PDA

View Full Version : A Yellow Rose

PMurphy42
05-13-2003, 02:31 PM
Here is my first attempt at a rose........learned 1 important thing.....yellow is HARD to work with. This is 13 x 10, 300lb Canson (which I hate, trying to use up what I have) It's from a ref photo by Faafil (thanks for the beautiful pics).
Any comments/critiques welcome.

patti

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/20210-yellow_rose.jpg

Bill J
05-13-2003, 02:42 PM
nice petal texture , backround brings out the flower--nice job all around
bill

babybrush
05-13-2003, 02:44 PM
it's beautiful. i see nothing to critisize

Bethany

jkook
05-13-2003, 03:16 PM
Very nice. First or 50th try it's still very good.
Jim

pampe
05-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Hi, Patti

Lovely rose...I think you solved your yellow problem!

Also....if willbe easier on other paper

IMHO your values are a little "mid-range" and make the rose stand out less than it could.....look at the grayscale:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/4054-yellow_rosegray.jpg

I think if you bump up the values JUST a little....you can make it ZING...I played in PHOTOSHOP:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/4054-newyellow_rose.jpg

Sylvielu
05-13-2003, 03:25 PM
I agree yellow is very hard to work with but you did an excellent job. :clap:

PMurphy42
05-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Hi everyone...sorry was outside watering. I appreciate everyone's comments!!
Thank you Sylvie....yellow is my favorite color and I keep picking ref pics with lots of yellow....arghhhh.

Thanks Pam....I had given up darking the rose...thought I was gonna mess it up.....you think just a couple more washes of the yellow and pink will work?

Thanks Babybrush....I just never think anything I do is very good...guess we are all harder on ourselves than others. I find myself making excuses about my paintings to friends and family, saying it could be better, etc.....I have to try to quit doing that.

Thanks Bill....I think the petal texture was a happy accident...lol. Wasn't sure what I was doing.

ps....Pam..... I've put many layers in the background....Whats a good color I could use to make it pop.

patti

gotta go get kids...be back in a bit

bswilson1147
05-13-2003, 03:46 PM
Very nice petals and shading. You might think about using a very dark crisp black or very intense violet for the background in your next painting like this. It will really make the flower "pop".

CharM
05-13-2003, 03:55 PM
Wow Patti, this is really lovely... Nice crisp petal edges and great textural "accident"...

Nitsa
05-13-2003, 03:58 PM
Please don't touch the rose....It's beautiful.
I love Pampes photoshop b/g tho'....Indigo is a great darkening agent. ;)
You have done a fantastic job with a really difficult subject and colour...WD U!
Be sure to post after the b/g work is done so we can see it!

M.A.
05-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Lovely.

pampe
05-13-2003, 04:46 PM
Patti

Don't know if you are going to add to this one or do another....but with a yellow rose.....WINSOR VIOLET and INDIGO make a fabulous BG

PMurphy42
05-13-2003, 05:24 PM
I'm back from getting kids at school. Thanks to all those who commented while I was gone.

Charm....thanks!!

Nitsa....thanks for your critique.....Indigo is on my list of next paints to buy.....:) :) .....had choice of paints or flowers for Mothers Day......picked flowers for my garden....lol

Thanks fun2cook

Thanks again Pam....have windsor violet....but now indigo :( :( YET!!!!!

I have started drawing with graphite again...that is one of my loves.....going to post a pic in drawing/sketching in a minute. I've read so much about drawing helping your painting...so at night when I'm sitting in ICU...and its quiet!, I have been doodling some.

Thanks....patti

artmom
05-13-2003, 05:38 PM
Absolutely beautiful rose!

mhimeswc
05-13-2003, 05:40 PM
You did a great job with the yellow. I dislike working with yellow because it gets muddy so easily, and yet I am attracted to yellow flowers. (Sigh!!) I too found that "darkening" them with orange or even green works better than using it's compliment, purple. Nice painting!

Michelle

Uschi
05-13-2003, 09:10 PM
Beautiful!!!
Uschi

Mary Smith
05-13-2003, 09:21 PM
Nice for a first one! Wow beautiful! A bit stiff but the more you do the softer the look.

Faafil
05-13-2003, 11:18 PM
Super job on this Patti :clap: :clap:

(and, you're very welcome ! :D glad to see people using my photos - I have much better luck with the digital camera than paint and paper :eek: )

PMurphy42
05-13-2003, 11:21 PM
BsWilson....just noticed I forgot to thank you earlier for your comments.!!

