PDA

View Full Version : Daily Wash - Thursday, May 15th, 2003

Uschi
05-15-2003, 12:03 AM
AH HA!!!!! I did it, started the Daily Wash!!!! Getting out fast so noone can beat me to it.
Uschi

artmom
05-15-2003, 12:10 AM
Congratulations! LOL

Uschi
05-15-2003, 12:16 AM
So, now I can take my time.
Good Morning european washers, good day those in Australia and good night to the rest of us, oh, and HI Marvin!

Was at life drawing and usually have a heck of a time falling asleep afterwards, so instead of tossing and turning I decided to do the "washer" thing and browse the posts. Nothing else to report - I could tell a bit of a risky joke. It's the only one that I actually remember.

O.k. there was a young elephant whose best friend was a little mouse. Young elephant wanted to find out what it was like to "make love" and asked it's best friend, the mouse, if it was willing. Mouse agreed, climbed up the elephant's leg, got itself into position and at the crucial moment a coconut fell off a tree and hit the elephant right on the head. "OUCH!!! cried the young elephant", to which the little mouse replied "don't worry, it only hurts the first time".

Hope it gave you a little smile and let you forget all the woes for just a moment.

Have a great day!!!
Uschi

Kari
05-15-2003, 12:59 AM
Good morning, all!!
It's sunny again here, but cool, 49 degrees F. this a.m. My son just took the chocolate chip muffins out of the oven that I made and they are about to go off to school. Then my neighbors and I are going to the local market and later I am going to see if our Arts and Crafts store on base has anything new since they just moved to a bigger spot.
Happy Painting!

lyn lynch
05-15-2003, 01:57 AM
Ah, Uschi, thanks for the memories, LOL. In high school we thought that was purdy dern funny. LOL

Kari, base run to new craft store addition sounds like fun; hope it's a good adventure and that you and friends stop for coffee. Friends and I always went shopping/junk stores and then coffee to show and tell...was lots of fun.

Normally I do not join in the Wash until after midnight my time [just a matter of principle, LOL], but since Uschi gave such a good little chuckle I break my routine. So nice to be retired and flexible. LOL

So I have doctor today and doctor does some test kind stuff and yes! she concurs, the sole of both feets is numb to stimuli. She says foot pulse is showing good so has no idea except may be lympotic problem. She don't know so gives me those long white support stockings to wear, and darned if they don't help a bit. Feet still numb and toes still hurt like H*ll, but they help. So, no help at the moment. I have such fun thinking how sister would laugh at seeing me in long white stockings of old man. LOL, I was always so stylish in appearance...good chuckle.

I stop at the shelter to see the feisty kitty I wote of yesterday. She is sleeping and in high cage so cannot get a good look. I see that she is not declawed and unknown about getting along w/dogs. I see, also, that hair looks ultrafine, not good for an allergy suffer. Attendant out for a bit so I buy a few things in the thrift store and go to office supply store next door and buy ergonomic office chair for sitting in at my desk. I hope this will help w/my feet and so far it seems to be giving some aid.

I think tomorrow must be dedicated to volunteer job; many phone calls to be made and slew of more paperwork to be gone through--volunimous paperwork!! Then, sewing machine still out: I took out the misaligned sleeve of dress for baby granddaughter so maybe have another go at finishing it. Also, I have 2 dresses to hem for me--both purchased last summer and never worn due to length, could be about time for a hemmin'.

OK, that's all the chatty stuff from me. Welcome back {{Pamps}}, hope friend made it through surgery and is on to recovery post haste.

mchew
05-15-2003, 02:40 AM
Hello washers and hi Uschi... thanks for thinking of me and the funny joke.

Kari, have fun at the art store.

((((((Auntie))))) sorry to hear about your foot problem... now who told ya white stockings are not stylish... they'll be the in-thing and much sought after by fashionable teenagers real soon.... :D

It's public holiday here today, called Vesak Day which is a celebration day for the buddhism religion. Nothing planned for today... was intending to go to the art store and buy some materials for the mural project... yes, starting it tomorrow, but called the art store and nobody picks up the phone... I guess they're closed for the holiday... oh well, I'll just have to go tomorrow before I start the mural.

Have a nice day everyone! :)

madmum
05-15-2003, 02:51 AM
*Chuckling quietly*

You're naughty, Uschi :evil:

Can't possibly tell you the Text message I received last week which made me giggle! I have some very mischievous friends who send lots of risque jokes :o

Not too sure what I'll do today, just going to see how I feel :)
Probably get to paint at some time! lol

Auntie, it's a shame the kitty doesn't sound right for you, she is going to miss out on a wonderful home. I am curious when you say she isn't declawed - is that permanently declawed, or just claws trimmed regularly?

