05-13-2003, 01:29 PM
little something different to me.....piddling, i guess

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/7974-TRIBE_7.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/7974-TRIBE_9.jpg

acrylic on 140 w/c paper

brushstroked
05-13-2003, 02:50 PM
hi ordie...

I really like the first one (although the "smudging" to the left of his face bugs me a bit). The second one is good, but reminds me a little too much of a clown, and they scare me. :p

I guess what I'm trying to say is I that I prefer the "thickness" of the first over the spareness of the second.

But at least YOU ARE PAINTING...and I'm not. :(

Adrienne
05-14-2003, 04:09 AM
Ordie, these both seemed scary to me, but I wanted to respond because I think there is some quality there. You said you were "piddling" so I'd love to see your more serious and/or more playful work if you have something handy to show us.

Brushstroked, why aren't you painting?

(I'm not either by the way. I'm in a major art slump and a sorry mix of frustration. I can't paint when I'm feeling this way.)

DanaT
05-14-2003, 09:57 AM
I love these! I'm into faces right now and these are so expressive.

The second one does look like an angry clown...oh a kid's worst nightmare! :eek:

The first one seems more melancholy...more solid.. The lights on the eyes and mouth where you would expect to see darks is surprising and a nice touch - like a negative print or something.

If I had to compare the emotions of the two, the first one is more inwardly focused, the second more focused in the external world. Actually the second one looks like she's gonna kill someone in a second. Very aggressive clown.

ordie4
05-15-2003, 08:21 AM
i can see where you might see a clown on the second, not what i was going for, but i can see it. these were intended to have a tribal almost cave painting feel to them...primitive, i guess....

brushstroked, i had not really noriced the smudge of the first until you brought that up (it is so obvious!), will clean that up a little bit.

Adrienne, kind of piddle in all walks of life. not much seriousness there!!! there are 120 or so other "piddles", very different from these, on my web-site:D

dana, thanks. sometimes it is good to reverse things(like neg. space), keep it interesting.....

thank you all for responding. it certainly helps!