View Full Version : WIP: Pink Rose,

Phillip
05-14-2003, 01:52 AM
Hello All.

Here is my 2nd attempt at painting a rose,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2003/21263-Rose.jpg

Nandie
05-14-2003, 01:56 AM
Atta boy, Phillip!! Looking forward to seeing this develop. And don't worry so much about mistakes - we've all made them and either had to scrub off part of a painting or start all over. You'll do just fine!

**sitting back to watch**

harmony
05-14-2003, 02:15 AM
This is looking really good. Keep up the good work :clap:

Nitsa
05-14-2003, 03:26 AM
I think you'll find pink alot easier to work with.
*Watching*

M.A.
05-14-2003, 06:13 AM
Good color values and shape happening in this painting. I like the way you've handled the leaves too. I think you have a natural instinct and look forward to seeing more.

artmom
05-14-2003, 06:14 AM
Looking nice and loose, Phillip!

matingara
05-14-2003, 08:07 AM
I like it. I don't know why it appeals to me so much. I think I do not have the knowledge yet to explain. But - yes - i like it alot.

Well done.

Uschi
05-14-2003, 08:09 AM
So far so good!!! Will be watching!!!!
Uschi

Phillip
05-14-2003, 08:34 AM
Thank you all for the comments.
Will be posting another update tommorrow.

May I ask, for some help on how I should do the background.?
This is where I mucked up my first attemp, I don't want to do the same on this one.

Annetta
05-14-2003, 08:40 AM
Looking good Phillip!! Nice job on the leaves.

Oh, the background....sorry can't help you with that :( Will let the more knowledgeable ones step in. A lot of leaves to work around :rolleyes: but I know you can do it!! :clap: :clap:

CharM
05-14-2003, 10:36 AM
Phillip, this has a very pleasing "airy" effect to it... and pink is much easier to work with!!! I really like what you've done so far... Because your composition is quite busy, I'm not sure that it will need a background... Why don't you finish up your leaves and anything more you feel you need with your rose and then make the decision about a background...

rapolina
05-14-2003, 10:40 AM
it seems to me a sweet kiss!
beautiful the flower, IMHO the leaves are a little "stiff".

ciao, rapolina.

coffee_girl3000
05-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Lovely rose! Looks like the bright pink ones in my garden. I don't think a background is necessary.

Two nits: stems are very thin. Unusually so. Is this a certain type of rose with very thin stems?
And...leaves on my pink roses are a very, very dark green. Are you going to darken them?

Phillip
05-14-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by coffee_girl3000
Lovely rose! Looks like the bright pink ones in my garden. I don't think a background is necessary.

Two nits: stems are very thin. Unusually so. Is this a certain type of rose with very thin stems?
And...leaves on my pink roses are a very, very dark green. Are you going to darken them?

Thanks for the tip.

The stems are not Finnish ed as yet. its just a outline of the stems so I can see if it works or not.

After I put in the background I will paint in the stems.

The leaves will be darken a bit, but not a lot more. Mainly the ones up top, I will darken just a few on the bottom.

I don't want to loose the nice granulation I have on them, it's hard to pick on the image here, on the original it looks much better.

I will try to scan it a bit better next step.

I think I will add more leaves & than do a simple background.

I think if I will have a simple background I will need more leaves. I don't want the background to be distracting at all.

I am going to try to make the main focusing point of the painting the rose. Hence why I am not using a very dark green.

Don't know how well it will work, but will fine out soon
:)

I know the leaves do look dead, but run out of time yesterday, did not get a chance to finnish the leaves, Hopefully will today.

Phillip
05-16-2003, 07:54 AM
Just a quick not to say, have not had a chance to do any more on the rose painting as yet, been a bit busy with work & other commitments.

Should be able to get to it on Sunday.