Hugs for those who need them (or just want one!)

Ruth

artmom
05-15-2003, 04:22 AM
To bed at midnight--back up again!

Uschi, TY for corny joke! LOL

Kari, have a good day.

Fookie-Lyn, Hope stockings help feet.:D

Marvin, hope your mural goes well.

Ruth, I'll take that hug--I NEVER turn down a hug!

Happy painting and to AWAYTC, good morning!

M.A.
05-15-2003, 04:59 AM
Morning everyone ((hugs)). Uschi, congrats on starting the thread, early bird.
Tea in hand. Not quite awake yet. But good morning anyway. Back later.
:o

coffee_girl3000
05-15-2003, 06:31 AM
Good morning!

Auntie, I will start wearing white stockings, perhaps they'll catch on and you will feel stylish :). Hope that you can find a solution to foot problem.

Marvin, good luck with the mural! It would petrify me, the size of it, but sure you will paint a masterpiece.

Got some non-Challenge painting done last night, feels good to just be loose and paint. I will post it when done (probably tonight), it's from one of the wonderful sunset photos in Cal's Gallery (http://www.calsgallery.com/). Very inspiring site.

Going to get hair cut this afternoon. I like all the free time I have now school's done!

(((hugs))) to those who need them, smiles to everyone :D.

painterbear
05-15-2003, 06:40 AM
Good morning all,

It is only 6:30 a.m. here in Dayton, the start of the day for me.

Uschi--glad you got to start the Wash today. Naughty joke LOL!

Fookie, Sorry to hear about the troubles with your feet. Do you have a foot rest under your desk when you are on the computer or painting? I used to have one when I worked for an educational publisher in Illinois. They are very comfortable and make sitting for a long stretch easier on the feet, especially if you aren't too tall (like me). You can get them in office supply stores, I think.

Shame the kitty wasn't a match for you AND Shimmie. That is an important factor to be considered now, isn't it.

Kari, Take your camera to the market with you. Lots of colorful photos there that you'll be wanting to paint a year after you get back to the States. Take it from one who knows. ;)

I've been spending time in the projects threads—two in particular, the Postcard Project and the Challenge 2 Project. Even if you aren't participating, there is an awful lot of terrific painting going on for these projects. You might want to give it a view.

Of course, that gives me less time to be on the general Watercolor Forum threads (except for the Daily Wash, of course) or else I'd do nothing but sit at the computer all day.

Have begun painting one of Fookie's cactus flower photos from the RIL. Finding the cactus arms harder to paint than I thought they would be. Haven't started on the flower itself yet.

Hope everyone has time to paint or putter in the garden or just enjoy nice weather in your neck of the woods.

See you later.

ArtWench
05-15-2003, 07:48 AM
Gee, you have to stay up pretty late to be first to post the Daily Wash! LOL!

It is 7:30 here and drizzling.... This doesn't bode well for the Art Show in Buford this weekend. :rolleyes: Trying to get my daughter ready for school after she stayed up until 10 reading. Guess she felt inspired. Yesterday she brought home STAR test results saying that her reading level is between 4.5 and 6.2..... and she is only in the 1st grade!

I had many big plans for yesterday, one of which included a group critique; however, my mom called to tell me that my cousin's son had taken a bad fall from the monkey bars at school and had been rushed to the hospital. I changed gears and prepared to drive an hour to be there when my cousin's other kids got home from school (she's a single mom, bad divorce) and bit my fingernails and worried most of the day. Upshot is the little booger probably has a concussion and now sports a staple in the back of his head holding the gash together. They sent him home from the hospital with instructions to wake him every so often to make sure he doesn't slip into a coma. So yesterday was shot.... But I am relieved he appears to be okay!

Hope everyone has a terrific day!

CharM
05-15-2003, 07:53 AM
Good morning Washuns... It's going to rain this morning... Everything had dried enough yesterday that I thought I'd be able to get into the gardens this weekend... Don't think that's going to happen...

Oh, but glorious sunny and warm yesterday!!! I took my lunch outside to the picnic table by the lake! I could literally feel the stress and tension drain from my neck and shoulders... It was the best time spent of my entire day! Sitting and doing just nothing...

Ushci... LOL on two counts... starting the wash and morning chuckle!!! :D

Kari... happy shopping... muffins smell good...

Fookie... sounds like you have a busy day ahead!!!

Marvin... enjoy your holiday, you'll soon be working and painting hard on that mural!

Ruth, Lyn and Mary-Ann... good morning!!!

Sarah... looking forward to your post!

