GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Portrait of Wayne Gaudon
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
WIP. Honest Wayne... I am not stalking ya :)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I was looking at Waynes site today and saw his photo. Thought I would try more portrait work. In an odd kind of way that photo on your site reminded me of Van Gogh. I may just be hanging out on the Van Gogh gallery site too much!

Gote beard is a bit messed up right now. Will work more on this tonight.

Chuck
05-13-2003, 06:42 PM
Nice start...very painterly!

Wayne Gaudon
05-13-2003, 06:59 PM
Honest Wayne... I am not stalking ya :)

LOL .. you sure pick some ugly subjects .. I have a beard not a gote .. keep it short and so the picture doesn't show it well

I took the picture of myself .. looks like I'm in a big glass room with weird lighting when in fact I am in front of a dusty old mirror I found down in the basement belonging to the prior owner ..

Have fun!

s-augustson
05-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Thanks Chuck! I was checking out your paintings of artist in studio and models. I really like them!

Wayne, I wondered what all the white specs were. I thought it made the picture seem mysterious.

I have to mow the lawn and then back to working on this. I think this is the first portrait I actually see form with that I have done. I hope i can keep going and not mess it up.

artbabe21
05-13-2003, 07:25 PM
Shawn, good start......now I am going to see what the mysterious Wayne really looks like...he gave us a glance once & I told him what a hunk he was and never saw his mug again!

Jeanette Diaz
05-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Your on your way. Cant wait to see it when your done.

s-augustson
05-13-2003, 10:39 PM
A little more work done. Still lots wrong with it but I am kind of getting it.

The hair and beard need lots of help yet. I dont think it looks like Wayne all that much but I think if I can keep going I might have a good painting. Reminds me of a King Crab fisherman. ( i watch too may movies)

Paintonbrush
05-13-2003, 10:50 PM
nice work....I could pick him out of a line-up ;-) cant wait to see the finished product.

Pilan
05-14-2003, 02:36 AM
I like this a whole lot. Your doing great. Hurry so we can see the finished Wayne :p

s-augustson
05-14-2003, 08:36 AM
Thank you for the comments everyone! I wish I could get a better photo. Maybe today. I came down this morning and looked at it and it looks good to me. One of my better paintings for sure. It looks a lot better than in this photo. The colors are so much nicer.

I am going to work more on it today. This might replace my favorite landscape, lol.

Pilan, I downloaded that belly dancer picture from your photos. I might try to paint her. Is that a real tattoo on her thigh?

I dont think the likness is there of Wayne, but do like the painting a lot. I keep singing the song "Somewhere...beyond the sea, some where waiting for me... watching the ships... go sailing..., etc." while I am painting. I was thinking about calling this "Beyond the sea" for some reason I just keep thinking of a ship captain. I should have put a hat and pipe in his mouth, LOL.

I like when my mind races like this when I am painting. Usally the painting turns out good when that happens.

Wayne Gaudon
05-14-2003, 08:51 AM
Shawn .. LOL .. I grew up on the sea .. my dad used to fish part time .. Lobster and Samon .. hard work but a lot of fun. To be fair to you, the picture you are using as reference is not the greatest .. the likeness is not overly there but you have a few of the features nailed like the forehead and neck area and as a starting artist one can't be expected to nail down a likeness in their first attempts at a portrait .. you're making me a celebrity:D

Getting happy and lost in oneself when one paints is always a good thing and usually produces some wonderul results. Looking for the next update.

pero lane
05-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Don't know what Wayne looks like, but he really does look like a fisherman here Shawn!:p Needs one of those yellow floppy hats! Great start on this one. I've never mastered portraits, I always lose it as this point trying to get in too much detail! Can't wait to see the end result!
All of you must have digital cameras to get your pics up so quick..my next investment!

artbabe21
05-14-2003, 06:18 PM
I really like the way you are applying the paint...looks GOOD! Singing while you work...that's a really happy guy!! :)

Wayne, I know what you mean about the likeness thing...here I got Joss' likeness pretty well but an oil I am working on of my daughter I completely LOST the likeness because the reference photo is so BAD! So I'll either try harder for the likeness and if it still eludes me it will be somebody else!! LOL

s-augustson
05-14-2003, 06:42 PM
a little more work done. I am not sure what color I am going to make the shirt. I sort of like the white and thought maybe i would paint it white.

The hair and beard are killing me! What colors can I put into to make it better. It looks real white in the photo but the actual painting is not as bad. I was thinking about adding in yellow ochre to the hair.

Doesnt look like Wayne so now I am just trying to get a good figure painting, LOL.

Wayne Gaudon
05-14-2003, 07:24 PM
shawn .. go look at the way I handled the beard in the old man ..
http://home.cogeco.ca/~wgaudon/oldmanpic.htm

you are trying too hard to do individual hair .. get down and dirty .. I used a dark made of ultramarine and alz crimson and then I used ocher and green and whatever over it to make the greys ..

s-augustson
05-14-2003, 10:38 PM
Thanks Wayne!! Now that was fun! Wish I could get a better photo. Here it is with a little more work on it.