here soon.

I've missed you very much.

timelady
05-19-2003, 04:11 PM
Yeah! Aurora's back! :)

I don't get to Penzance much... I was there quite a few years ago, around xmas '94. Was having a remenisce (er, spelling?) through loads of old photo albums and found my pics of Penzance. It was tipping down rain the whole time I was there. :) Typical. I want to go back to Cornwall. The whole lot of us in our studios are thinking of having a couple weeks away together, but everyone else seems to like St Ives (which bores me frankly). It's be nice to do some day trips elsewhere though if our accommodation is covered.

Tina.

arourapope
05-19-2003, 07:21 PM
Good to be back! ;)
I'm off to see the website, Miss Timelady.

arourapope
05-19-2003, 07:25 PM
Wow!
You've been busy. I just put your website in my favorites. Cove by Night and Bridge (& HMS Belfast) make me yearn.