PDA

View Full Version : Yupo WIP

bluesrbest
05-14-2003, 05:51 PM
Here's the yupo painting I've been working on. Copper and glass. Interesting substance, yupo and it can be frustrating but you have to just let it go and see what happens and tickle it until it smiles at you! Can't scan the whole painting (1/2 sheet yupo) so have to go at this in bits.
Suggestions for improvements, changes along the way?
______
Rhonda
:cat:

bluesrbest
05-14-2003, 05:52 PM
Would have helped if I'd turned it around!
Sorry,
______
Rhonda

M.A.
05-14-2003, 05:54 PM
Wow! You did a fantastic job!!! You really know how to tickle the yupo! (I'm still waiting for my samples to arrive.)

:clap:

jkook
Nice painting. Excellent control for yupo.

bluesrbest
Hope this is easier to see - don't want you all getting crooked necks!
______
Rhonda

Uschi
05-14-2003, 05:57 PM
Fantastic!!!!! Can't wait for more!!!!!
Uschi

bluesrbest
05-14-2003, 05:57 PM
Thanks, Jim. It comes from being a bit anal - just touching the paint on the paper.
Fun2Cook - you will either love it or hate it - there doesn't seem to be any inbetween with this stuff. Just make sure you have big enough sheets to work on - a small sheet will drive you crazy.
______
Rhonda

babybrush
05-14-2003, 06:03 PM
lovely work. can't wait to see it done... would like to see a real closeup so i can see your brushstrokes. i like that,

Bethany

Nitsa
05-14-2003, 06:07 PM
My sample sheets were the size of a ciggarette packet! :(
This is going to be stunning...I am already excited by the pencil marks just infront of the objects which lead me to believe that some wonderful shadows will be coming...Oooooh, can hardly wait!
Great glasswork!

CharM
05-14-2003, 06:38 PM
Oh my gosh, the objects read so true!!! Those mason jars are fabulous!! The watering can is so brassy!!! I'm so impressed!!!

marilyn h
05-14-2003, 07:48 PM
This is so WONDERFUL! Such great control!

mhimeswc
05-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Rhonda, I don't know how you did it. I can't make anything but abstracts on my yupo, and I don't even do abstracts :-)

This is really great.

Michelle

artmom
05-14-2003, 08:10 PM
I wasn't even going to look, because I haven't particularly cared for other works on Yupo, but this is fantastic!

Little Old Lady
05-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Wonderful! Can't imagine how you got that control on Yupo.
JoAnn

macmaam
05-14-2003, 08:27 PM
Looking really fine!!

Aselka
05-14-2003, 08:41 PM
Wonderful work! I love Yupo myself and still exploring all opportunities. Colors came up so vivd and bold.

Aselka

NeerlysGal
05-14-2003, 09:04 PM
This is stunning:clap:

I am going to have to try Yupo soon;)

bluesrbest
05-14-2003, 09:44 PM
Well, you all have me dancing on clouds! I'm so happy you like it. However - I do need some help with the shadow areas. Any suggestions for colors and shapes. There are some graphite lines there and going to do a big, floppy flower in the pot with greens hanging over (if I can - at this point I'm afraid to mess it all up). But...stumped with the shadows. Dark copper and green at the bottom of the pot and just light green showing next to the jar? Should I show some of the floppy flower color (pinkish) in the shadow by the pot, too?
Thank you all for all your comments. So glad you like it so far - got my fingers crossed that it still works when I'm done (with this stuff, I could end up with a totally different painting - that pot changed colors on my 3 times from the start).
______
Rhonda
Michelle, the first time I did yupo, I did it on a small freebie piece from Cheap Joes and I was pulling my hair out and still had an awful mess of a painting. Go big size paper and not so much water water water - more paint, letting the juicy stuff go just where you want it - move that paper around, tipping and turning until you get good movement. I'm just a beginner with this, but think I'm going to like doing more.

karenjh
05-14-2003, 09:58 PM
Looks great so far - and I thought you couldn't control paint on Yupo - you've proved that to be wrong! Looking forward to seeing more.

painterbear
05-15-2003, 07:11 AM
This is absolutely gorgeous! I love your copper pot and the bottles are wonderful too.

