GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: WIP Help with background
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is where I started...and where I am. Working from photos I took. There's a big ugly condo in the background that I'm eliminating but I'm not sure what to do.
I think the change is too wimpy looking...thought more sand darker and sea grass but the colors wouldn't do much for it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything at all?

pampe
05-13-2003, 05:49 PM
dunes?

nicely shaped sand dunes

Chuck
05-13-2003, 07:06 PM
Subtle...definitely not "wimpy." However, small problem with horizon line cutting canvas in half...at the same level as lifeguard's seat.

niontotems
05-13-2003, 07:07 PM
The first thing that struck me as maybe a little off was the shadows ~ sort of seems to be around noon, but they're not crisp enough for the straight-down light source...a few are elongated as if morning or afternoon?

As for background ~ I was thinking along the lines of maybe some sort of an inlet / possibly a few sailboats in the distance (or even just a hazy coastline in the distance). Would a combination of warm and cool blues of such a background maybe bring out the reds and pink/purples of the forground a little more?

artbabe21
05-13-2003, 07:22 PM
I LOVE this...problematic or not...has a look of Peggi Kroll's work

jerryW
05-13-2003, 07:54 PM
weather a condo or not, the structure in the background was picking up some of the horizontal aspects of the foreground and making them sing (upper image).
a nice counterpoint was set up.
you don't need the sense of bldg,
but something there from the actual
source will make the reality of this
soar better than an imaginary addition.

artinoils
05-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Pam, thanks but I ruled out dunes.

Chuck, thanks that's one issue relating to the background that I'm trying to deal with.

niototems, I haven't worked on much of it and what you're seeing is underpainting re: shadows. As to the background, the chair is facing the ocean but pulled back to the fence/dune area so your suggestion would not be true.

jerry, I agree that as soon as I removed what I had in the first I lost some of the tension...appreciate what you've said.

bocote
05-13-2003, 09:54 PM
all of the forms infront of the background are incredible. Defined, consistant, deliberate, and confident. The background: The green area of grass and its relationship to the blue sky is not consistant with the style or form of the rest of the painting. how do you feel about a solid color for the sand right up to a solid color for the sky with similar transitions that were used in the figures?

The immense bench and the little kids playing on/around it really is spectacular. Hopefully the big bad lifeguard sporting a shiney whistle won't come back soon.

have fun,

bocote

niontotems
05-13-2003, 10:41 PM
Okay ~ I was thinking of it as possibly being more of a section of beach on a point, or jutting out strip of land, as opposed to a view from the ocean of a flat/broad strip of beach.

Given the explanation of the 'backed up against the dunes' perspective, my suggestion is definitely invalid.

artinoils
05-14-2003, 05:05 AM
bocote, thanks for the input! Glad you like the kids!

Ok here's where I've left it for tonight...there's glare on top half. In reality it's darker and not so blue.