PDA

View Full Version : Somebody wants to buy. OMG!

noreenemc
05-15-2003, 12:07 AM
OK. Here's the deal. My boyfriend's boss wants to by a PRINT of my original painting:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/20414-sundaysmall.jpg

I looked into giclee printers, doesn't seem practical for one print. Giclee seems to be inkjet with expert application. I am not marketing and have no other takers. I bought an Epson 2200 printer this weekend. Still learning it's ways.

By the way, original is 9x12 Canson. It's called Sunday Afternoon. Anyone who's been north of the bay area on a weekend can identify with this. :)

He wants a LARGER print, 10x14 or better.Any advice for a first sale novice?

artmom
05-15-2003, 12:09 AM
Why not the original?

noreenemc
05-15-2003, 12:15 AM
He stated these reasons for not wanting the original:

It would be too expensive. Ha!

He wants to display it at work. His office has a lot of windows and he doesn't want a break in.

norsky
05-15-2003, 01:24 AM
To make it worth your while-change the price of the original by
$100.00 and then tell him it would cost him cost minus $100.00.
That should cover the ink and printer you just bought!

Hope that helped.

Norsky

P.S.- GREAT PICTURE!!!:clap:

lyn lynch
05-15-2003, 01:35 AM
Al and I were just talking about this the other day. Currently, Al uses high grade photographic copy paper and prints out, then he numbers each print. Another friend does this, too, and charges $2.00 per print; she sells billions at craft fairs.

Anyway, I was telling Al that I would like to see more texture on the print. He said he somethings prints on 90# Arches, which goes well through his printer and should give a bit more of the texture anyway. If nothing else you will have the paper for practice.

Al and I also discussed using the "canvas paper" sold in tablet form at the craft and art stores. We did not come to a conclusion but I feel this might go through a printer.

Strathmore makes boxed paper for greeting cards/postcards, which, allegedly can go through a printer. Might read the info on the box side to check out the weight.

Great painting! I don't recognize the view, but the bumpers are familiar...an everyday occurance here in the valley of the sun as long as the sunbirds are here.

madmum
05-15-2003, 03:03 AM
First, congratulations!!!!!!!

I really can't help, I've never printed any of my paintings except as Christmas cards!

I imagine the first essential is a high resolution image to print from, then good quality ink for your printer, then you need to make sure it prints true colour.

Good luck!

Ruth

ripvanblair
05-15-2003, 03:37 AM
This is very good , charge plenty!!-------------Alan

M.A.
05-15-2003, 04:50 AM
Congrats, you're gonna love the durabrite inks! :clap:

They do an amazing job. Let us know how it turns out. I recently picked up the c82 and can print on 140 cotton rag!!! So I picked up some of the epson specialty matt paper and I really like the result. I printed out some test cards (Fookie, Doug, Pam, Em and Barb are getting some of my first prints from it with their portraits that I sent in hte mail). The first thing I did when I got the printer was print out a painting and run it under the tap to test it and see if it was truly waterproof. It is! No smear, smudge or loss of intensity!

CharM
05-15-2003, 07:08 AM
Congratulations!

Mary-Ann, what size prints are you able to print?

SouthernSun
05-15-2003, 07:56 AM
You also can go to a copy store like Kinko's and get a large reproduction made on either a color copier or they can scan it in and print it with an expensive color printer. You may be able to get a larger size this way. It is usually not very expensive.

lynn_cyr
05-15-2003, 08:05 AM
I'm with Mary-Ann. I also just purchased the c82 and it works like a dream! It only took me a bit of tweaking to get the colors just right, but it was very much worth it.

Seeing that you already have the Epson 2200 (which is basically a much higher end printer than my c82), I would suggest you make the print yourself. And if I'm not mistaken, you can get larger than 8 1/2 X 11 on that one? The c82 is limited to this size.

As for what to charge, I have no clue, but Norsky seems to have a good idea. I'm not sure what the original is selling for. The price also depends on whether it's a limited edition print, or a one-time deal.

Hope this helps! Let us know either way! :)

Lynn

Yorky
05-15-2003, 09:20 AM
Try printing on watercolour paper - it works for me. Bockingford produce a special ink-jet grade.

As a safety measure I spray my prints with UV protection spray to waterproof and protect them from the light.

As regards fading, all prints fade if exposed to the sun, and especially if exposed to fluorescent lighting - and taht includes commercial prints.

I have a friend who sells masses of prints done commercially and has a disclaimer about fading. Prints are short lived images and should be priced down accordingly.

Originals, if the colours are chosen with care have a much longer life.

Doug

Crystal Owl
05-15-2003, 09:34 AM
Who makes this C82? I'm currently looking for a printer to print off my art.

Irene

lynn_cyr
05-15-2003, 09:38 AM
Irene,

The C82 is made by Epson - I bought mine for $119 (US), which is pretty good. It has the DuraBrite inks, which are waterproof and lightfast (but as Doug noted, everything will eventually fade if not properly cared for). Like Mary-Ann, I also make my prints on the Epson Matte Heavyweight paper, and it works wonders.

If you do a search on C82 here on WC!, you'll be sure to find lost of threads on it. Same goes for the Epson 2200, which is basically a much higher-end model.

Lynn

al22
05-15-2003, 11:40 AM
At the size he wants your best bet is to go to one of the 'Office' stores and get it done there...... I did a poster size for a friend not long ago and they charged me about 20 bucks..... just be sure to take them the best picture you can with a high resolution.
As for cost..... mat and frame included ....at that size a 16X20 frame should be super and standard ........charge at least a hundred bucks.
...........al

karenjh
05-15-2003, 12:34 PM
First congratulations. Second I want one of those Durabright ink printers! They sound cool (at least the commercial does) but mine isn't even a year old so I don't think I can sell my hubby on a new one LOL. You've got some great suggestions here - good luck.

noreenemc
05-15-2003, 01:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your support, great tips and kind words. As soon as I know how much the frame is going to be (he wants a shadowbox type) I'll know how much to charge. Probably more like $150, framing is expensive around here.

I bought the Epson 2200 because it can print up to a 13"x44" image. I can actually feed a large piece of 140lb watercolor paper into it. It also has 7 separate color ink cartridges with archival quality inks, I wanted to try to give him and any future (I hope) buyers, the best quality for money spent. Sounds like the jury is still out on how long the colors last. Supposed to be at least 25 years. I like the idea of the UV protective spray, Yorky.

Fookie, I used the Strathmore card stock last Christmas with my HP printer and they came out great.