You really seem to have learned the secret of working with YUPO. Lots of paint and not too much water. It took me a while to catch on because I normally work with thin washes on regular paper.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next. Sorry I can't help with your question, but I think you'll do fine anyway ;) seeing what you've done so far.

bluesrbest
05-15-2003, 08:37 AM
Thank you, Karenjh and Sylvia. I'm still working at it! This was done after watching my teacher do yupo - I call her the Queen of Yupo because she loves it so much, she does almost nothing else. I took a big leap in learning because she spent 4 year's fussing with it and all I had was to soak up her knowledge of it's properties, etc. My first yupo I did alone before I saw someone work on it, was a disaster!
______
Rhonda

bluesrbest
05-15-2003, 08:39 AM
Forgot to mention a thank you to Aselka and Tracie, too! I just love the immediate feedback one gets here at wetcanvas and think I, too, might become a wetcanvas addict!
______
Rhonda

els
05-15-2003, 09:10 AM
What a control!!! Rhonda, you are doing an excellent job...

bluesrbest
05-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Hi everyone! Hope you're having a wonderful day today!
Here's the almost final version - I know I need some more darks in that greenery but it doesn't want to hold the paint today. I had to stitch 2 pieces for the whole so bear with me on that - I'm not good at stitching (either by computer, by hand or by sewing machine). Also - I will post just the upclose of the shadows and please tell me what it needs. That seems to have me stumped - don't know if I'm not getting it dark enough, not putting the right colors in, or it's the shape of the things.
Thanks again,
______
Rhonda

bluesrbest
05-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Just the shadow bits....
______
Rhonda

babybrush
05-15-2003, 12:33 PM
lovely!! if you post the lower half at the same reslution i'd be glad to stitch em for ya

Bethany

babybrush
05-16-2003, 10:43 AM
almost more trouble than it was worth, but i promised so i will deliver.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/11882-yupo1.JPG

Still missing a piece.

Bethany

bluesrbest
05-16-2003, 11:00 AM
Bethany, I'm so sorry for the mess. It is hard to stitch these all together. And I guess I didn't scan them correctly - should have done it in 4 separate pieces. So, just don't worry about it - you tried to get it to look more cohesive - and it looks ok - the main thing is the shadowy parts and if they read correctly. Other than that, I'm happy with the way it turned out.
Thanks again, for your help with this - wetcanvas people are great!!!
______
Rhonda

moo67
05-16-2003, 11:25 AM
Rhonda this is just fantastic......Yupo is really a challenge and i think you have mastered it brilliantly.
Moo:clap: :clap: :clap:

babybrush
05-16-2003, 11:26 AM
no problem. don't know anything about working on yupo, but the shadow could be a little more solid. right now it looks more like a reflection. looks good as a reflection though

Bethany

mhimeswc
05-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Rhonda, I do think your shadows need to be darker. I hesitate to give advice about anything painted on yupo though. I am amazed at what you have done on this painting. The copper is fantastic. Do you think you can do another WIP with more steps starting right from the beginning?

Michelle

bluesrbest
05-16-2003, 11:42 AM
Thanks, Moo67 and Bethany (again - you were so sweet to help me out) and Michelle. Maybe those shadows should be darkened under the pot. I know it's not right as is. Haven't sprayed it to seal it yet so I can go back and try again.
Another one? Well, I was going to try a sea turtle for the WcW project and I could do a WIP with smaller steps. At least, I can try. Scarey thought, though!
______
Rhonda

Gilberte
05-16-2003, 01:46 PM
I've never seen such control on Yupo ! Good !

moo67
05-17-2003, 02:33 AM
Rhonda i for one would love to see you do a WIP with Yupo that would be great.
Moo

Uschi
05-17-2003, 07:08 AM
Turned out fantastic Rhonda!!!
Uschi

M.A.
05-17-2003, 07:19 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Minibrush
05-17-2003, 09:55 AM
Oh wow!!!:clap: This is great, Rhonda. I bow to your mastery of yupo. This is just fabulous and fascinating.

I would dearly LOVE to see your sea turtle project. I can almost picture the possibilities on yupo.

BTW, may I ask what spray do you use to seal it? I've tried several on the Ivorine to get some very unusual and devastating effects.

Minibrush

bluesrbest
05-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Gilbert, Moo67, Uschi and fun2cook. Your kind words fill me with sunshine on this dreary, rainy day! And minibrush, you made me laugh - I have no mastery of yupo - this is only the 2nd one I've done and the first was horrid!
As for sealing, I've been told to go to WalMart and buy the Krylon matte finish spray. So that's what I'm gonna do. Since this is the only one that turned out decent, I will seal it. Still debating over the shadows, though and just letting it sit and rest.
Thanks again, everyone, for their comments and help.
______
Rhonda