PDA

View Full Version : loose ends oil pastel

Sueb
05-13-2003, 07:27 PM
Trying to tie up up loose ends and get my finished pastel stuff packed away. My oil painting class is taking up all of my art time right now. This is the last of my small winter/spring paintings. 9x12 wallis paper & Caran d'ache oil pastels. Hope to find some free time soon to do more pastels.

Sue

PS Last of the spring pictures too. 12x18 Holbein on wallis

Sueb
05-13-2003, 07:32 PM
oops. was trying to post 2 images. Heres the 12x18.

mhimeswc
05-13-2003, 07:42 PM
I like your flowering tree. We have a lot of those around now, but I haven't tried any in pastel yet. I did do one en plein air in watercolor a week or so ago. I hope you find time for pastels when your oil class is done.

Michelle

Sueb
05-13-2003, 07:53 PM
Michelle, Oil pastels are perfect for plein aire. I did one a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The weather just hasn't permitted any more for me when I had the time. I'll look for your painting.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Sue

Smudger
05-14-2003, 05:45 AM
love the flowering tree... great colours:clap:

doe
05-14-2003, 07:45 AM
Love them both! They both have clear and bright colors and the application style is very appealing. Is it going to be too hot to use these plein air in the summer?

E-J
05-14-2003, 07:53 AM
Sue ~ love that tree. The blossom's amazing ~ it looks like soft pastels.

Not much chance of it being too hot here in England to paint en plein air this summer ... at least oil pastels are waterproof! :p

Sueb
05-14-2003, 08:09 AM
Thanks Smudger, E-J, Doe...It's been suggested that keeping the op's in a cooler solves the hot melty issue. Haven't tried it yet.

Sue

bnoonan
05-15-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi Sue,

guess I totally missed this posting.

Great job on these. I'm especially a fan of the tree in bloom with all it's pink rich blossoms. And I love the twist of the strokes on the trunk. they draw the eye back up to enjoy the tree.

Nice work. (know what you mean about balancing between oils and pastels - it's a juggle for me too)

Barb

artbabe21
05-15-2003, 05:29 PM
Hi Sue...is that a flowering crab tree? I love them...they are blooming all over MT right now. Really nice job on that tree...actually both trees have made really nice paintings with different approaches. Have fun with your oils...are you new to them?

Sueb
05-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Hi Cathleen, Barb,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not sure what the pink tree is but when I went back to the gardens the following week the ground was completely pink and the tree was green. Probably should have snapped a picture. I'll have to look to see if the tree is marked next time.

The oil class is a continuation of classes that I started in January 2002. Been taking classes ever since and this last session I was taking 3 different classes (including the oil pastel) and spreading myself way too thin. I am really taken with the oil pastel medium; it's down right addictive.

Cathleen, It's good to see you posting in pastels. I always and remember your kindness helping me with my very first posting attempts. :) I have learned so much from this very talented pastel crew and it has especially helped my perspective and drawing. It's an especially friendly forum.

Look forward to seeing more of ya'lls work posted here.

Sue

bnoonan
05-15-2003, 08:03 PM
Cathleen was the person who got me so inspired on wet canvas as well. Thanks for being that special person for so many of us.

Barb

artbabe21
05-16-2003, 04:39 PM
thanks for mentioning that, it's sure nice to hear but I think I am only giving back what was given to me by so many...like that movie I loved....'Pay it Forward'...this is what WC is about!

this IS an especially warm, friendly forum, you are all so bonded but are open to new people and that's such a great feeling to be welcomed...:)

Dima
05-17-2003, 11:35 AM
Lovely impressionistic pictures and lovely colours especially the ecstatic abundance of the red blooming tree.
BTW How were your oilpastel classes?

Dick