PDA

View Full Version : Landscapes???

Nitsa
05-14-2003, 03:29 PM
I don't know much about landscape painting at all. Last night I painted this, "Golden" with the scraps on my palette...Just doodled!
When I stood back I quite liked it but remember seeing written somewhere that the horizon line should always be straight.....Is that correct????? Is it a MUST?
I have to say that I think it hinders this painting, which is such a shame 'cos I was really pleased with my imaginary lighthouse :( LOL!

Thanx for your help and advice! :) and sorry about the digi pic :(.......A new camera is on my Christmas list! ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2003/18769-Golden.JPG

bluesrbest
05-14-2003, 04:54 PM
Nitsa, once you know the rules, aren't you allowed to break them? I like this a lot. The sky and the reflection of the sun in the water are lovely. So, if you think it would detract from the painting to paint the horizon line straight, leave it this way. Will wait to see what the landscape artists say about it.
______
Rhonda
:cat:

DaZZer
05-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Horizons have got to be flat Nitsa, Its a shame because its very atmospheric and nicely painted.. what you could do though is to position the paper under the mount so the horizon is flat and then call the painting 'the crooked lighthouse' :D

al22
05-14-2003, 05:22 PM
If your horizon line is not straight, your water will run off your paper.........:D

..........al

Nitsa
05-14-2003, 05:29 PM
TY for your lovely comments Rhonda!
Dazzer.....Hey, that actually looks ok...TY for saving this piece for me, I rather like it! ;)
Al......LOL!..OK, I get the message!
:p

seedy
05-14-2003, 05:54 PM
Nitsa;
What a delightful question. I pretty sure the answer is yes...but if you're ever hanging in the Leaning Tower of Pisa you would be bang on.
Of course you could rework and rename it " Italian Lighthouse"..and hang it horizontal as one of the others suggested.
All in fun Nitsa! I think that's what this should be about.
I can't wait to read some of the others.
Well done, take care,
Brian

Nitsa
05-14-2003, 05:59 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2003/18769-Golden-Level.JPG
Well?????? Any better????? LOL!

CharM
05-14-2003, 06:40 PM
ROFLOL!!!

Melusine
05-14-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Nitsa
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2003/18769-Golden-Level.JPG
Well?????? Any better????? LOL!

I did think there was improvement over the first one, except that now the lighthouse seems to be leaning a bit toward the left...

;)

Nitsa
05-14-2003, 07:00 PM
I did think there was improvement over the first one, except that now the lighthouse seems to be leaning a bit toward the left... Thanx for commenting Melusine...Don't worry about the lighthouse, it's fine 'cos it's an Italian lighthouse now!
LOL! ;)

jti
05-14-2003, 07:10 PM
what you could do though is to position the paper under the mount so the horizon is flat and then call the painting 'the crooked lighthouse'

OR - you could leave it as is and call it - "Lighthouse among the rolling hills" :D

I like your practice pic too!

jti

seedy
05-15-2003, 09:39 AM
Hi,
Thought about your painting a little and without actually seeing the painting perhaps you could try
painting the horizon line as a very distant shore line.
Perhaps a mixture that would give a light blue or grey that would just suggest a shoreline. Start the straight horizon line just a little bit above the left side of the ocean. ( 5 to 10mm's)
Measure that distance from the bottom of the paper and transfer it to the right side, then lightly connect the two for your horizon. I know this is awfully mechanical...
Paint in that space with the light mix and bring the wash right back over the ocean, but not over the rocks, adding clean water to the brush, using the largest brush possible...if you go over the ocean more than once, the paint will smudge or lift.
I know this will change the look and feel of your original intentions, but I know I learn a lot that way.
Have fun, take care,
Brian

gealflings
05-15-2003, 10:19 AM
Hehehehhe - I like the leaning lighthouse - I'd hang it in my living room for sure.. :D (I've also got a really odd sense of interior decor, so it would match perfectly.. lol) I really like the color scheme, it looks like a tornado sky (Hey! The reason the lighthouse is about to tip over!! LOL)

Very cool!