Thank you Mary....hope it gets easier :)

Thanks Uschi

Thanks Michelle....I was terrified of using purple to darken....lol.

Thank you Artmom!!

I doubt I will work on this right now.....trying to start another on the challenge....I attempted the red poppy.....not liking it so far....may come back to it tho

patti

Birdie
05-14-2003, 12:15 AM
That is very beautiful....you did an outstanding job...

Birdie:rolleyes:

lyn lynch
05-14-2003, 12:30 AM
Well, Patti, this what I learned:
1.) Use that Canson for making color charts and glaze samples; or,
2.) Use that Canson for stamping and to wrap small gifts; or,
3.) Donate that Canson to a children's daycare center.

This crappy student grade that I could not get a detail to save my life. I brought the unopened package back to the art store w/incorrect receipt and begged on bended knee for them to take it back. She exchanged it for some 140# Arches.
Impossible to work with.

Yes, I agree on use of orange or green with yellow. I hate yellow and try to avoid it, but if I remember correctly always use yellow beneath, never on top or it will mud. OK if you want to use violets and blues as b/g, but not on the yellow, imo.

I like the soft version [yours] over the computerized version, but I paint in the high value range so that is a normal reaction.

Now your rose, I think you did a beautiful job! Just a lovely, lovely rose and very well done with your cast shadows. This would be beautiful on a good paper like Arches. I actually prefer the white sheet of Kilimanjaro which I get here at Cheap Joe's (http://www.cheapjoes.com) for less money than Arches.

Great rose, I want it. LOL

gealflings
05-14-2003, 12:40 AM
This looks absolutely beautiful.. soft and delicate .. the colors compliment each other wonderfully.. :D

PMurphy42
05-14-2003, 12:46 AM
Thanks Faafil for commenting...and for your ref pic again!!

Thanks Birdie for the commpliments!!

Thanks fookie....lol....guess you feel like I do about this paper. :)
I was going to order new paper and paints from cheap joes...but like I stated earlier....it was paint supplies or flowers for my yard.....I had no flowers....and some paints and paper....so flowers won out this payday :) Got the sunburn to go with the flowers today tho.....figures.

thanks Gealflings for commenting!

patti

manwat
05-14-2003, 12:58 AM
The only thing missing is the scent. Excellent :clap: :clap: :clap:

Peter

Sher
05-14-2003, 02:06 AM
Sweet!

PMurphy42
05-14-2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks Peter and Sher for looking and commenting.

patti

karenjh
05-14-2003, 10:44 PM
Lovely rose. I am afraid of yellow roses LOL and have only done a couple of pink ones. The one thing that my art teacher told me was that I needed to add some darker areas where some of the petals meet. An example of what I am trying to say is where your back right petal meets the main middle petal down at the bottom. I hope that made sense.

norsky
05-15-2003, 01:31 AM
A rose is a rose but this rose the nose defintely knows!

Nice shading!

norsky:clap:

laudesan
08-11-2003, 08:57 AM
I just happened across this post Patti, and when I opened it I swear I could smell the rose :D:D It is very beautiful just the way it is :)
JJ

gfxwiz
08-11-2003, 09:24 AM
I have yet to attemp a floral. This is very nice. The shades of peach coloring are delicious!

Don

Sandy1
08-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Stunning!! Wonderful petals and you did a fabulous job with the yellow. :clap: :clap: :clap:

jkook
08-11-2003, 09:41 AM
Patti, yes yellow is hard to work with but you did a bang up job ! I like this one a lot.
Jim

PMurphy42
08-11-2003, 02:30 PM
I was surprised to see this thread come up.....first thing I thought...when did I paint a yellow rose :o :o duh on me....

JJ....thank you for your nice comment.....This is the first and only rose I have painted.......I struggled with it quite abit....will have to try another one of these days.

Sandy.......oh master of beautiful florals.......your encouragement means alot....someday to paint like you do is my goal....I'll get there one of these days.......

Jim.....thank you....your a sweetheart!

Alan Cross
08-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Nice one Patti I think you did fine with that yellow and it is hard to paint with...
Alan :)

mpopinz
08-11-2003, 08:36 PM
I like Pam's changes. It is a lovely piece!

PMurphy42
08-12-2003, 12:36 AM
Thank you Alan for taking time to look and giving a nice compliment :)

Thank you Mpopinz for looking and commenting :)