PDA

View Full Version : Do you paint the canvas edge?

s-augustson
05-13-2003, 08:20 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-13-2003/7809_468banr.gif

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Do you paint the canvas edge?
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: ?
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
question

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Do you paint the canvas edge? I never have, I just leave them sometime white with various paint colors showing on it. I have noticed some artist selling on eBay who do paint them a solid color.

Wayne Gaudon
05-13-2003, 08:25 AM
When I use stretched canvas I don't paint it .. to me it's a tacky way of saying .. no frame required as the paint will frame the painting .. I think all paintings should have frames .. I'm sure there are a ton of others who think differently but it's no matter .. it's what you think that matters .. it's your art.

Paintonbrush
05-13-2003, 10:11 AM
Actually, I paint all of them, but I have my 12 year old do it, it gives us some quiet time together and lets him feel the experience of oil.

pero lane
05-13-2003, 10:39 AM
For a locally comissioned work..I ask. I also like paintings in frames but the one with the checkbook makes that decision for me. I've noticed alot of works on Ebay on wraparound canvas that is painted & announces "no frame needed, just hang" Like everyone else I'd say it's a personal choice.

jerryW
05-13-2003, 01:12 PM
always - always - always,
framing is not essential.
each of my postings are so defficient since I don't show how the painting is extended arond the edge.
angles and colors continue, sometimes faces complete.

Gilberte
05-13-2003, 03:19 PM
Over here lots of upcoming artists exhibit their paintings frameless, with the edges painted ... personally I like it very well.

Jeanette Diaz
05-13-2003, 07:43 PM
I always paint the edges black with acrylic. I think it just finishes it for me. Its a ritual and I use my fingers when I do it.
Leaves it nice and smooth.

I know it's probably weird but I guess I am a little nutty. ;)

mattlart
05-13-2003, 07:54 PM
It has to be simply a matter of taste;..just as every other small decision in creating artwork must be,,.; I think..
Personally,..only on large paintings(ie: 40" x 40" and larger) do I leave them unframed occasionally. In those cases,..the canvas is mounted on pretty deep,substantial stretcher bars,....
and I'll take a rag,..dip it in burnt sienna,...(LOVE burnt sienna,..lol);....and stain the edges.
Of course,..it all depends on WHERE the work is sold.

I've come to the conclusion that the smaller the painting;..the more it will benefit from a beautiful, quality frame. Cheers...

bocote
05-13-2003, 10:06 PM
I dont paint mine. I'm not sure how well paint sticks to copper nail heads in the long run and I'd hate to have paint pieces falling down on to someone's loveseat.

In the past I've done a couple works where I painted the edge, but those were on the store bought pre made canvases with the finished sides.