PDA

View Full Version : Long overdue shell

mchew
05-13-2003, 04:13 AM
I signed up for Madmum's shell project way back in January... and only started doing it in March at my art class but for some peculiar reasons, when I wet the paper for stretching, there some spots and patches on certain areas of the paper (sizing problem??). May be I kept it for too long?? Bought it in November last year....Paper is Saunders... forgot whether it's CP or Rough.

However, I carried on with the stretching and painted the shell until I got so fed up with the paper that I put it aside and painted something else.

Came back to it today and the sizing problems are still there... it's not too bad once it dries up... so, I finished it.... and now I'm knocking my head on the wall cos I quite like it but would the paper last considering the sizing problem?? Lesson learnt... I MUST NOT USE DEFECTIVE MATERIALS!!!

I'll post it in the project later.

Size: 20" x 14"
Ref Image posted by Emily in the Ref Library

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/14541-shell.jpg

madmum
05-13-2003, 04:49 AM
Better late than never, Marvin :D

I can't see any obvious problems with the paper, and the sizing (as far as I know) won't have a negative effect on how long the paper lasts.

Nice painting, Marvin, still looking for something you can't paint! lol Maybe I'd crop the left side?

Ruth

Sharon Douglas
05-13-2003, 04:55 AM
HI Marvin,
I agree with Ruth, is there nothing that you can`t paint?...lol....
this is exellant and I can`t see any problems with the sizing either.
Sharon.

rapolina
05-13-2003, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by madmum
Maybe I'd crop the left side?

Ruth

beautiful! i was just wondering the crop and i read what Ruth posted. I agree, the composition is too much centered IMHO... ii'd crop nearly half of the lefter shell and a little bit of the near/above one.

ciao, rapolina.:clap:

Nitsa
05-13-2003, 05:02 AM
Beautiful Marvin!

mchew
05-13-2003, 05:11 AM
Thanks for your comments, Ruth, Sharon, rapolina and Anita.

This is close up of the sizing problem... see the little dark spots? perhaps I could pass it off as a special effect or happy accident?? LOL
:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/14541-shell-sizing-probem.jpg

M.A.
05-13-2003, 05:43 AM
Well done! I think the sizing issue is a happy accident on this one!

DaZZer
05-13-2003, 06:46 AM
Excellent painting Marvin, It looks like you could pick the shells up they look so real - I also like the contrast of the colourful abstract background with the realism of the shells... btw.. I agree with the crop too.

CharM
05-13-2003, 07:17 AM
Marvin, the paper problems turned into a happy accident... I had brand new paper when I painted my yellow rose and the sizing kept lifting into my brush... My paper was definitely not good quality and like, you, have now made up my mind that good quality materials are worth the price...

Anyway, I don't agree with the crop suggestions... I like it centered...

tigre255
05-13-2003, 07:39 AM
I really like this one even with the sizing problems......agree with the crop idea.....

And still wondering what you can't paint.......:D

Uschi
05-13-2003, 08:26 AM
Agree with the others - "Is there anything you can't paint"!!!????
Turned out beautiful Marvin!!!!
Uschi

Starsprite
05-13-2003, 08:33 AM
What beautiful shells Marvin!!! I reall like the contrast of the shells against the background... they look very real. Sizing problem looks like "happy little accident" to me. Looks like it fits right in with the background to me.

THERE IS NOTHING MARVIN CAN'T PAINT!! :) :clap: :clap:

surreal
05-13-2003, 09:05 AM
It's a beautiful painting.

I like the vantage point!

mchew
05-13-2003, 09:29 AM
Thanks for looking, Mary Ann, Dazzer, Char, Barb, Uschi, Patty and Nina.

I'll think about cropping when I frame it.

Well... I think I can't paint nude and portrait... getting the likeness is a BIG problem.

artmom
05-13-2003, 09:45 AM
Marvin, the shells just glow! I bet you could, too, paint nudes and portraits!!!! LOL

Crystal Owl
05-13-2003, 10:02 AM
Nice one Marvin :)

Irene

els
05-13-2003, 10:18 AM
Another fantastic one Marvin. Is there anything you cannot paint???

pampe
05-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Marvin

this works...and if you had not mentioned the sizing...no one would know

I agree to a crop////shells will really POP

Good work

Pam

mchew
05-13-2003, 11:12 AM
Thanks, Lyn, Irene and els.

Lyn, I'll try those one day...

karenjh
05-13-2003, 11:15 AM
You are so talented in so many different subjects. I also wouldn't worry about the sizing/paper problem - this looks great as is.

mchew
05-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Thanks Pam... we're posting at the same time.

Karen, thanks... you're too kind.. you ALL are... :)

Bill J
05-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Marvin, super job --I particularly like the.
upper right second shell down (pink)-- I'm on a shadow/reflection kick and this is perfect. It would be great if you showed us students a step by step of this technique.

bill:clap:

Zarathustra
05-13-2003, 12:09 PM
You're a diverse talent Marvin, when you're traversing the continents with your worldwide art exhibition, don't forget your old pal Z. ;)

mchew
05-15-2003, 07:14 AM
Thanks Bill and Gavin.

Bill, it's just glazing technique and remember to make the objects stand out by shadings and lightings.... always remember the light source... add more layers from lights to darks and you have it!

marilyn h
05-16-2003, 02:41 PM
Are you sure there is a problem? LOL! It looks like the paper has mildewed sometime in it's lifetime. No problem! You used it to your advantage. When the paper was stored, it acquired moisture. Won't harm your painting now or ever. Just a grand display of shells.