PDA

View Full Version : My first post

imahappy
05-13-2003, 10:10 AM
I need to say that this painting was done before I found Wetcanvas when I knew NOTHING about watercolor painting -- not even about stretching paper. If this post works, I will try to post another painting soon showing how much I have learned from this site. Critiques welcome always. HP Arches full sheet.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/19108-sherry_painting.jpg
Thanks, Sherry.

artmom
05-13-2003, 10:16 AM
Sherry, congratulations on your first post! Look forward to seeing more. Interesting vantage point!

babybrush
05-13-2003, 10:18 AM
good job! and what a HUGE painting. well, maybe not huge but bigger than i've ever done.

Bethany

imahappy
05-13-2003, 10:25 AM
Thanks TN Lynn and Bethany for your comments. I haven't done any smaller paintings, so far all (4) have been full sheet. This scene is Southwest Harbor, Maine from one of my photographs.

pampe
05-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Sherry

This is WONDERFUL!!!!

You know there is a thread about first paintings and now after WC!...I'll pull it up later so you can add to it!

Good job!

Amazing and BIG!

Pam

lyn lynch
05-13-2003, 10:39 AM
OH, I'M LOVIN' IT...
Full Sheet? Is it 300#?
Good palette, harmonious, and (2) focal points!
I love the cast reflections.
Did you view the STICKY at the top of the page? Lots of reference tips.
And, Daily WASH is our "coffeehouse" for this forum, where we talk about, and post personal images, like snaps of our children, etc.
Welcome...glad to see you. I can't paint a landscape. :(

CharM
05-13-2003, 10:41 AM
Sherry, wow a full sheet! Congratulations on your first post! My brother-in-law lives in Maine and I particularly enjoy our visits there because of the beautiful countryside... You have certainly done this harbour justice.

lynn_cyr
05-13-2003, 10:42 AM
WOW! Full sheet... how I long for that day to come when I can tackle a painting that large :)

Welcome to the group, Sherry! This is a lovely painting, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done AFTER learning from the people here at WC!

Lynn

mustcreate
05-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Full Sheet?!!! boy you sure like to get your feet wet!! lol

awesome job!!

nice sky and good reflections.

I would have preferred to see the horizon line moved away from the center of the sheet - either up or down :)

em

karenjh
05-13-2003, 10:53 AM
A full sheet right off the bat! Holy Cow! Nice first painting.

bluesrbest
05-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Well, if this was done before you knew much about watercolor, I can't wait to see what you're doing now. Excellent water - which is very hard to get right. And so brave in the size, too! Post more! I've been lurking for a while, just posting to threads but not my own work yet - I should get brave, too.
______
Rhonda

imahappy
05-13-2003, 11:19 AM
Wow, thank you all.

Fookie - #140, 2 focal points! I will have to go look myself, didn't realize.

Pampe - such compliments coming from someone whose work I have been admiring for months.

Lynn - thanks. Didn't realize at time I painted this, that full sheet was not the norm

Char - Maine has many beautiful sites, but Bar Harbor is my absolute favorite for most beautiful. All the lakes, streams, brooks, ocean, harbors, I love water. Can you tell?

Mustcreate - thank you for your compliments and the critique. I agree about horizon line - as I said, this was before I learned so much here and now know horizon line shouldn't be there.

Rhonda - I've been lurking too. I went to parents to get photo because I don't have scanner or digital camera. You must be brave and post. All of these people are so kind and extremely helpful. It is fascinating seeing all the different styles of people's work. and the WIPs!! I love it here.

Alan Cross
05-13-2003, 12:26 PM
Good job on your first post Sherry looking forward to seeing more.
Alan :)

tigre255
05-13-2003, 12:28 PM
Sherry this is wonderful for a beginner........can't wait to see your most recent work.........

Strawberry Wine
05-13-2003, 03:50 PM
Lovely painting Sherry: Welcome and glad you have posted your first.

I am impressed by the fact that you are working on a full sheet. I have never done anything bigger than 11 x 14. Just tooo scary for me yet. But I am thinking about a half sheet. LOL

Gail