PDA

View Full Version : staining and non-staining colors

rapolina
05-14-2003, 08:05 AM
i'm very interested in what i can get from each color I use, so i take much care if it is permanent (staining) or not. they allows different results.
what about you? or is it an exaggeration?

ciao, rapolina.:cat:

bluesrbest
05-14-2003, 10:25 AM
Rapolina, because I seem to do a lot of lifting out (more than I should), I stay away from staining colors. When I buy colors, I check out the catalog to see if they are staining or not. I think it does make a difference, laying another color down on top of one that still has a lot of it stained onto the paper.
______
Rhonda
:cat:

rapolina
05-14-2003, 10:48 AM
thank you Rhonda... you got the point: lifting the colors! i think it is a great way to get special effect and non staining also allow to loose the strokes.

i noticed that many painters use phtalo and quin colors, while i avoid them as too staining for me.

ciao, rapolina.

Allegro
05-14-2003, 11:49 AM
Hi Rap;

Non staining paints are sooo delicate, I just love them too.

I am still very new at this but it's just that sometimes I want to balance out the painting with dark, darks and these darks I find hard to get with non stainers.

Yes I have to plan a little more carefully (LOL) when using stainers but I can get the darker values I need.

Also, my art instructor told me to apply glazes in order of stainers first then non stainers (so that the delicate paint is laid over top of the stronger paint) and when mixing stainers with non stainers, start with the delicate non stainer paint and add only a little at a time of the more powerful stainer.

How do you get dark darks?

Leslie

rapolina
05-14-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Allegro
sometimes I want to balance out the painting with dark, darks and these darks I find hard to get with non stainers.
How do you get dark darks?

Leslie

you're right leslie, darks are difficult to be achieved with non staining... i use also some staining colors, i'm not peremtory!
adding FUB or sienna to a color it gets darker. but i generally love light colors.

ciao, rap' :cat: .

Johnab
05-14-2003, 12:22 PM
I am rather new at watercolor, so have purposely chosen non-staining colors for my palette. Perhaps I am overly cautious ( or timid). I figure I will be better able to "correct" if I can scrub and lift color. I too sometimes need more intense colors for darker areas. Allegro's art instructor's advice seems a good practice to follow. Thanks, Allegro.