Sylvia... good luck with your cactus...

Angela... glad that your nephew is ok!!

Pam... when you get here... hope your neighbour came through her surgery ok...

Everyone have a great day!!

Strawberry Wine
05-15-2003, 08:19 AM
Good Day to the Crazy Gang

It is 8:00 am here and the sun is shining. Hopefully it will do so for a few days so I can get more of the garden in this weekend. Took a couple of pics of the front flowerbed this morning while the spring flowers are in their prime.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/13320-daffodils_may.jpg

and

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/13320-snow_in_summer.jpg

The "snow in summer" will be gone in a week or two but it is so pretty right now.

Uschi: Thanks for the chuckle:)

Fookie: Usually after a week or so of ajustment cats and dogs will get along quite well living under the same roof. Kitten is easier than full grown cat.

Angela: Head injuries are soo scary, but he will be right as rain in a day or so.

Sarah: I really enjoy Cal's Gallery website. Very inspiring and looking forward to seeing your painting.

To everyone else, have a great day and (((( Hugs )))) to those of you who need one.

Will check back in later.

Gail

Little Old Lady
05-15-2003, 08:35 AM
Good whatever! Just have time to stop in and say Hi! Am off to take my centerpieces to the volunteer Brunch this morning and then work at the resale shop this afternoon.
Another beautiful day.
Have a good one.
JoAnn

ScarletLake
05-15-2003, 08:37 AM
Hello everyone

Today I have to get to the camera shop to drop off pictures taken of my senior son. He was stubborn last summer & just didn't want to miss work to go have his senior pictures taken. I on the other hand want something. I have a friend who does photography & I got my son in his suit & we went to a nature preserve near us & snapped away. Now to get the film developed & back on Friday. Will pic out one to put in his graduation announcement.

Boy lots of work for this last year. On Monday night we are invited to a dinner for top scholar & scholarship announcements.

Graduation is May 31th.

Then the college mode sets in.

I also have application for a job with the county that I think I would really enjoy. Have to return it by 4 pm on Friday.

This afternoon I am going to try to start a painting for my sisters 40th birthday on May 21st.

Fookie- Sounds like numb feet won't keep you down but I hope they improve for you. I think you got TED hose designed to improve circulation by providing tension to force blood back up to heart.

Keri-Have fun at the craft shop.

Uschi - Cute joke

Tenn Lyn - I believe you have said that you did not graduate from college until 51 yo. What was your degree in?

Sarah - Enjoy your summer. I certainly remember my teen summers. Lots of trips to the beach & boys.

Angela - Glad your cousins son was OK. I am curious. I watch HGTV & they had a show called Dreambuilders & this one family was building a home in Buford I think. Man did they have a tough time with the historic committee. Wondered if this was same town. I am watching the series now & can't wait to see how this home comes out.

Marvin - Lots of luck on the mural painting.

Everyone take care will check back later. Got to get going.

Anita

bluesrbest
05-15-2003, 08:47 AM
Boy, you have to get up pretty early to catch one of these Daily Washes before a dozen people are in! So...this is my first one and I'm glad I looked - got to hear a cute joke (blush) and see some lovely spring flowers. I won't try to remember everyone's name - but will keep trying to know you all as I get more used to everyone.
I'll just wish everyone a wonderful day full of joy and painting!
______
Rhonda
:cat:
P.S. I'ts 8:30 a.m. here in Kentucky and the sun is shining today! Our visiting ducks don't seem worried that we've had the liner on the pool replaced and it WAS clean and neat - they took their morning swim anyway! Guess they think we did it for them...

sisangel
05-15-2003, 09:03 AM
Good Morning Washeroos

I just stopped in to give everyone a big((((((((((((((HUG))))))))))))))

My computer completly crashed over the weekend so I am on a borrowed one now. I'll be up and running by the weekend, I hope. I've missed you all. Can't wait to get back and look at RIL and your paintings again.

Stupid me. 6 weeks ago I had my computer upgraded. They suggested that I put windows XP on at that time. I was trying to save a few bucks and had them put old windows 98 back on. Well, that didn't work. So now I have to have XP and it's going to cost me bucks this time. If I had done it right the first time.... well, you know how the story goes.

Take care and hope to see you soon. Maybe with no computer I can get some paintings done.

Have fun! Bonnie
;)

Uschi
05-15-2003, 09:05 AM
Good Morning again!!!

As Gail said, absoluely gorgeous morning, supposed to rain tomorrow so I better make hay while it lasts.
A bit more gardening (planting some of these beautiful "snow in the summer - see Gail's photos) and maybe sit outside and paint tulips. Will also head to the Arboretum and take photos of the huge area filled with trilliums, looks like a white blanket. Was there yesterday with a friend who had just bought an incredible new digital camera, unfortunately the sun went in more than it came out. By the way, I met this friend on wetcanvas (olika), she lives about 45 minute drive north from here.

