PDA

View Full Version : Daily Pixel 5/13/03

digistyle
05-13-2003, 01:20 PM
I haven't been on the boards much lately. I've been doing some research, setting up some services and processes so that I can begin to market my artwork, digital and traditional. One thing that I've encountered is the perception that digital works are "push-button" art. No skill, talent or vision needed. This usually only lasts until a piece is actually seen or the process is explained.

I see this as an education problem. I'm creating a "Learning" section on my website that will hopefully help people to understand the process better. My thinking is that an informed client can overcome their misconceptions and begin to view digital as just another artform or medium.

So, my question of the day is: As artists, do we have a responsibility to educate others about our medium?

digistyle

sciartist
05-13-2003, 04:27 PM
If we don't who will??????!!!!!!?????!!!!!

pezer001
05-13-2003, 05:33 PM
we must educate.. or else everyone will continue to believe that by buying the software they are instantly an artist or designer. Heck we have enough bad designers with the ones that are educated (self included in that). :)

BlackTigr
05-14-2003, 12:48 PM
When you are using the medium and your own talent/creativity, the Digital media can be accepted. It is those who are merely using the tricks of the digital trade that are giving those of us using it like a painting medium a bad name. I do explain to those who ask that the work was done step by step from scratch, but I don't introduce my digital works with "and this was done on my Wacom..." unless I am in a digital forum.

--BT
(I want Painter 8, dammit.)