PDA

View Full Version : Macro of First Flower Attempt

Annetta
05-14-2003, 06:52 PM
Approx. 9x12, Arches140cp, WN Paints - Winsor Blue, Winsor Yellow, Winsor Violet, Permanent Rose, Cadmimum Red, Burnt Umber.

Motivated by all the beautiful flower paintings being posted recently, I decided to give it a whirl. This was an exercise I did From Splash 4 - The Splendor of Light. "Piquant Peony" by Ann Pember.

What fun this was!! :clap: Ended up with some good spots and some 'mud' :p :D but what a learning experience. I tried different color combinations, wet in wet, glaze over glaze, etc. "If I do this, this happens, etc. During this exercise, I did discover I dislike dark greens (leaves) and dark 'anything'. :rolleyes: I think they are very difficult. But, I know it can be done because I see beautiful paintings here by Artists who incorporate awesome darks. Also, I just wasn't quite able to capture that bright yellow, yellow/orange try as I may. I mixed and mixed....any suggestions?

The flowers in our yard are starting to open. I have a Dr. Rupple Clematis that is begging to be photographed, so that's my next step and will attempt to paint from a photograph.

Thanks for looking!!

Reference
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2003/16337-Peony_Reference.JPG

My Version
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2003/16337-Peony.JPG

CharM
05-14-2003, 07:10 PM
... and who'd a thunk learning could be fun and end up with beautiful results????????? I love this!!!

M.A.
05-14-2003, 07:16 PM
I love the way you've captured the light in these petals. Very lovely!
:clap:

Nitsa
05-14-2003, 07:22 PM
YUM!
This piece "FEELS" like a flower!......Beautiful light in there and a fabulous technique....A winner....WD!
Looking forward to more of your florals and maybe some photos too! :D

artmom
05-14-2003, 07:47 PM
Great!

al22
05-14-2003, 07:49 PM
Ahh.......looks great.......Now go to WC library and search for a nice macro and do one of your own....... bossy, huh??:D
..........al

mhimeswc
05-14-2003, 07:49 PM
I think peonies are one of the hardest flowers to paint. It looks like you did a really good job. I love Ann Pember's flowers, and would love to paint like her myself.

Michelle

artijan
05-14-2003, 08:30 PM
Lots of light in this flower and all those petals!!! It's lovely.

Jan

Annetta
05-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Thank you Char. Can always count on you to peek and say something kind :)

Thanks Fun!! This book is incredible, showing how the artists leave the white showing for awesome sunshine/light effects.

Thank you Nitsa!! Coming from you and your abilities, what a compliment! Yep, am going to try more florals. :D

Thank you Al! I don't mind bossy at all....as long as I have the final say...:evil: Just kidding :D I took your advice and cruised the reference library. I have chosen a rose and will start on it tomorrow.

Thank you Michelle! I will admit, it wouldn't have turned out as well if I hadn't had the reference painting to go from. Can't take a lot of credit since the finished watercolor was right under my nose. But like I said, I learned much! :D

Thank you Jan! Yep, I love all the light in the flower. Am going to 'attempt' to incorporate more of that in my future paintings.

Thanks all for looking and commenting. It's 'niters' for me. See ya all tomorrow :D

Uschi
05-14-2003, 11:31 PM
Well, well !!!!!Annetta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You did a super job!!!!!

I happen to have Pember's book here ans checked up on a demonstration where she shows the same yellow and it is New Gamboge and Permanent Rose giving it that orangy glow. New Gamboge alone is a pretty nice yellow too (warm).

Uschi

madmum
05-15-2003, 03:32 AM
Very nicely done, I must do some exercises from my many books!

Uschi, I just discovered the new gamboge/perm. rose mix, it's a beautiful orange!

(Hope you share your clematis photo, Annetta!!!!!)

Ruth

Yorky
05-15-2003, 06:31 AM
Luscious!

You sure chore a complicated bloom for your first macro!

Doug

Annetta
05-15-2003, 08:22 AM
Thanks for looking and the kind words Uschi :D And THANK YOU for the color combinations for the orange :clap: I mixed so many colors I can't believe I didn't try those two, but obviously I didn't.

Thanks for peeking Ruth. I see you've already tried the New Gamboge and Perm. Rose mix. I can't wait to get home and try it too!! :D I'm waiting to take a photgraph of the Clematis as I'd like to get 3 of them kind of clustered. More are ready to bloom so hoping this happens. If not, I'll at least take a photo of just one as they are large.

Doug, coming from a master of macros, himself, I feel honored by your comments. :clap: Yep, that's me. Take off in a dead run instead of walking first :p :p I've started a rose from the reference library. This will be a true test :p

Darren
05-15-2003, 09:45 AM
Beautiful job--wish my learning experiences turned out this way!

Can't wait to see the next one.

thanks

darren

Yorky
05-15-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Annetta
Doug, coming from a master of macros, himself, I feel honored by your comments. :clap: Yep, that's me. Take off in a dead run instead of walking first :p :p I've started a rose from the reference library. This will be a true test :p

You make me blush:o I'm like you, thought I'd have a go after seiing the womderful images by Mustcreate and other experts. Mine are relatively simple compared with your peony.

Doug

painterbear
05-15-2003, 11:13 AM
Nice job on this macro exercise, Annetta. You got a double whammy out of it, you had fun and you learned different techniques to use when you do your next one.

Darks are so-o-o-o hard for a lot of us. I tend to do watery washes and you have to do so many layers of those to get it dark. When I try using a richer color mix (less water), they don't look transparent. What to do? Keep practicing until I get just the right blend, I guess.