Gail, gorgeous garden!!

Sarah, congratulations on your A in french!!!!!!!!!!!

Angela - posted at 12:03, not that late and not that early

Fookie - my neighbour's kittens are now 8 weeks old and sooooo cute. Get a kitten, the smile will not leave your face. Also wanted to say sorry about your foot problem but would be a hypocrate if I'd say this with a sorrowful voice because the thought of the white stockings overpowers the sorrow. Support Hose!!!! Now there is a sure sign of growing older!!!!:evil: :evil: :D

Better get off before she smacks me HA!
Uschi

bswilson1147
05-15-2003, 09:17 AM
Morning, all you painters, bakers, mural painters, white stockings and all....:D

You start my day off with a smile....:p

I'm planning my lessons for the summer session (14 lessons x 2). Thought you might be interested in seeing part of the list...

lighthouse with fog using complementary colors
glass bottles (anybody heard of this before????:D )
Provence landscape with lavender fields
green pepper and other vegetables
trees (thank you Marvin)
mixed media underwater scene with intermingled tiny fish shapes (made by throwing fish shapes amongst the big fish and coral)
cats
metal objects
waves with spray created by using masking fluid
underinking and overinking
spring and fall landscapes (same design, different colors), window with shutter, brick wall and rose
oriental blue and white flower pots....and more.

mustcreate
05-15-2003, 09:35 AM
Happy Thursday Washer friends:)

Beautiful sunny morning here. :clap:

I have to get off of this computer and go tidy up.....my painting buddies Susie (suzpaints) and Lee-Anne are coming over for our weekly painting session. Maybe this week we will actually get our brushes wet....last week we talked for 2 hours straight!! lol

My daughter Ellen, who has been sick for 5 weeks, is finally showing signs of improvement. Her coughing has lessened and she survived a trip to West Edmonton Mall yesterday without complaining of fatigue:p Bad news is, my husband and I have seemed to have picked up whatever virus she had and are busy coughing and being tired. :rolleyes: Hopefully Karly will escape unscathed.....she has a couple of diploma exams coming up next month.

It's a long weekend coming up and I have plans to get out in my yard and tidy up the flower beds to prepare for planting in a couple of weeks. Traditionally the May long weekend is when spring planting occurs, but I've lost all my bedding plants several times when we got a surprise freeze at the end of May and now I wait til June to plant. :)

Not much painting going on here......I hope it's a different situation where you are :)

have a creative day

em

artmom
05-15-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by ScarletLake

Tenn Lyn - I believe you have said that you did not graduate from college until 51 yo. What was your degree in?

Anita

Anita, my degree was a BS in Social Sciences--majored in psychology, sociology, and minored in management

babybrush
05-15-2003, 09:54 AM
Well, I haven't the time to repy to all of you, but (((hugs))) to all who need them. hope everyone gets a chance to paint today.

I talked to a riding friend of mine who i've known for a few months and found out she used to paint, but hasn't got them out in a while. thinking we might get together sometime and paint together which would be fun. been kindof a loner since i started a year and a half ago.

have to decide if i want to contribute more to the portrait or challenge projects or do an independant painting again. don't know if i will get a chance to paint any today, but i'll check back in later.

Bethany

bswilson1147
05-15-2003, 10:04 AM
Just Playing Around

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/14485-mybettyboop.gif

Christie
05-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Morning all!

Hope all who are feeling poorly are doing better soon and those who are feeling great keep on that way.

Auntie, my mother in law wears those stockings and she is impressed at how they have helped her.

It's sunny here so far and I am inspired to paint. As I have to spend some time waiting for a plumber, it's a good day to be inspired. :D

Kids are about to go to school and I may also go visit the art store today post plumber (I need an art supply fix:)).

Need to do some work for my job today as well, but that should take very little time.

Yup, today is full! :D It's my first down day in weeks and I am not quite sure how to deal with it. :D

Edited because my puppy pressed enter before I was ready! :D

al22
05-15-2003, 10:43 AM
Morning all.............gonna be another hot one today.....weather forecast easy from now till September........dry, sunny and hot.....

Fooks I think kitten good idea........that way he/she and Shimmie grow up together and get along....... Kittens don't care what color your socks are:evil: Glad feet better.......

Bizzy day today preparing for trip.......... Going to spend some time in the RL.....get some good ref pics.....

To those hurting........hope better comes your way today......

