PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia

Gareth
05-13-2003, 02:45 PM
A couple of months ago I said no flowers for a while, well I lied, but seeing as everybody's disappeared I'm unlikely to get pulled up on it.

Decorative and soulless? Probably. Do I care? No.

40ins x 40ins (oil on canvas)

brushstroked
05-13-2003, 03:03 PM
OMG! I'm stunned by the texture of the petals! The clarity...the color. This is EXQUISITE! Did someone tell you to stop doing flowers, or was that a self-imposed thing? Simply gorgeous. :D

surreal
05-13-2003, 08:18 PM
It's soulful and exquisite!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

jenna_searcher
05-13-2003, 10:12 PM
mmm such delicate, pink petals. i can smell them. sweet.

Adrienne
05-14-2003, 03:54 AM
This is awfully good. I didn't know you'd sworn off flowers, or that you'd ever painted one before -- I just know I like this one quite a lot. Lovely. Glad I was around when you came to your senses ;)

Nisha
05-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Absolutely gorgeous! Don't stop!:)

Nisha:D

Gar
05-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Flowers are bi-sexual.

Kalibabe
05-14-2003, 01:37 PM
GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!

I's have sworn that was a photo!!!!!!!!!

I'm aghast (sp?)....... i'd LOVE the ability to paint with such skill, well impressive!:D

abstroint
05-14-2003, 07:18 PM
ah

far more beautiful then a photo

were there a way to smell it, better then the real thing

somerset
05-14-2003, 10:46 PM
your remarks are eerily similiar to remarks made by several WC contributors lately. no one, including those of us at WC can peer into your soul or see what you see. (wish I remembered who said that) additionally we are handicapped by viewing a web approximation of the real thing. so if you are pleasing yourself, please continue. and don't worry about the labels unless being like everyone else is important to you. learn? YES. sacrifice Gareth? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Did I say I liked the painting? Oh yeah, and sorry about the rant.

Gareth
05-15-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Gar
Flowers are bi-sexual.

Well at least it's not "like totally gay."

Thanks for the positive feedback, the magnolia's the first painting I've finished for a while; too much on my mind lately. It was a self imposed descision to move away from flowers, at the time I felt that they'd served their purpose. Initially they were done to be obtuse, as beautiful as possible, but completely vacuous. Something to wind up the chin scratchers. Anyway last year it started to feel like they were restricting my freedom. I'd had a couple of galleries interested in flowers and a few commisions, again for flowers, but I don't want just to be the guy who paints flowers, there's so much beauty around, why pigeon hole myself? I photograph loads of different things and just go through them for paintings. I wasn't photographing flowers exclusively so why paint flowers exclusively? (I'll paint about one from every hundred photo's that I take, which probably says more about my [lack of] photographic skills, haha). The magnolia was just a flower seen one Sunday that I'd photographed. I wanted to paint it and figured that there was no point restricting myself in the name of freedom, so here it is. It was done along with a sky and a landscape (posted the sky a while back, though I've re-worked it slightly and the landscape is 90% done), so it didn't feel so restrictive anyway. I'm much more comfortable with the flowers as part of a broader spectrum and will probably continue with them now, as long as they stay part of a whole.

matingara
05-16-2003, 08:36 AM
yeah - what abstroint said

i don't have an original thought in my brain at this time of night and of life.....

jayjay
05-16-2003, 09:02 AM
WOW!
I'm speechless - believe me that doesn't happen very often!:eek:

Fagan
05-16-2003, 09:39 AM
Holly Chit!!! How did I miss this one? Beautiful work! Nothing soul less here. Very well done.

amanda
05-16-2003, 12:28 PM
This isn't soulless at all, it'f full of soul. I really like the way that it fills the canvas up.

Adrienne
05-16-2003, 07:58 PM
Gareth: "Initially they were done to be obtuse, as beautiful as possible, but completely vacuous. Something to wind up the chin scratchers."
And do you feel this one is vacuous as well? Is that still your intent?

Gareth
05-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Well it's pretty devoid of any emotion or meaning on a personal level pertaining to me. But people find their own, I like to let the audience take from my work whatever they want without trying to ram something down their throats.

"Win the eyes and the mind will follow." Dave Hickey

timelady
05-17-2003, 03:49 PM
I think it's quite sensual actually. Lovely work. Nothin' wrong with flowers. :) (actually I have some lovely photos of white roses with bright pink tips if you're interested...I'll probably never get around to painting them.)

Heck, I paint robot portraits and fruit sometimes. sh! Don't tell anyone!

Tina.

sheevuh
05-18-2003, 04:09 PM
beatutiful!!!! I thought it was your reference picture and i was wondering where the painting was! simply gorgeous!

Andrea

Gareth
05-19-2003, 05:44 AM
Thanks Andrea.

The painting itself isn't quite so photographic in the flesh, it's quite painterly really. It's pretty much about five or six loose paintings over the top of each other in various degrees of opacity/translucency. My favourite bit is the two little spots of light toward the left centre at the top, they're just two thumb prints, which saves signing it at least, haha.

Tina,

Thanks to you too. The offer of the pictures is very kind and I may well take you up on it. My initial reaction was that I wouldn't, 'cause the photography side of what I do is important to me. I live in a beautiful part of the country and the photographs I take are like a stroll through my days. But WC is often a part of my days and I try to respond to how the camera sees rather than how I do (I think the camera's more reliable). So it might be interesting to work from something that I have no idea of other than in a photo, somebody else's aesthetic.

Portraits and fruit are fair enough, we've all got to eat. I draw the line at kids or dogs though, haha.

Gareth

Smudger
05-19-2003, 07:33 AM
stunning:clap: :clap:

arourapope
05-25-2003, 11:18 PM
Your flower is full of soul. Beautiful, and achingly temporary, hanging at end of a limb, waiting for the sun, the rain, conversation and tea below, or other wonderous events to happen.
I painted flowers for a really long time too. Someone (who?) once said if you wanted to know the universe to look into a flower (or something like that.....).
Paint whatever moves you, Gareth. If it moves you, it will move the viewer. I think that what it is may even be of secondary importance to what it does.
Thanks for showing us your magnolia. :D

ginatec
05-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Wow this is awesome. I love the way you have made the magnolia look fragile and translucent. Are you going to post this in the oil Forum?

Gar
05-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Without the stem, there is no flower.:)