PDA

View Full Version : Granddaughter's Portrait

lakelovers
05-13-2003, 02:09 AM
I welcome all comments. For starters, I don't like the background. And, I think the values on the face could be stronger (darker in the shadows). The original is a bit more saturated than this upload. The eyes seem out of whack with one a bit larger but I used a photo reference and that's pretty much the way the photo is. The painting is gone (she gave it to her mother for Mother's Day), so I can't make changes but I'll learn from your comments. Jerry
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/3355-Kelly.jpg

rapolina
05-13-2003, 03:28 AM
really nice and fresh! you cauth her smile to the life!
how old is she? i think she's just teenager
:clap: :clap:

ciao, rapolina.

Nitsa
05-13-2003, 05:05 AM
I like your technique...I agree, she looks teenager years.
I actually like the b/g, gives a nice fresh look to the piece!

Sharon Douglas
05-13-2003, 05:09 AM
This has a lovely summery feel to it, I bet her mum was over the moon with it.
Sharon.

M.A.
05-13-2003, 05:39 AM
This portrait has a lovely, fresh feeling to it. The recipient is very lucky and I'm sure pleased too!!! I really like the way you've handled the background too ... the hint of the daylilies are perfect!!!

CharM
05-13-2003, 08:10 AM
She has an absolutely wonderful smile that lights up your painting. You did an excellent job and I'm sure her Mother is thrilled... Your concern about the size of the smaller eye... firstly, its not a big deal because this is beautiful overall... secondly, is it possible that you missed a crease in her eyelid because she's "smiling with her eyes"?

Annetta
05-13-2003, 08:40 AM
Jerry, I think you've captured her personality so very well!!

Think her eyelid is just fine. Lovely smile and a fresh look to the entire painting. :clap: :clap:

pampe
05-13-2003, 10:42 AM
wow

great work on a portrait!

I think if you had made that BG darker....she would have really shined......but it's a great piece and I am sure her Mom loved it!

Pam

lyn lynch
05-13-2003, 10:55 AM
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry,
This is problem w/following photograph of face. Always think shape of face and the way the features follow-through, around the head--photograph distorts. If you want to do more figureheads, suggest you look through drawing lessons on this board [search features], or check out book from library.
Anyway, this youngster smiling with her eyes. and tilt of head would produce difference in eye size.
I think this portrait is EXCELLENT!! Two thumbs UP...No more darks in features, please, this is youngster, features are not that pronounced yet, that's why it is often difficult to get a likeness, always reading more into it than is actually there. This is GREAT painting. Just wash back the far left definition on the left eye shape to lessen the hard edge, because she is turned and it should be softer.
B/G wonderful! Inspired infact. Love it!!!
Hair very good, nice to see darks next to face, where they belong.
Could soften up the blue underarm edge if you wanted to.

lakelovers
05-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Thank you all for your encouraging comments. My granddaughter is 15. The reference photo pictures her with her mother and a friend. She's leaning into her mother (my daughter) who I would have included in the painting but for a poor expression. The photo head size is about one inch square so I didn't have a good reference for detail, particularly the eyes. While I can't see the fold in her right eye in the photo I should have put one in. Or, I could have fuzzed that eye a bit as Fookie suggests. In fact I think both eye lines should have been soften a bit. My granddaughter likes the painting and her mother loves it so that's what counts.

Marquisina
05-14-2003, 03:37 AM
Jerry

I really like this portrait! You've done a wonderful job.
I found this site very helpful with proportions with faces, etc.

http://www.gameartworks.com/LoomisBooks/heads/page_01.htm

Other than the eye problem you mentioned, I don't see anything wrong with your painting. I really like it a lot! Congrats!

Marquis

lakelovers
05-14-2003, 02:10 PM
Marquis, Thanks for the cluing me in on that web site. I'll go to school on it. And thanks for your applause. Jerry