...................al

lyn lynch
05-15-2003, 11:08 AM
Morning Glories...
HA! I survived the night. LOL Opened the a.c. when I went to bed, what a difference a breeze makes...Al tells you about our weather, open a.c. season now. Yesterday felt like huge storm coming, flies thick at doggie park and cut our time short, many leaving for cooler parts...cowards, but park be a bit less fly-filled.

Yup! Big chuckle, sis was a nurse and I used to tell her "heavy white hose" very attractive for her chunkie ankles. LOL, this was in the early 60s and nurse socks were as heavy as these supporters. You have right idea, Uschi, I LOL'ing right along w/you. Feet still numb, but legs feel like "hugged". LOL, funny.

"Declawed" means claws surgically removed. Feisty kitty, unknown temperment w/dogs and claws intact could be problem for Shim-pup; that is what I was referring to. No thanks, no kittens unless a foundling happens to show up on my doorstep. Rethinking cat at all, just loss of Beauty making me even sillier.

Did I dream we were having an MChew Portrait Project? If so, someone please tell me and I post MChew portrait as regular thread.

Hugs to {{Pamps}} and everyone else, too.! Hi, Big Dog.

bswilson1147
05-15-2003, 02:19 PM
I bought a piece of artwork at an estate sale a few weeks ago. It looked like an original oil. On investigation, I found it was an oil reproduction of a painting called "Boulevard Montmartre, Morning, Grey Weather" by Camille Pissarro. I paid $60 for it and it's in a huge ornate gold frame. On the internet I found it sells for $620. What do you think I should do with it?

sell it on ebay.
keep the frame and get rid of the painting.
hang it on my wall.
:D

Nandie
05-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Good Morning!!!

TMR already... that's what I get for sleeping in!! LOL!!

Auntie, if I were you I'd dye those white hose a lovely shade of lime green or garish purple or something and wear them proudly!! And do keep checking the local animal shelter... sooner or later you're bound to find the right kitty for you & Pup. I'm so glad we went after our Bill (Maine Coon) passed away and we found Taz, another Maine Coon. He could never replace Bill, but he sure helps fill the empty space left behind.

Hoping to finish my WIP today, then I'm going to try painting one of our local Royal Canadian Mounties. I've never painted a horse before so wish me luck!

pampe
05-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Good Thursday, Washers

And Happy Birthdy to the Buddha!

Fooks...I decided I am FINALLY rweady for new kitty......been 3 years...

Thanks for missing me and all the good wishes. Lil's surgery went well and I took here to her nephews lake house for the night.....she did ok until about 9PM (stubborn old girl refused to try the pain meds till too late) :rolleyes: Anyway, I got her home, set up her area to rest ...got food in the fridge and am finally home.....

And to reward me , hubby has a tee time this afternoon with friends! waHOOOO

*should be working*

Hope to be back to normal (well, whatever that is) tomorrow

MARVIN?????? need to talk to you about SARS in S'pore....hubby need to make a trip....what's the official word on the island?

Happy Day , all

Pam

Christie
05-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Just came back from the art store. They had their watercolour sale on right now and I picked up 3 packs of 5 140 lb CP watercolour paper for $19.95 CAN (that somewhere around $12 US). The size that I paint, this is almost a lifetime supply. :D That's less than 1/2 the price I normally pay. I may have to go back... :)

Now, the house it quiet and I am going to paint.. :)

M.A.
05-15-2003, 03:46 PM
Fookie - you wern't dreaming, I did submit the project for Marvin's portrait but it hasn't made it through the que yet.

Happy day everyone!

lyn lynch
05-15-2003, 05:27 PM
Thanks, MA, good to know at least one remembrance is "real". LOL
Pamps! So glad to hear you in kitty mode...Gol" I love them so much..just not sure if I'm ready for it either...actually KNOW I am not, but if a special one hits me...that's how it was when I found the Beauty, too. Still just in shock that she is gone. But a Maine Coon, now that's a CAT. Get that kind Pamps.

Uschi
05-15-2003, 05:38 PM
Hi Pam!!! Nice to have you back!!!
Uschi

yahooserious
05-15-2003, 06:13 PM
Hello everyone. Just stopped in for a moment and read Fookie's message about the kitten in the shelter. Fookie, if you read this, when we went to the shelter to get a kitten for Molly, our Cairn that has since died...I miss her very much.., we took Molly with us. She loved cats & so to be sure the cat would like her, we had her check the ones we thought would be nice. We still have Spot, he's a pretty laid back cat, and our other dogs like him fine, they're just not cat lovers... Someday I hope to have another Cairn..They are a bundle of fun, very energetic and love to play..

Emilie