PDA

View Full Version : First commission...wc

M.A.
05-13-2003, 08:25 PM
This is a study for my first watercolor commission. The study is 5"x7" but the actual painting will be 11"x15"" ... I did this to sort out issues when I try it again on a larger scale. In particular, I'm looking for a critique on composition and color choices. The cat is greyish/cinnamonish and the vases holding the flowers are all green. The house is off-white. The reference pic I'm working from, the table where the cat sits is green but I've made it blue ... or would a different color be better? In any event, I am looking for any and all feedback to help me when I attempt it in a larger size. I haven't put in the whiskers yet ... she has long white whiskers, rather than scrape them out, I think I'll try guache for them (I just don't have a bottle of it yet).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/18725-daisymaestudy3.gif

Pippin
05-13-2003, 10:05 PM
Congratulations on your first commission!I like the way the cat looks against the blue.The cat gets lost against that brown container behind it`s shoulder.More contrast in this area or even changing the color of the container will help.Hope you will let us see your finished painting.

Paul Hopkinson
05-14-2003, 03:51 AM
Mary this looks great. Difficult subject with a window backlight as well. Maybe a touch of a highlight in the cats eye to add a little sparkle, only the size of a pin prick though. A tiny bit of acrylic paint should do it.

Paul

M.A.
05-14-2003, 05:52 AM
Thanks for looking and commenting Pippin and Paul.

I agree the painting is too busy now and the cat gets a little lost both by the barrel behind her and the flowers. A highlight in the eye is a good suggestion too.

Thanks again.

RachelG*
05-14-2003, 02:11 PM
This looks great so far! i can't wait to see the final painting!!!!!

M.A.
05-14-2003, 10:19 PM
Thanks Rachel for looking and commenting. I'll be starting the commission over the next couple of days. I'll post an update here (if I don't completely mess it up lol).