PDA

View Full Version : Any Better???

al22
05-14-2003, 05:03 PM
Still working on this *^%%*( picture............lol.......Now you have to take a test......!
A. It's better......
B. It's better but it still sucks...........lol
C. It's better but it still needs ___________.
D. Chuck the sucker and start over...............:D

O, well at least it's been a learning experience. I've learned I never wanna do an aerial perspective again...........lol.........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2003/8880-davehomestead2wc.jpg

...........................al

Christie
05-14-2003, 05:05 PM
This is MUCH better than the first one I saw. :) I like this alot. :)

Bubba's Mama
05-14-2003, 05:09 PM
Hey Al, I vote for letter E!

E - turn it over and do another!!

Frankly I would be thrilled if my beginner efforts turned out even half as good, so I have not business adding my two cents! Just couldn't resist.:evil:

Susan

Nitsa
05-14-2003, 05:12 PM
ROFL!

Didn't see the last one, so I can't compare but I do know that you have done a wonderful job with a really tough perspective....Such detail...WD!

M.A.
05-14-2003, 05:37 PM
I remember thinking that I liked the last one. I can't see the same problems you do with this. The only thing that may be missing from my perspective is the flow ... things seem a little choppy. Try another and give us links to the first two threads so we can compare. :evil:

CharM
05-14-2003, 06:44 PM
Al... I hate quizes... I like what you did to the roof tops. But, what did you do to the trees? I hope it's just my monitor...

lyn lynch
05-14-2003, 06:47 PM
Bah! Aint' you kids ever seen a setting from an airplane? Everything flat in value, and furrows are darker bits, not necessary in line w/each other.

A. Improved

In fact, I like it. Especially the house and outbuildings. Looks just like a working farm, with only the tractor missing. No buildings outside the compound and just furrowed rows, ruts and boulders. Like it.

Annetta
05-14-2003, 07:07 PM
Al, that would be a big letter "A"!! You've made changes that improved on a difficult perspective to begin with. Great job!! :clap: :clap:

al22
05-14-2003, 07:42 PM
Hello All......brave enough to respond...............lol
My wife has removed all sharp objects from my office so there really is no need to fear.......

Christie......ty.........in RL it looks better...at least to me...... still not happy but hey.......sometimes ya just don't get what ya want..
Susan go to back of the class..... E not option..:evil:
Anita....ty........very hard........would probably be easy for some..
F2C......it is choppy..........
Char........nope, not your monitor..........some of the trees died in the process......
Fooks......ty......lo and behold someone has taken an airplane ride.....it still sucks.....but from a plane....everything sucks........lol

Just for kicks....here is the wonderful ref foto I have been going from...... Behind the front barn there is a 50 foot difference in elevation.......
And the barn in the back.....is not uphill as the road might indicate but on the same leve, if not below, the large farm house itself...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2003/8880-davefarm.jpg

ty for comments.....
.........al

artmom
05-14-2003, 08:03 PM
Al, I think you did a good job with a tough subject. I think the man who commissioned it will like it!

macmaam
05-14-2003, 08:11 PM
Definitely not one for the scrap pile! The landscape colors and treatment are really nice, especially the way you have pulled some of the highlight colors out into the surrounding area.

A couple things you might consider: the details on the house(s) are about equally as crisp as on the front barn, and the same with the colors. Think about pushing them back and blurring some edges. Also, it seems that what gives the driveway the "waterfall" effect is the very light area around the curve.

Strawberry Wine
05-14-2003, 09:36 PM
Hi Al: I didn't vote because somehow I missed the first one.

Very difficult perspective but it looks quite like the reference photo.

I have to admit, that I thought the road from main barn was a waterfall until I saw the reference. It could be all the blue shadows you placed in the road. I do find it a bit choppy. Maybe too much mid tone green. I find working with a lot of greens has a muddy feel to it. It seems that somewhere along the way you lost the light airy feel that I think should be there in this arial view. Someone posted in one of my portrait attempts that it looked like I was trying to draw with my brush and that is the feeling I am getting with this.

Al,
This is probably my most critical critique I have ever posted and I may be way off in left field and talking through my hat. That being said, some positive stuff, I like the way you have portrayed the building rooves (or is that roofs) and you have portrayed the arial perspective very well. Waiting to see more.

