PDA

View Full Version : Coffee and Roses

marilyn h
05-13-2003, 07:53 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/4759-Coffee_Pot_and_Rose_OPa.jpg

Oil Pastel on gray fleck paper Still life!

Sueb
05-13-2003, 07:59 PM
It's great to see more oil pastels appearing here. I love that green pot and the pink from the flowers that it is picking up. Good choice of colors.

Sue

sundiver
05-13-2003, 09:16 PM
Ooohh, nice one!
What kind of o.p.s do you use?

marilyn h
05-13-2003, 09:24 PM
O.P.S?

Mikki Petersen
05-14-2003, 12:03 AM
Very nice still life. I love the way you worked all those complimentary colors into the pot. Really nice!

artbabe21
05-14-2003, 12:11 AM
terrific painting! Oil Pastel set? Is that what she meant? Can you actually blend the oil pastels?

E-J
05-14-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by marilyn h
O.P.S?

op's / ops / o.p.'s / o.p.s = oil pastels :)

Very pretty, Marilyn.

Smudger
05-14-2003, 05:36 AM
very nice... great colours and style:clap:

meowmeow
05-14-2003, 07:16 AM
Very nice. I love that pot!

Sandy

doe
05-14-2003, 07:33 AM
Great colors,form and application style!

marilyn h
05-14-2003, 07:38 AM
Thank you all for looking. I know I don't post here very often but I appreciate your responding. OPs are so old that I don't know what brand they are. I am surprised that they haven't dried up. Someday, if I decided I like this medium, I will invest in some name brands.
You know, I read, I believe in this forum, that you can use baby oil. THere must be a trick to that. So the old finger and cloth is what I used.
I saw an artist in town using a soft stencil brush. I need to buy one. I think that might work.

E-J
05-14-2003, 07:56 AM
Marilyn ... I experimented with the baby oil and my op's after reading about it in the Oil Pastel Info thread ... big disaster. The paper I used was way too thin. Big greasy blobs. Not good :)

Sueb
05-14-2003, 08:05 AM
Marilyn,

The blending with baby oil didn't work for me either. I do very little blending. About the only blending I do is with the sticks themselves & I have used some orderless turpentine (dipped the sticks right into it). I think the type of op also determines what is the best way to blend. Each brand seems to be different. Please share your experimentation with us. Again, I say great job!

Sue

Dark_Shades
05-14-2003, 08:38 AM
ohhhh this is nice......... like it :) ...... then got confused :confused: ..... thought wheres the coffee :D
..... Id like the title..... 'Tea Roses' :D

BTDogMom
05-14-2003, 11:50 AM
Marilyn - u amaze me woman - u r like an art machine - just turning out 1 beautiful piece after another!! - I'd like 2 ask u something thoug, how'd u like the oil pastels?? Was it easy 4 u?

Is it Mineral oil that u r thinking of?

bnoonan
05-14-2003, 12:29 PM
Marilyn,

Beautiful piece and I LOVE the colors and blending you did on the pot. It's gorgeous!!!

What patience you had with that lace doily - wow.

barb

Coffee and Roses are my two favorite things - but next time I'll take some chocolates as well.
:evil: :angel:

marilyn h
05-14-2003, 07:36 PM
I am finding that OPS's are a challenge. I used the baby oil and discovered that it isn't the answer either. I will try the mineral oil, like was suggested. I read in this forum that using the oils on untreated papers cause the op's to break down after awhile. I am learning a lot in this thread and forum.

I try not to give up on anything, if I don't have too. I have been known to take my watercolor paper and scrub it with potatoe brushes, floor brushes,etc. The end product is not half bad. Of course the paper has taken a beating, but so has my right side of the brain.

I will continue to use these and see what I can create out of them.

Thank you for you all being so kind to comment and say such nice comments. I really don't know if I deserve them. What the heck! Someone has to be gracious enough to take them. So I will! LOL!

Tea and Roses. LIKE THAT VERY MUCH! Name change in real life. Thanks.

Artaholic
05-15-2003, 02:10 AM
Marilyn, very nice painting. Your shadows are great, like the composition and colors, you did a lovely job on the doily too.
keep up the good work!!

Gerry

elf
05-15-2003, 10:18 PM
Hi. I'm kind of new here. Anyway, I love what you've done with the (tea? coffee?) pot. The colours just look so right. Keep it up with the pastels!

moo67
05-16-2003, 11:37 AM
Wonderful job as usual Marilyn i love your style. What type of paper did you use for this piece? I have done a few oil pastel pieces just getting a feel for the medium and i used just a cotton bud or i think you might call them a cotton tip with nothing on it to blend the OP's,and that work brilliantly.
Moo:clap: :clap: :clap: