PDA

View Full Version : The Painted Lady

bluesrbest
05-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Okay, finally getting brave enough to post here. You are all sooo good, it's a bit intimidating but here goes: The Painted Lady of Rising Sun. It's a poured painting with just a bit of fiddling done when all the misket layers were removed at the end. Three colors: Quin Rose, Hansa Yellow, and can't remember the blue...
Thanks for looking - comments welcome.
______
Rhonda

karenjh
05-13-2003, 11:09 AM
Lovely! Great colors and nice composition. You might need some more shadowing under the roof line, if it were me I'd probably brighten up the flowers a bit, but you probably shouldn't listen to me LOL I am way too new at this. I've never tried pouring but you have done a great job at it.

babybrush
05-13-2003, 11:13 AM
stunning, i love it!!

Bethany

bswilson1147
05-13-2003, 11:15 AM
Rhonda, this is absolutely gorgeous. I would love to have it on my wall.:D Please show us more like this!

mustcreate
05-13-2003, 11:15 AM
incredible!!

sun dappled

light filled

HAPPY painting!!

em

M.A.
05-13-2003, 11:17 AM
Beautiful!

Annetta
05-13-2003, 11:20 AM
Rhonda, this is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! The colors are just beautiful and vibrant!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Can't wait till Pamps sees this!!

Please, Please post more of your work!!!

rapolina
05-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by bluesrbest
Okay, finally getting brave enough to post here. Rhonda
welcome Rhonda! you' soooo good!!!:) :) :)

i anyway blush when i post a painting...:o i understand you!:D
i really like your painting, send more and critic mine!;)

ciao from italy, rapolina.:cat:

imahappy
05-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Hey, this is beautiful. Don't understand why you waited so long to post. Lovely colors. I haven't tried a pour yet, you did a marvelous job. Did you use a reference photo?

CharM
05-13-2003, 11:25 AM
Rhonda, I'm so glad you posted! This is absolutely fresh, clear and really beautiful. Do absolutely nothing more to it!!!

pampe
05-13-2003, 11:31 AM
WONDERFUL POUR!!!

I am glad you finally were brave!

Only nit....may want to smooth some of the miskit edges that aren't quite smooth

Pam

artmom
05-13-2003, 11:38 AM
Wonderful colors! Congrats on your first post and welcome to the watercolor forum.:)

Sylvielu
05-13-2003, 11:57 AM
This is fantastic! I like your color choices and the scene makes me long for a glass of iced tea as I take a seat n your porch.

nancymae
05-13-2003, 12:11 PM
Love those shadows!!!! Your painting is beautiful!!! I'm not familiar with the pouring method.....maybe you could do a tutorial for everyone??????

Keep it up and welcome to Wet Canvas!!!

Nancy

Jprice022
05-13-2003, 12:19 PM
Well done Rhonda. Thanks for sharing.

mpopinz
05-13-2003, 12:19 PM
Rhonda..

This is lovely! You've no need to feel brave to post here. Your work is beautiful, loose & soft!

bluesrbest
05-13-2003, 12:24 PM
My goodness! I didn't expect such a response from all of you! And here I was, afraid - silly me! This lovely lady is in Rising Sun, Indiana and, unfortuntely, is painted a garish yellow and cobalt blue - not pretty at all and sticks out like a sore thumb. This is the first poured painting for me, so wouldn't dream of a tutorial (blush). I will take more photos of some beautiful porches in Rising Sun (if the sun will ever shine for more than 1/2 hour here) and try again using some other colors. This one was supposed to evoke a lemonade feeling. Seems like it did. Maybe next time, a mint julep is in order.
Pampe, the raggedly look on the whites is from my unsteady hands with the misket and can't do too much at this point without really going over the whole thing - so how about we say she's a bit past her prime? :)
Karenjh, the flowers are the focal point so maybe I should lighten them a bit. Thanks.

Thanks, again, for all your wonderful comments. Maybe I'll post the yupo I'm working on next (my art teacher is pushing us in different directions and has made me get over my hatred of yupo).
______
Rhonda
:cat:

karenjh
05-13-2003, 12:34 PM
You definitely should post up the Yupo and anything else - would love to see more of your work.

els
05-13-2003, 12:47 PM
FANTASTIC...

Islander
05-13-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by nancymae
I'm not familiar with the pouring method.....maybe you could do a tutorial for everyone??????

I also am unfamilar with the term pouring, the end result with your painting is very good. Perhaps you could put us out of our ignorance.

pampe
05-13-2003, 01:22 PM
Rhonda

LOL..ok for this time....have you seen the masquepen? It allows small and straight lines with masking fluid easily

For those asking about pours.....do a search, there are threads on pouring in the archives and at the top of all the posts in the "sticky" there are some listed

Pam

bluesrbest
05-13-2003, 01:23 PM
Sorry, Islander - pouring is just what it says - you add lots of water to the paint (in a babyfood jar or any small jar) and pour the layers of paint over the drawing. Of course, first, you misket out the areas you want left light. This was a 5-step process, misketing the whites, pouring 3 colors; misketing the lights, pouring 3 colors, etc - until the end where I just poured to get some violet darks. I hope that's not too murky to understand. I know Pampe has done poured paintings and some others, too.
______
Rhonda

bluesrbest
05-13-2003, 01:25 PM
Pampe, thanks the the heads-up. I will definitely look into using the masque-pen next time because I'm thinking about doing a series of porches this way. It takes a lot of paint, but sure brings out the kid in me!
______
Rhonda

pampe
05-13-2003, 01:26 PM
It IS great fun, isn't it?

And I think the best part is the total loss of CONTROL....and then the fun of seeing what happens....it's a great way to loosen up!