Gail

painterbear
05-15-2003, 07:21 AM
Hi Al,

I think the answer is C--definitely better than before but the road going from the house to the road passing in front of the barn seems to be going up a hill in your painting, but in the photo reference it looks curved but almost flat. Not sure why that is except your road is wider than the one in the photo at the point where the curve begins.

This wasn't a very inspiring photo so I can see why your wife wisely removed sharp objects from the studio. :evil:

Bill J
05-15-2003, 07:44 AM
Al I'm a pilot and it looks OK to me. I guess what your saying is you will stick with landscapes and not try skyscapes again lol

bill

Jijo
05-15-2003, 08:59 AM
Al, I think is better but...
Ref pif didnīt help,for two reasons:
a) It has no shadows
b) very centered composition, good for describing, bad for an art masterpiece...

So, you can inprove this by cropping as to ancenter it
Invent a strong shadow scheme to give volume to houses and to put them in land (they seem floating)
Put a focus, not several by loosing the others.
Hide parts of the road, just suggest it.
Increase values in front, vanish backstage.

You can save a lot of it, donīt need to redo.

Alex, in a very critical mood or may be a very architectural point of view...

Darren
05-15-2003, 09:16 AM
Al, I think this is a vast improvement over the first one. I particularly like how you've changed the buildings, though the shadows don't seem to be consistent across all the buildings--not really sure of the sun angle. Agree with previous posts about the "waterfall" from the barn--after seeing the reference picture, I "read" it right in the painting, but not before.

This was a tough picture to work from! My hat's off to you for the progress you've made, and I'd be happy to have it. BTW, I have an aerial of my house (in color) if you'd like to do an experiment... :)

darren

geof
05-15-2003, 10:48 AM
Real tough job from that photo Al.
I'll go for C. I think it needs the vignette treatment. Fade off all
four corners and the composition will look much better. :)

al22
05-15-2003, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the good critiques, comments and suggestions.....
Appreciate them...........
...........al

mustcreate
05-15-2003, 10:56 AM
much improved Al!!

I really mean that. this has more depth than the first version IMHO. I like the blues you've injected....breaks up all that green.

the light source is better defined and makes for a more interesting view.

I have NO problem with the composition. angles of roads and fields bring eye all through the painting and back again.

omg what a nightmare of a photo you had to work from.:eek:

put this one to rest and look at it again when you get back. :)

em

al22
05-15-2003, 10:59 AM
Best idea yet, em...........lol
thanks........
.....al

vestalqueen
05-15-2003, 12:01 PM
Hi, Al. I'm impressed that you haven't cracked before now. This photo isn't very inspirational at best. I think I see a couple of teeny things that could be throwing the perspective off a wee bit. They can be repaired with a wash or two. I took the liberty of ruining a copy of your painting with Photoshop. The road in the photograph is narrower before it turns upward toward the barn. Also, the perspective is "flattened" a bit by the angle of the furrows in the lower right field. The photo angle is slightly more horizontal. I've blocked out the field with green so you can see how not having the lines there sort of alters the perspective on the remainder of the piece. Other than that, I think you've done an outstanding job. I love the palette - it reminds me of places around these parts. Moooooo!

Erin

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/18713-experimentalal22.jpg

al22
05-15-2003, 12:10 PM
Thank you Erin.....yes, narrowing that road does help......and altho the field is fallow, need to get lines in proper alignment...
Appreciate the PS work.....
........al

Bill J
05-15-2003, 01:39 PM
Al looking at the photo it tells you a few things if you are a pilot. Fish the field in front is plowed [most fields are plowed from east to west to catch max sun.] Second there is little tree shadow so the pi was probably takenabout 11am or 1 pm. The shadows I CAN SEE LOOK LIKE ITS ABOUT 2PM AND THE TOP OF THE PICTURE WOULD BE NORTH AND LOWE

Bill J
05-15-2003, 01:42 PM
got bumped in the last thred sory to continue the lower part of the pic would be sout, ask the guy who gave you the pic if the road diaginal across the pic is going north and south and you will know for sure--hope this doesn't confuse the issue
bill

Gilberte
05-15-2003, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't change a thing !

rks
05-15-2003, 02:23 PM
Hi Al, You've pulled it off!!! Had no doubt that you would. Congratulations. Time to deliver it to the client and go paint something fun .

Roberta:cat: