PDA

View Full Version : Zoe in the snow

jkelly
05-13-2003, 04:42 PM
Hi, I haven't been here for a while. Had some people commissions to do. So I had to lighten up and paint my GSD, Zoe, and it felt good! She's done in pastel on toned sanded paper (Colorfix), 19x24.

What do you think?

jkelly

jkelly
05-13-2003, 04:44 PM
I was considering cropping it closer like this. Is the composition better, or am I losing too much snow?

Jean

BTDogMom
05-13-2003, 05:07 PM
I think it's GREAT!!!! - I like the cropped version but I like the 1st one 2 - I don't know, but I think they r both good - I love how u have done the snow! :D:clap: :clap: :clap:

jkelly
05-13-2003, 05:30 PM
are so much fun! It had snowed the day before, so we had a carpet of fresh clean snow to play in. Her colors against the snow with the addition of bright sunlight made me grab the camera to see what I could capture. She posed perfectly for this. Normally she doesn't look very regal (she's really silly for a shepard).

This was my first time painting snow. I used shades of blue-grey, blue, violet, and white but couldn't get the brightness I wanted. Finally ended up adding a pale, pale yellow and it started to sparkle!

Thanks BT, I like her too.

Jean

MonicaB
05-13-2003, 07:05 PM
Like BTDogMom, I don't have a preference -- I just like seeing everyone's puppies! This one is a beaut. I like the pose a lot, especially with the snow on the nose. :D

echidna
05-13-2003, 07:08 PM
very nice! i tried pastels once and abandoned them immediately after!
~Echidna

jkelly
05-13-2003, 07:46 PM
Hi echidna and MonicaB. I considered removing the snow from her nose, but that wouldn't be characteristic of her, so it stayed.

Thanks for the positive comments. Echidna, what made you abandon pastels?

Jean

crazeejumper
05-13-2003, 07:49 PM
This is beautiful!! Such amazing detail with pastels! :clap:

Paul Hopkinson
05-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Well you have certainly done a brilliant job on this one. Zoe looks so alive and alert not forgetting the snow on her nose LOL. I take it she's been sniffing in the ground again!
I like both versions but if I was given a preference my choice would be the first one, mainly because it show Zoe is enjoying herself in such a cold but idilic suroundings.

Well done
Paul

jkelly
05-13-2003, 08:41 PM
Thank you Connie and Paul! Glad you like my girl. Her nose and whole head are usually in the snow, she must have heard something interesting when I got this pic.

Connie, I use NuPastel and pastel pencils for the details. If you sharpen them on a sanding block you can get a sharp edge.

Paul, thanks for the suggestion on cropping. I would hate to cut all that work off. ;)

Jean

Paul Hopkinson
05-13-2003, 08:55 PM
I noticed that you havn't got a tiny head for your postings as yet. I cropped your painting of Zoe for you so you can used it for now, if you want to that is.
If you copy the image below and paste it into one of your art programmes like Paint Shop Pro or similar, you can then save it onto your hard drive. Just upload it through 'My WC'.

Paul
I hope you don't mind me doing this for you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/19488-Zoe.jpg

k9artist
05-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Wonderful painting!! Love the snow!!..and of course the GSD!

jkelly
05-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Guess it just never seemed important, but now that I have a "tiny head" I better use it! I've been accused of not using my head on a number of occasions.
I'll try to figure it out tomorrow when I have a "fresh head". Thanks Paul.

:)

Thank you k9artist. Animal people are so great.

Jean

She-She
05-14-2003, 09:35 AM
Hi Jean,
A beautiful painting!! I like the first one best, for all the reasons Paul said.

els
05-14-2003, 12:18 PM
WOW, she is gurgeous. Very nicely done, and I do prefer the uncropped version...

RachelG*
05-14-2003, 01:43 PM
Wow-this is increadible! the fur is VERY well done!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

jkelly
05-14-2003, 05:19 PM
Hi everyone,

Having a beautiful model certainly makes the art fun.

Thank you She-She, els, and RachelG, I guess the consensus here is the uncropped version. I certainly appreciate the feedback and will not crop it. :p

Paul, I'm coming down with a nasty cold so will do my tiny head when I don't have such a "fat head".

Jean