You have a great feel for this....do you know Jean Grastorf's work?

capricorne
05-13-2003, 01:26 PM
very good, I feel the sun on the veranda :)
Jan

al22
05-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Very nice Rhonda....you have 'fiddled' well..............welcome to WC look forward to seeing more of your work.........
........al

bluesrbest
05-13-2003, 01:59 PM
Thanks Jan and Al (If your hat's nfs where can I get one just like it :)
Pampe, will look for info on that artist. Thanks.
______
Rhonda

Nandie
05-13-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by nancymae
Love those shadows!!!! Your painting is beautiful!!! I'm not familiar with the pouring method.....maybe you could do a tutorial for everyone??????

Keep it up and welcome to Wet Canvas!!!

Nancy

Ditto here... this is absolutely beautiful!!! Thanks for telling us the order of how you masked & poured..... Could you do a WIP one day and show us the steps of how this is done?:D :clap: :D :clap:

Crystal Owl
05-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Glad you posted this beautiful job !

Irene

jkook
05-13-2003, 03:37 PM
Wonderful painting !!! I would love to see a WIP to see how this is done ?? Post more.
Jim

Strawberry Wine
05-13-2003, 03:38 PM
WElcome Rhonda.

Beautiful porch painting and lovely choice of colours.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

The first post is the scary one and it gets easier every time.

Please post any photos of porches you would like to share in the Reference Image Library. I for one would love to paint a summer porch scene.

And Please join us in the Daily Wash here in the Water Colour Forum and many of us post a picture in that thread as well for all to enjoy.

Looking forward to more from you

Gail

:)

bluesrbest
05-13-2003, 04:14 PM
Thanks for your comments, Andrea, Jim, Irene and Gail. Well, looks like I'd better get some good photos and do this again - as a WIP next time (and will be glad to share the photos). There are some interesting porches around and I should be able to start another next week. Glad you all liked it. Thanks for the "invite" to the Daily Wash - I wondered what that was all about - now I know!
______
Rhonda
:cat:

mhimeswc
05-13-2003, 05:52 PM
This is really beautiful!!! I love the look of poured paintings, but I detest using masking fluid so I have never tried one myself. It does seem like it would be fun though, and your's came out really great. You should definitely do more of them.

Michelle

Nitsa
05-13-2003, 06:25 PM
Stunning in every way!

Hmmmmm, this pouring lark looks like fun...Looking fwd to a WIP Rhonda

lyn lynch
05-13-2003, 06:38 PM
Hi, Rhonda,
This Painted Lady-Lemonaide House is exactly that. What a wonderful feel of old fashioned gentility. She feels so happy in her restoritive atmosphere. Too bad people who buy these lovely old places do not research to paint them in period.

As you already know, a pour is not simply slinging paint on the support. You have done well with creatiing your mood, witness the recess areas, for example. Lovely shadows, anyone for a game of cricket?

ripvanblair
05-13-2003, 07:48 PM
Very nice colours Rhonda, nice feel to this one -----well done---------Alan

Srettig
05-13-2003, 07:52 PM
very nice Ronda! Its peaceful.

tessp
05-13-2003, 08:30 PM
Hi Rhonda,

What a lovely painting. Your style reminds me of Judi Betts (http://www.xtraordinaryart.com/Watercolor_Judi_Betts_Design.htm). Is she an influence?

Tess

Little Old Lady
05-13-2003, 08:33 PM
welcome Rhonda. What a great way to start out. Love your painting and anxious to see what you do with Yupo.
JoAnn

bluesrbest
05-13-2003, 09:51 PM
Thanks for your comments, Michelle, Nitsa. Fookie, I'm not very good at cricket but I'm very competitive ;)
Thanks Alan, Srettig. Tess, I have heard of Judi Betts but haven't studied her work or seen what she does. I thought she was more experimental? JoAnn, my yupo is drying as we speak so should be able to post it (almost done and could use some suggestions to help me make it better) tomorrow.
Have a great evening, all!
______
Rhonda
Pampe, I did a Google search for Jean Gasdorf and only came up with people who had studied with her. No webpage and no books on Amazon. Does she just teach workshops? How do people hear about her?

Mary Smith
05-13-2003, 10:13 PM
Rhonda, good to see you here!!!!!
I like your painting very much, I love all the color!
Keep posting, most of us don't bite and you can always bite back, lol!

Deb Leger
05-13-2003, 11:43 PM
Beautiful work, Rhonda. I'm glad you posted it. And I can't wait to see what else you've added to the yupo, 'cause it was gorgeous as is when I saw it!!!

Keep up the awesome work, Pal.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Deb

mhimeswc
05-14-2003, 01:34 AM
Hi Rhonda! I didn't even notice that it was you! I'm glad to see a familiar name. (Is that Deb here too?) I really like your painting. It looks a lot like my sister's back porch in Maine, except that the sun never hits that side of the house.

I located the webpage for Jean Grastorf.

http://hometown.aol.com/cwgfl/jean_grastorf.html

Michelle

Olga
05-14-2003, 03:59 AM
Glad you posted and welcome!

Your pour is really lovely--I like the contrast of the hard edged patterns of the railings and boards against the sofltly flowing colors in the pour.
Olga

bluesrbest
05-14-2003, 07:48 AM
Hey, Mary, Deb and Michelle! Thanks for posting, you girls! Nice to see a few familiar pals around, too. Of course, I've been lurking so long, I feel like I know a lot of the people here already - and I've had such a great reception I think I'll try it again :)
Michelle - thanks for that site - guess I didn't look hard enough - will definitely check out her stuff.
Thanks, Olga, for commenting!
Hope you all are having a good day so far...
______
Rhonda