PDA

View Full Version : Good Pastel Instruction Book?

Harry
05-13-2003, 05:55 PM
I have been thinking of exploring pastels. Are there any good books on pastel technique that would put me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Harry

mhimeswc
05-13-2003, 06:09 PM
I'm using Jackie Simmonds' book "Pastel Workbook" which is written for absolute beginners. It has a lot of simple exercises in it, as well as some beautiful examples of Jackie's work. I think it's a good one for someone just starting out in pastel.

Michelle

sundiver
05-13-2003, 10:23 PM
I have one of Jackie's other books (Pastel Workshop"I think it's called) , also excellent. Another good one is Bill Creevy's "The Pastel Book"; it explores a wide variety of techniques.

doe
05-14-2003, 09:31 AM
An old but reliable book, Pastel by Daniel E. Greene; some new books: Painting the Landscape in Pastel, Albert Handell & Anita Louise West; Harley Brown's Eternal Truths For Every Artist, Harley Brown; Beautiful Skintones, Chris Saper.

Smudger
05-15-2003, 05:57 AM
I looked at both Jackies book's at her show on Monday, they looked great and i have now ordered them both from Amazon:D

Smudger
05-15-2003, 05:58 AM
BTW Harry... Welcome to WC:D

christmascarolnz
05-15-2003, 08:24 AM
Hi there, and welcome to our humble home here at pastels.
I have just got the book "The Pastel Book Materials and Techniques for Today's Artist" by Bill Creevy out of the library for the second time. The first when I began with pastels and the now that I've got into them more. It is a totally different style to the other books I've read or skimmed over and covers soft pastels, oil pastels, and oil bars. It also mentions about using wingel and other additives in your work.
Check it out.
Regards,
Carol

E-J
05-16-2003, 04:48 AM
I'm feeling very smug since I picked up the Creevy book yesterday for 2.95 [about US$4.50] :D It does look very practical and very comprehensive. The first one I bought was Jackie's 'Pastel Workbook', which is great when you don't have a clue where to start, but I found her 'Pastel Workout' video even more helpful.

christmascarolnz
05-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Oh EJ you lucky thing. That is sooo not fair....can I have it?
It is rather different, isn't it? Where did you buy it from?
BTW, I shop in Cambridge New Zealand...howzat?
Cheers,
Carol

pampe
05-16-2003, 11:52 PM
HARLEY BROWN

Carole Katchen, CREATIVE PAINTING IN PASTEL